Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Linux

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Mac

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • Something else

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters
Just bought a Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro android phone with Snapdragon CPU so I'm hoping to get back into some android gaming for on the go goodness. I have an Asus Zenpad tablet I got a couple of years ago which I loaded up with games and emulators, including Drastic DS and Magic DOSbox, and just as soon as I can figure out how to batch copy/transfer them all to my phone I'll be good to go. Don't wanna experience the tedium of reinstalling and configuring each individual game and/or emulator ever again.

I would like to recommend a particular brand of laptop, though: MSI.

I've only owned one hardware product from MSI and they taught me a valuable lesson about never buying factory overclocked video cards ever again. I had their Nvidia GTX 660 Ti OC edition and it would constantly crash because it was factory overclocked beyond the ideal specs. Ironically I had to use their MSI Afterburner software to underclock it by 10% to get it back to stable specifications. I do like that software though. Still use it today with my Asus GTX 1070 card in fact.

I've only owned one hardware product from MSI and they taught me a valuable lesson about never buying factory overclocked video cards ever again. I had their Nvidia GTX 660 Ti OC edition and it would constantly crash because it was factory overclocked beyond the ideal specs. Ironically I had to use their MSI Afterburner software to underclock it by 10% to get it back to stable specifications. I do like that software though. Still use it today with my Asus GTX 1070 card in fact.

Yes, that could be an issue, although I haven't experienced it personally.

I too like Afterburner for its overclocking/underclocking capabilities and I also use it as a usage monitor. In tandem with RivaTuner it is almost perfect for on-screen monitoring in games but I've also set it up as a temperature and usage monitor in my system tray:

aUsLuEG.png

I can easily glance over and check my temps and which cores are used when I'm doing some CPU-intensive (green numbers and bars) or GPU-intensive (pink/purple) work. The yellow bar is my RAM usage. The only things bothering me are lack of CPU voltage monitoring and the fact that these numbers get rearranged every time I log in so I have to arrange them how I like them, every single time :furious:. It takes ~10 seconds so it's not a big deal, though.

Why can i only choose 1 ;)

* Windows 10.. (i5 8600K @5GHz, 1080ti, 34" samsung LS34E790CN and a LG OLED 55" B7V)

* PS4 Pro. Since it has some must-have exclusives, way too good to miss out on; Bloodborne, Horizon Zero Dawn, Last of Us, Shadow Of The Colossus, Uncharted, RDR2, Days Gone (last two seems good at least, not released yet)

Multiple systems here as well - and while not gaming too much, if I look across the last few months, I would list in order:
- Windows 10 on the Dell G7 I got a few months back (actually a great system for the money, fully loaded out version)
- MacOS X (the little 12" Macbook, Intel graphics do pretty well for stuff)
- Sony Playstation Vita (Legend of Heroes series, mostly - but also GTA Vice City Stories lately)

Pretty much stopped playing at all on tablets or phones.

Candy Crush!? What are you people talking about?? Maybe I turned it off way back when I first got 10?

Honestly, the only real difference I notice between 10 and 7 is that, when copying/moving files and you run into a conflict, Windows 10 (and 8)'s little dialog box to ask you what you want to do about it often comes up behind all other windows. Maybe they're doing it to try and keep from stealing focus? Whatever the case, it's mighty annoying IMHO. Also, the new Start menu is nicer.

I also noticed when the hacked drivers for my SoundBlaster card stopped working but that card had to be at least 15 years old so it's hard to get really upset.

I'm surprised you haven't heard of it. Here's it mentioned in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, it only affects certain versions of Windows 10:
Games like Candy Crush won't install on Enterprise or Education SKUs, or any Pro device that is joined to AD or AAD.

C64->DOS->Win95->Win98->Win98SE->WinXp->Win7->Win10

Besides of that, I only played on my brother's Gameboy about 24 years ago.
Never owned any console, nor any mobile phone.

Started with BASIC connected on the TV then a 386 with DOS then all the windows versions except for ME and 8 witch are crap.

CPET->AppleII->C64->Amiga->DOS->Win95->Win98->WinXP->Win7->Win8(crap)->Win7->Win10
My PC is dual boot, XP & Win10 on separate drives, but I rarely use XP anymore.
I also game on consoles...
Pong->Intellivision->Dreamcast->PS2->XBox->XB360->PS3->XB1->XB1X

Speaking of Amiga and DOS and Apple II et al and all that old retro goodness, I have a HyperSpin setup on two of my Windows boxes that plays just about every game of the 8 & 16-bit era that was ever released. HyperSpin is a great big clunky mess under the hood compared to Launch Box but since I spent about an entire year configuring my Great Retro Gaming God Machine gathering hundreds upon hundreds of gigabytes of media files for thousands upon thousands of ROMS and ISOs, I'm not about to switch over to Launch Box unless I can find a utility to automate that process.

tNcp02k

Win 7. Switched to Win10 early, got some very in depth update problems (with update -> reboot loops), also start button app system not working repeatedly -> had to go back to Win 7. Win 10 was alright, that kind of touch UI put on top of it is utter bullshit on a PC, it does not feel... native. But when operating Win10 machines I use the old control panel/computer management etc. thing anyway.
May try again at some point.

I'm surprised you haven't heard of it. Here's it mentioned in 2015, 2016, 2017, and 2018. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, it only affects certain versions of Windows 10:
I've got plain old Windows 10 but I doubt I would remember uninstalling it clear back in 2015, so I'm betting that's what happened.

As a kid (i.e. my parent's PC… when I let them touch it):
Apple 2+ -> DOS
My own:
Atari 800XL -> Atari 1040ST -> Windows 3.11 / OS/2 Warp dual boot - eventually replaced OS/2 with linux -> Win95->Win 98->Win ME->Win XP->Win Vista->Win 7->Win 10

Well for those who want a history of OS:

cpm->msdos->mac (that cube thing)->msdos->win95->win7->win10
|->freebsd----->linux
(I skipped windows 3.1; in 1995 I started using two systems with one on freebsd)
-
i switched to linux for two reasons - first freebsd would not support ide devices for ages and the package manager was a pia compared to linux. Today freebsd does support ide devices but no clue about the package manager - freebsd is technically superior but linux is better supported for cheap devices.

Well for those who want a history of OS:

cpm->msdos->mac (that cube thing)->msdos->win95->win7->win10
|->freebsd----->linux
(I skipped windows 3.1; in 1995 I started using two systems with one on freebsd)
-
i switched to linux for two reasons - first freebsd would not support ide devices for ages and the package manager was a pia compared to linux. Today freebsd does support ide devices but no clue about the package manager - freebsd is technically superior but linux is better supported for cheap devices.

Big FreeBSD / OpenBSD fan here. Haven't worked with it for years, work only seems to want RHEL, Oracle (RHEL) or SuSE because of their desire for support contracts.

For games, Windows 10 has been great and I really have no complaints. Steam Link is amazing on 4K TV with 7.1 in the nerd lair with a 360 controller. Distant second would be the Nintendo Switch which I do enjoy but PC is king for me.

I have a hard time believing XBox and PS are beating the Switch, iOS, and Android even for this crowd.

Currently on an original Xbox kick. About 5 years ago, I modded my OGXBox and replaced the original 8GB hard drive with a Maxtor 100GB drive then dumped all my Xbox game discs onto it so I never have to use the DVD drive ever again. Then I put the whole damn thing in storage, not playing a single game, until about a month ago when I suddenly got the urge to upgrade my ol' OGXbox even further. Recently bought a Monster Cable component cable, an IDE to SATA adapter so I can install a 1.5TB Seagate HDD, some 2.5mm to 3.5mm/RCA adapters so I can get true Dolby 5.1 digital surround sound, and soon I'll be ready to rock and ROLL, baby!

Windows 10 pro, and I don't get Candy Crush or all the hate. Yes I had to remove a lot of junk-ware, but the gaming is just fine. I have had to tweak every version of windows so this seemed no different to me.

DOS->Win 3.11->Win95->Win98->Win98SE->WinME->Win2k->WinXp->WinVista->Win7->Win10->Win7

WinME was a special case, BSODed directly after installation, crashed all day all night. But well, hardware was a bigger problem back in the olde days… ME was very sensitive.
WinVista was annoying at first, but was pretty OK in the end.
Win10 gave me serious unsolvable Update loops and start menu problems (unresponsive) - was some deep stuff, I got sick of it and returned to Win7. Now I am too lazy to install Win10 again (always do it from the ground up).

Big FreeBSD / OpenBSD fan here.
Have never seen any of the BSDs in a corporate environment. Where is it used? Typically, beside Windows AD, more or less well known Linux distributions are used.

I wonder shy one should use e.g. FreeBSD on a private Computer. Maybe some people don't do more than OS+Windowmanager+Mail/Browser/Text Editing…

Back
Top Bottom