Jade Empire: SE - Available On GOG

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Jade Empire is now available on GOG for $9.99. This is good news for those that haven't played the game. Now if only Bioware would make a new sequel.

The fate of an empire is in your hands. Will you save or doom the ancient realm? The Jade Empire suffers from the violent upheaval of rebellion. The once-beloved Emperor Sun Hai falls prey to a corrupting influence that turns his brothers against him. Now, you must choose sides as the dark mysteries of the crumbling empire unfurl before you: why do the dead now walk the earth? What has caused Sun Hai to become twisted and evil? What was your role in the past and what is your destiny for the future?

Step into the role of an aspiring martial-arts master and follow the path of the open palm or the closed fist. In this multi-award-winning action-RPG, your choices and actions will determine the fate of the entire Jade Empire. Will you prevent the destruction of this beautiful land, or will you crush it beneath your heel? Are you a warrior who uses his strength and fighting mastery to bring peace, or will you instead use your power to bring pain and ruin? The choice is yours.

More information.

I really never understood why EA didn't make a sequel to this game.
Oops, sorry. I do understand. It's EA.

I really never understood why EA didn't make a sequel to this game.
Oops, sorry. I do understand. It's EA.
There was always talk of a sequal but nothing ever came out of those rumors. Jade Empire 2 using the Frostbite Engine would be a dream come true.

Your dream. My would be JE2 using either (if it's possible to make thirdperson view in it) Crytek3 or CDprojekt's engine used for TW3.
What am I saying again… As long as it's not Zenimax' chainsaw sound engine, it'd be great.

Jade Empire was the first clear step down for Bioware. Don't know why people are so crazy about it - but that's how we differ.

Jade Empire was the first clear step down for Bioware. Don't know why people are so crazy about it - but that's how we differ.
Yeah I understand that. It was the first step in the company's new direction. I still like it though can't say why when their new games always bother me.

Maybe it was the underused setting they used. Ancient China instead of your typical fantasy.

Your dream. My would be JE2 using either (if it's possible to make thirdperson view in it) Crytek3 or CDprojekt's engine used for TW3.
What am I saying again… As long as it's not Zenimax' chainsaw sound engine, it'd be great.
The Red Engine would be good also but as you said it's EA's property now and they want all their games on one unified engine.

Developers of the "2005 RPG of the year," huh? Obsidian might have something to say about that. Jackasses.

As for the game, I could never finish it. If Fable and cliche asian culture references had a child, and its gameplay got streamlined into a pile of monotonous combat and linear corridors - that would be Jade Empire.

Jade Empire definitely wasn't Bioware's first step in a new direction, but I agree it was a notch below anything they had done up to that point in time.

Jade Empire definitely wasn't Bioware's first step in a new direction, but I agree it was a notch below anything they had done up to that point in time.

I agree - I felt that after playing JE that it showed many KotOR hallmarks … and pretty much everything that has aged poorly in KotOR is present (and worse IMO) in Jade Empire, and just got worse and worse from there, particularly in Mass Defect. ;)

Oh - and $14.99? WTF? WAY overpriced. Also, this was released for Mac as well, so I wonder why it isn't present for Mac on GoG?

It was a great idea and it was fun for maybe 15 hours give or take so $15 doesn't sound that bad but I'm sure you can find better.

Every time I play a fighting game I wish it had just given us two or three characters then let us use one of those characters in an RPG instead of concentrating on player vs. player. Soul Calibur 3(?) had a horrifically weak 'campaign' mode but even that little bit made it my favorite fighting game.

I don't know about a step in a new direction but it was the first time bioware dissapointed me. I thought , oh bioware, instabuy. Boy was I wrong.

It's a step in a new direction if you count south as a direction ;)

While KotOR was definitely more streamlined and accessible than Baldur's Gate 2 and Neverwinter Nights - it was still an absolutely fantastic package with lots of depth in the right places. I consider it the peak of their talents - as I believe I've mentioned before. That's also because I'm not religiously against making games accessible - it all depends on the end result and whether there's still something left for me.

Jade Empire had almost nothing interesting in terms of gameplay - and it was excessively linear and straightforward. Clearly made almost exclusively for a more casual console audience - where I see KotOR as a true hybrid.

In fact, I think Jade Empire is the worst game they ever made.

Loved the atmosphere, world, story, writing and character development. All despite the terrible gameplay, inventory system and horrific consolization designs. The music and voice acting was superb.

The world was an original creation unlike previous titles, which is just another reason, it was stand out work. I also found many of the quests well written and creative.

Aamof, going to install it and play another game, especially considering the low quality of releases recently.

Thanks for the story! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom