Legends Of Dawn

Roq

Seeker
Original Sin Donor
One that seems to have gone under the radar somewhat. the Kickstarter has just concluded, but they do have Paypal pledges on the site.

Here is the Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/522716131/legends-of-dawn

and this is their site: http://www.dreamatrix.net/site/index.php

Looks like it's going to be a pretty good game too and slated for release next month (or so :)). At first sight it looks a bit like your common or garden ARPG, but in fact they've got a lot of interesting looking mechanics some of which are quite original reworkings of some of the old school ideas from the days of yore.

Oh and they still need greenlight on Steam.

Last edited:
For all those who missed Kickstarter project, LoD is awailable as pre-order on Steam till 4th of July (that date has no significance in the country devs live in ;)).
-20% sets the price on about $12:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/234980/

I backed this game in December. There is a lot of grumbling and griping on numerous forums that this game is a train wreck right now. Nowhere NEAR finished. While that may not be a problem if they stick with it and constantly patch it, there are those who seriously think they won't. My advice is for people to wait and see what happens. I am sorry i backed it. i hope someday I'm not, but I'm also not going to be surprised if it stays that way.

I backed this game in December. There is a lot of grumbling and griping on numerous forums that this game is a train wreck right now. Nowhere NEAR finished. While that may not be a problem if they stick with it and constantly patch it, there are those who seriously think they won't. My advice is for people to wait and see what happens. I am sorry i backed it. i hope someday I'm not, but I'm also not going to be surprised if it stays that way.

It's a shame ... this game has potential ... with many cool ideas but it failed to execute... too bad.

It's a shame … this game has potential … with many cool ideas but it failed to execute… too bad.

Yeah - Was somewhat overoptimistic in the OP. Putting this one on hold for a few months to see if they can iron out the numerous issues. Feel they pulled the wool over our eyes a bit about the state of readiness of this game on Kickstarter and maybe in future I will be more suspicious when I ask: "How are you beta testing this game?", "why aren't you using Kickstarter pledgers for testing?" and got no answer...

I'm more worried about the stuff they promised for bigger backers.

-unfinished games are released when developers run out of money because of overoptimistic plans
-if money takes priority over quality (logically, since they ran out of it) then the first funds they receive are most likely gonna be used to patch the game.
-look at the stuff they promised to some backers; crunch some numbers and you'll realize how much they'd have to give up on that could otherwise be used to either save their doomed product or work on a new game/minigame

Well, version 1.7 is out and the game is totally playable. It's a little on the rough side as far as combat is concerned but there is a ton of stuff to craft from weapons, to clothing to your own spells. The camera angle is also off, I keep wanting to look up. And the music is mostly uninspiring. Still, I can see myself getting lost in this vast world. I already put in about 10 hours (that includes a number of restarts) and I can see myself going for quite a while. Now that the game is in a playable state I can see the developers vision. It seems thus far to be a nice game.

The camera angle is also off, I keep wanting to look up. And the music is mostly uninspiring.

That was the one thing that was pretty much a game breaker for me, when I played it. Was just hoping they would find some way of fixing it before I give the game another spin. Wonder if they are still working on it.

LOD has a very rich game world. There's just so much stuff in the game to do. If these guys can stick with it, they could have quite the franchise somewhere down the road.

I had a lot of fun with it as well. I even helped them fix on issue :)

Legends of Dawn is pretty decent, Warmark. Not an award winner, but I'd say that you'll get at least 15-20 hours of fun out of it. I got about 160 hours on Steam, but a lot of that was testing to help out. I think it should be more fun now than when I played it. The devs were working on a fast travel system, which wasn't implemented when I played. Basically you activate teleport pads and can buy scrolls to teleport to the larger towns was the plan. That should be in-game by now.

Legends of Dawn is pretty decent, Warmark. Not an award winner, but I'd say that you'll get at least 15-20 hours of fun out of it. I got about 160 hours on Steam, but a lot of that was testing to help out. I think it should be more fun now than when I played it. The devs were working on a fast travel system, which wasn't implemented when I played. Basically you activate teleport pads and can buy scrolls to teleport to the larger towns was the plan. That should be in-game by now.
wouldn't that make it even shorter than 15-20 hours? or was that estimate already including the teleporters?

Oh no. The game is pretty long. I'm just guessing that most people don't finish games nowadays. I play slow. I like reloading treasure, trying to go to unaccessable spots, etc. I played for 160 hours and never got close to the end because I got caught up in testing. There is a pretty fun game here. I didn't review it because I only made it about halfway before I started trying to help instead of playing. I very much plan on coming back to this game and finishing pretty soon.

Somebody brought up Kult: Heretic Kingdoms so I wandered over to that game and started playing. That happens with me ;)

The reviews have been devastating, most likely because of the technical flaws.
Can you give us a short preview about what we can expect of the game considering story, NPC interaction, combat and skill system?

Okay.

Story

The story is mostly lame but here goes. There was an ancient artifact called the Dawn that was too powerful to totally destroy but was broken up into several fragment artifacts. Your avatar comes upon the story by accident. Your foster father is a military man and you follow in his footsteps. However, when he goes on a fact-finding mission to learn what is causing stress between the various races, he leaves you sleeping on the ship, perhaps with the help of a sleeping draught; who knows? You wake up to find he has too much of a head start, so you talk to the ship's guard who has you talk to the villagers to learn what you can.

NPC Interaction

You'll walk around town and quickly learn there are 3 merchant groups and then the general populace. You'll be able to get quests from several folks, so be sure to talk to everyone. There are several people who will not give you quests at first, but as you become more well known they'll trust you enough to ask for help. When I played the merchants all gave the same prices for everything, but that was supposed to be patched up so that the more you do for one group, the better the prices. No idea if that's been fixed.

More later if you're interested...I just realized it's past my bedtime ;)

Back
Top Bottom