Coronavirus (No Politics)

After my second dose (Pfizer) my arm hurt like hell for a few days and I couldn't sleep on that side. The odd thing is that I felt fine that day and even the next day, but the third day it hit me. I wasn't bed-ridden, but I definitely wasn't leaving the house or doing anything physical.

My shot was the Johnson/Jenson one, I believe I failed to mention that in my prior post. Everyone else in my immediate family (that's currently twenty-two relatives, all within fifty miles) had the Pfizer shots, with nothing serious happening save for my mum, who had some intestinal issues yet those could also be due to other medications or sheer age.

Well, looks like some Delta has slipped through our border.
We have a zero tolerance thing going on over here, so the whole country goes into lockdown tomorrow. I work from home, so that's going to be slightly annoying, but the kids are celebrating having no school for a few days.

I hope you can avoid it, Shagnak. Mask up and be safe!

My seriously backwards state (Florida) seems to be on the verge of inventing its own variants....time will tell, lol.

Well, looks like some Delta has slipped through our border.
We have a zero tolerance thing going on over here, so the whole country goes into lockdown tomorrow. I work from home, so that's going to be slightly annoying, but the kids are celebrating having no school for a few days.

I heard it was literally a single case. You Kiwis aren't messing around when you talk about zero tolerance.

If the entire world had that attitude, these variants might likely die a quick death. Halfway measures tend not to work very well with most viruses/diseases.

The variants are the real worry, and while the virus rages through the parts of the world that won't be vaccinated for years, new and dangerous ones are almost guaranteed. Some of the top folks over here think there's a high risk of a new variant that effectively bypasses the vaccine, before this is done.

Remember, this is a no politics thread.

Yeah, like the so-called Spanish flu happened in three or four serious waves, if I remember right. Sadly, I think we've still a ways to go before this current bug is fully squashed, let alone any persistent variants.

Yeah, like the so-called Spanish flu happened in three or four serious waves, if I remember right. Sadly, I think we've still a ways to go before this current bug is fully squashed, let alone any persistent variants.
Back then though people lined up for the cure it was a massive success. Not like now.

Back on topic the Delta wave should be evening out as experts predict so things will eventually calm down again. The next strain is on the horizon and the cycle repeats.

I heard it was literally a single case. You Kiwis aren't messing around when you talk about zero tolerance.
The number just went up to 7, but yeah, we're a sensible lot ;-)
They work on the principal that if they just became symptomatic, then they were contagious for a certain amount of previous days. During this time the individual went away for the weekend and attended crowded areas, so there's bound to be other cases that haven't been discovered yet.
One of the places they spent time at was a pub that half the local town would have visited to watch a televised rugby game.
By immediate lockdown, hopefully they've avoided it multiplying out to the hundred or thousands.

Some half funny, half annoying news from Sweden: About 15 miles from where I live a local "alternative" conference center arranged a tantra festival for 500 people. A week later and more than 100 of them tested positive for Covid. Who would've thought 500 vaccine sceptic people being intimate with each other could spread infections... :D

The locals are absolutely furious at these people, especially since it lead to Norway closing their borders to us again. And a lot of people on the border depend on trade with Norway for their living.

Well at least about 80% of us have got the first and 60% both shots, so it hopefully won't do much harm other than economic.

My family is having a reunion next month here in Florida, our first in sixteen years, so everyone is pretty hyped about it. Turns out we've a small contingent that haven't received shots as of yet, so I'm pretty keen on seeing how all that plays out. I know I'll have several masks in rotation!

At this point in UK everyone who wanted to has taken their two shots, and wearing masks is lifted as an obligation, I guess mostly because it only protects the anti-vaxxers who refused to take their shots pretty much.

I'm looking forward to going out normally and sitting at a restaurant without being paranoid, but the feeling that it's not fully safe is still there, nagging me somehow. Hopefully, in a few months, it will be all a memory of a bad couple of years that if anything, helped reduce pollution and increase social awareness for personal hygiene. Oh, and the fact that working from home is okay!

I say that from the "lucky" position of having lost nobody to Covid. Hopefully everyone here has managed to keep safe and well for the most part.

The UK has never really taken masks very seriously compared to other countries. It was only required indoors. Few people wore them outside.

Also the masks still help people as you can still transfer the disease onwards to other people who couldn't get vaccinated. Your entire premise of everyone wanting the vaccine having it is completely wrong. Many people are not allowed to take the vaccine for a multitude of reasons including allergies. So not wearing masks doesn't hurt anti vaxxers only but also vulnerable people not allowed to take the vaccine due to other reasons.

The UK has never really taken masks very seriously compared to other countries. It was only required indoors. Few people wore them outside.

Also the masks still help people as you can still transfer the disease onwards to other people who couldn't get vaccinated. Your entire premise of everyone wanting the vaccine having it is completely wrong. Many people are not allowed to take the vaccine for a multitude of reasons including allergies. So not wearing masks doesn't hurt anti vaxxers only but also vulnerable people not allowed to take the vaccine due to other reasons.

This is true, on both accounts.

In Brighton, walking through the beach in summer, felt like Covid never was a thing.

The people who couldn't take a vaccine due to allergies, I do feel for them, and I wouldn't want to be in their situation. Hopefully, they are taking all the extra care to make sure they are safe, I know I did for the longest time while not having my two shots, and being kinda young, it was a long time till I actually could take the second one.

Must be pretty intimidating to know that as long as Covid is still around, you will never be able to go out safely. Not great shoes to wear.

Just a friendly remember once again no politics in this thread.:)

Most restrictions have been lifted in Sweden now. Doesn't make a ton of difference to me since at my work we still have to wear visors (or whatever it's called in English) when meeting patients. Even if everyone is vaccinated.

Back
Top Bottom