Skyrim 90% Consoles? Looking at Preorders

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Like many others here, I'd much rather play on PC. Just yesterday I bought a new HDTV to better display Skyrim on in all its glory. Got myself a Samsung 46" LCD...

My previous HDTV was a 40" Proscan, and seriously it was worth the $800 upgrade. Everything is so much more vibrant and the clarity is worlds beyond what I had! The 14th-15th can't come soon enough. {yeah I know its released on the 11th, but I got it cheap from Newegg w/ free shipping so I gotta wait a few extra days..../cry}

Just a personal preference, but I don't like anything larger than a 24" screen when gaming.

The larger the screen, the more pixelated the graphics become, and the more obvious any flaws in the textures, etc.

I already run everything at 1920x1200 on my monitor, and I'd need to increase that resolution if I was going to be using a larger screen, which in turn means I'd need an even faster system.

I'd need a supercomputer to play on some of the screens you guys are talking about and still maintain the same level of visual fidelity.

Just a personal preference, but I don't like anything larger than a 24" screen when gaming.

The larger the screen, the more pixelated the graphics become, and the more obvious any flaws in the textures, etc.

That is honestly only true when playing on 51" and larger. As long as you stay under 47" its still just as clear and precise as playing on a smaller monitor.

As long as you stay under 47" its still just as clear and precise as playing on a smaller monitor.

I don't think so. When you spread any given resolution out over 40+" compared to 24", you're going to lose some fidelity. The larger the screen, the more fidelity you're going to lose.

I don't think so. When you spread any given resolution out over 40+" compared to 24", you're going to lose some fidelity. The larger the screen, the more fidelity you're going to lose.

You have to factor in the distance from the screen though. About 9 to 10 ft would be recommended for a 40-42" screen and 1080p looks pretty crystal clear at that distance…

Err make that about 5-6 feet really
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

I have mine to 6.5 but I rather game on my desk in front of a 22" monitor anyway…

Last edited:
You have to factor in the distance from the screen though. About 9 to 10 ft would be recommended for a 40-42" screen and 1080p looks pretty crystal clear at that distance…

I have mine to 6.5 but I rather game on my desk in front of a 22" monitor anyway…

I sit between 4-5ft away from a new 46" LCD,{primarily as my PC monitor} and its crystal clear perfect to me. My eyes are 20/15, and I couldn't discern one pixel from another if I wanted too!

b) US retailers only (no Europe pre-orders, they usually get the number for Europe much later)

I'm interested in that. I'd really like to see the German figures on that.
Just out of curiosity.

I sit between 4-5ft away from a new 46" LCD,{primarily as my PC monitor} and its crystal clear perfect to me. My eyes are 20/15, and I couldn't discern one pixel from another if I wanted too!

I'm 20/20 and have no issues with playing games on my 65" from about 8-9' away.

Two things of note, I have both PC and PS3 hooked to the set, and while PS3/XBOX games are in theory capable of 720/1080 most of them fall short of that. Secondly, the ability of the PC to do things like FSAA, DoF, and other graphics tricks makes the experience not only faster but much more visually appealing. There is just no comparison.

I still enjoy the console for what it is. But a decent PC connected to a big screen is where it's at for couch gaming. C'mon 4K screens!

DVD? what is that? Some sort of optical disc? Sounds archaic.

Heh. Yeah. With PC, you sit down, click mouse on icon, and start playing. Plus you can choose mouse + keyboard, or controller, or gamepad.

..and like the PC gamers say, our games look a lot better! (and faster, and more space for saves, and…)

Exactly, JonNik is right about this.

The image is projected at about 8 ft x 14 ft on my wall and I'm sitting on my sofa which is about 15-20 ft from the image.

I have purchased and watched quite a few blu-rays which I have also seen in the cinema and at least 3 or 4 of them looked much better in my living room.

Back
Top Bottom