Frayed Knights - It's Not What You Do

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Jay Barnson has penned a new blog entry on Frayed Knights, titled It's Not What You Do, But How You Do It. The piece starts with some self reflection after reading one of the recent articles on choices-and-consequences in Alpha Protocol; here's the intro:
One of the dangers I face on this blog, where I occasionally criticize aspects of games that I feel were done poorly, is that I leave myself open to the same criticisms of my own work. And deservedly so. The pure critic has it easy – they can rip on other people’s stuff with relative impunity without ever having to produce anything in return other than the occasionally clever prose. But I not only realize that I have the potential to be savaged by the very standards I apply to others, I also recognize to my chagrin where my own deficiencies are occurring, and I doggedly continue down the same path of weakness and failure.

I’m finding myself making the same mistakes others have made (and I have criticized), and allowing myself to live with certain weaknesses and limitations of the engine and game system that I’m not particularly happy with. But the thing is – if we had to get it perfect, we’d never release a game. By “we” I mean pretty much everybody, indies and mainstream developers. But in the way of the alternative lay madness. And Duke Nukem Forever. The tough part is knowing where to draw the line – what battles to fight, and on which ones to yield the field.
More information.

That's the type of choice/consequences I like, not the 'turn the other cheek for light points or kick the dude in the nuts for dark points', but the 'fight the goblins at the entrance (and waste resources like mana, potions, whatever) and then fight the bad dude, or go straight for the bad dude (but then risk the reinforcements)'. Choices and consequences that affect *gameplay* as opposed to just there to show me different cutscenes and endings.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom