Wasteland 2 - Delay All About Making Choice Matter

If all the money goes into the game I wonder what the developers live on.

This always puzzles me. People do realize the majority of any game's budget is developer's wages, right? So when people say "it all goes into the game's budget", that includes developer's wages. There's no way to put money directly into a game, without first going through the actual people working on it, y'know.

Well, the developer in question is Fargo, right? I assume he's a millionaire and doesn't need a regular salary to survive. Didn't he commit $100K himself to Wasteland 2? That's no small amount to have lying around in cash.

Wasteland 2 asked for 900k and then he would through in 100k to make it a cool million. Or what I like to call walking around money :)

Well, the developer in question is Fargo, right? I assume he's a millionaire and doesn't need a regular salary to survive. Didn't he commit $100K himself to Wasteland 2? That's no small amount to have lying around in cash.
Brian doesn't get any of the WL2 crowdfunding money, no, he said as much during the WL2 Kickstarter. All the other devs do need to get paid, though. And that's the majority of your budget, I'm just confused at (and this is very common on the internet) people who seem to believe you can put money right into a game, apparently not understanding that the majority of most game budgets go to developers and that's what we mean when we say put funds in the game.

This always puzzles me. People do realize the majority of any game's budget is developer's wages, right? So when people say "it all goes into the game's budget", that includes developer's wages. There's no way to put money directly into a game, without first going through the actual people working on it, y'know.

You're right, I obviously didn't think that through.

Don't have to be a cock about it though.

It's also a good sign that he's willing to put his money where his mouth is. Same with Mark Jacobs on Camelot Unchained. In future I don't reckon I'll be pledging for green field games on Kickstarter where the producers are making no commitment themselves.

BH, can we get some more (let's say exclusive) detail about how BS detector will work?

Good game design rewards people for being clever, skilled, inventive or otherwise making an effort.

Bad game design rewards people for being "good", "neutral" or "evil".

Then OP quote is totally wrong because not killing x or y makes the gameplay more soft like a reward, ie good: reward, bad: penalty.

OP quote isn't about reward at all but about having weird action choices and relatively logical consequences of those actions. It's in topic of the realism in gameplay, plus about the weirdos kiddish RPG fans wish to be able kill anything.

I definitely think that behind OP quote there's some moral thought, ok you'll be able kill anything but you'll have to face the consequences.

I bet that if you prepare well your murder, no witness, hiding the crime, and so on, you'll get the bad consequences anyway, because it's a morale mechanism, no brain stuff.

I feel it's right to manage such stuff with some morale approach, but I feel it's a lot of time lost for very few. But I know my point of view on this isn't majority.

The developers are the game. He just means that the executives won't be ordering their Ferraris until after the game releases.

I'm all about not forgetting the importance of the little hands doing the hard work. But thinking that leading and directing isn't very important into leading a project to quality, is very naive.

I think more that he really wants achieve something special and do know he will get 1000 time the reward after if he succeed, and that it's com choice to not get any money from this project.

Back
Top Bottom