Gender Roles & Ethical Responsibility @ GamesCritics

Also, the US is still the primary source of games - and we all know their attitude towards sex. It's not like we can expect them to have a relaxed disposition, much less a mature one.

I've always wonder, what is up with that? Why does the usual US citizen find sex so disgusting or something to be hidden? Tthe US is a lage assortment of different cultures. So it would stand to reason that the "sex is bad" christian motto would be more relaxed. I just don't understand this whole hystaria when sex is concerned.

Even we're more prudish in our congress. Take the "lie" incident during the presidents speech. In England that would be just about the norm, wouldn't it? In Taiwan if the guy wasn't kicking him or biting him then it would be no problem, but over in America everyone freaked out like the guy just spat in the president's face.

This is a bit off topic, but not really when considering that the US's stance on this has a direct impact on the type of games that get released.

I've always wonder what is up with that? Why does the usual US citizen find sex so disgusting or something to be hidden? Tthe US is a lage assortment of different cultures. So it would stand to reason that the "sex is bad" christian motto would be more relaxed. I just don't understand this whole hystaria when sex is concerned.

Even we're more prudish in our congress. Take the "lie" incident during the presidents speech. In England that would be just about the norm, wouldn't it? But over here, everyone freaked out like the guy just spat in the presidents face.

This is a bit off topic, but not really when considering that this has a direct impact on the type of games that get released.

I can only guess, but I suppose it has to do with not wanting to offend anyone so you can maximise profit or your political powerbase - rather than the majority actually having a big problem with sexual content.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that the US is actually a gigantic mix of cultures and the way each state has its own view on these things.

Most european countries have cultures that aren't quite so "mixy" - so maybe we've had less problems getting people to adapt to the modern understanding of sexuality, and have had less barriers due to whatever religions can have a problem with.

It's most likely a complex and nuanced issue - but it's certainly interesting.

I can only guess, but I suppose it has to do with not wanting to offend anyone so you can maximise profit or your political powerbase - rather than the majority actually having a big problem with sexual content.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that the US is actually a gigantic mix of cultures and the way each state has its own view on these things.

Most european countries have cultures that aren't quite so "mixy" - so maybe we've had less problems getting people to adapt to the modern understanding of sexuality, and have had less barriers due to whatever religions can have a problem with.

It's most likely a complex and nuanced issue - but it's certainly interesting.

Thanks DA.

Although the average citizen is just as uptight as the politicians playing the politics of it. I had a friend down the street who wasn't allowed to go in my garage because my dad had put up posters of the latest sex symbols in bikinis all around the garage (It was the 80's for god sakes;))

You're definitely right, it is a very interesting issue. A little hypocritical, but still interesting.

Sexual cut scenes most of the times are not sexy but boring , i can not imagine anything more boring than watching computer characters kissing and fondling.
Devs should either put some action bdsm into games or leave their interpretation of sex completely out .

Man, this is fantastic , too bad i don't play console games :)

Thanks DA.

Although the average citizen is just as uptight as the politicians playing the politics of it. I had a friend down the street who wasn't allowed to go in my garage because my dad had put up posters of the latest sex symbols in bikinis all around the garage (It was the 80's for god sakes;))

You're definitely right, it is a very interesting issue. A little hypocritical, but still interesting.

Does that represent the average view?

I mean, sexuality can be a sensitive issue, but I didn't think it was that big a deal in the eyes of the average american adult.

I suspect it has to do with the interpretation of some religion, probably Christianity in some form.

Then again, if you watch Antichrist by our own sweet Lars von Trier - who's a catholic - it's not exclusive to the US, I mean having serious issues with this kind of thing. LvT is supposed to be both intellectual and artistically enlightened - so who knows.

He apparently feels that nature in itself is evil, and that it's inside ourselves (particularly related to sexual desires), as well as outside. That's what I got out of it, anyway.

Personally, I don't even believe in the concept of evil - and certainly not in terms of sexual pleasure - but whatever :)

I assume he is, but it's fairly common that male stereotypes are perfectly fine, while female stereotypes are considered sexist.

Back
Top Bottom