Might & Magic VII - MM7Rev4Mod v2 Released

Dhruin

SasqWatch
We don't get too many Might & Magic newsbits beyond Dark Messiah so it was a nice surprise when Nathan wrote in to point out BigDaddyJim's creatively named MM7Rev4Mod. Nathan spotted it at Celestial Heavens and their Round Table forum provides some details and links:
The MM7Rev4modR1 provides a modified game sequence for the original Might and Magic VII gaming world.

About 30% of the game ‘events’ code has been altered and about 50% of the game map areas have been modified in some way or another.
The mod is completely changed with new quests. You can also come back to Emerald Island which is also a new feature.

A few graphic ‘enhancements’ have been contributed by the ‘modder’
Pascal by way of custom weapons and armor.
More information.

Aww... Might and Magic... good memories. I loved those kind of RPGs, and its a pity they dont make something like M&M or the old Wizardry games anymore. I miss them.

I played only the first with nintendo emulator and sixth but after much research (whether to play through the entire series) I came to the conclusion they were kind of crappy - not worth wasting time on. I doubt any mod can fix it.

Aww... Might and Magic... good memories. I loved those kind of RPGs, and its a pity they dont make something like M&M or the old Wizardry games anymore. I miss them.

I completely agree...too bad they don't make them like this anymore. In fact I still have MM6 and MM7 installed on one of my machines. Been meaning to try this mod out when he first released it earlier this year. I loved the freedom to go almost anywhere right from the start. All those little secrets like having the ability to meet up with some dragon's within the first couple of minutes of playing the game...if you knew the secret and finding the obelisk treasures. I truly wish they would make games like this.

I posted a little about this in the General RPG forums after I noticed it over at Celestial Heavens, hoping someone had played these. Glad to see Drhuin thought it was front page newsworthy. :)

Might & Magic 7 has always been near the top of my RPG Top Ten list, and I'm very curious about these mods. My only problem is that I'm playing exclusively on XP and wonder how these will effect my installation, also if anyone has actual playing experience, I'd love to hear about it.

Edit: Finally had the time to read the ten-page thread linked above at the Round Table--mod is said to be compatible with mok's patch( which is what gets you running on XP) so that's good, and another patch is said to be due out soon.
Big Daddy Jim deserves a round of applause for what sounds like an astonishing amount of coding to get this running.

Last edited:
M&M 3 and World of Xeen are 2 (technically 3 though) of my most favorite games ever but I tried the newer games and couldn't get into them.

@magerette-I'm game. I'll install MM7 tonight and try to install the mod too. I'll post back here and let you know how it goes.

Which 2 npcs do you generally keep with you during the game? I think I generally pick the luck boosting npcs. It's been a few years since I tackled VI and VII.

I always take a Merchant and a Factor or the upgrade--that increases your gold by 10%. Obviously for me, it's all about the greed.:greedy:

Anyone have a link to 'mok's patch' for M&M7? I don't remember it!!

You can get it ( and the ones for MM6 & 8) at TELPs, Corwin. There's also some info here But all this is for XP--aren't you running Vista?

My PC is XP 64, my Laptop is Vista!! Thanks for the link, I can't remember if I ever downloaded those patches.

What does mok's patch do? I'm not familiar with it. I did install the thing from Celestial Heavens so if that is the Mok patch, then I already have it.

@magerette-I installed the BDJ mod last night and on the first island it acted as a monty-haul mod. You'll find a +13 sword and a 1700 gold piece pile of gold just
laying around unguarded. There are a few npcs that will pop up every time you pass a certain area and you have to exit out of the conversation before you can move. A few new quests are mentioned, but it was very amateurishly done, imho.
I give the guy kudos for figuring out how to work around the engine, but he needed to find a writer and a level designer to help him out. I'll probably give it another evening or two before going back to vanilla MM7. He replaced most of the dragonflies with goblins for some reason. I preferred the dragonflies because they don't all have ranged weapons, the goblies do.

The mod doesn't interfere with the executable so it should be compatible with most setups.

Thanks, crpgnut. I appreciate you taking the plunge. I'm nervous when it comes to shifting and replacing game files. :) AFA Mok's patch, it fixes a few minor bugs but IIRC is mostly to help you run the game(s) on XP--sometimes you don't need it.

In fairness to the guy, the above thread mentions that the items( like longbows of carnage I think) that seem overpowered are supposed to scale out when pretty rapidly you start meeting up with dragons and so forth--if that isn't the case, then I agree with you--the Disciples II Elves Gold release was like that--the new campaign and scenarios were done by one or two fans and were very munchkin-y.

Did you notice or use any of the new character types in the party creation screen? I thought that might be the hardest to work in, what with all the advancement and specific promotional quests.

I didn't mess with them. I just wanted to jump in the game and see what was different on the first island. I just felt that the mod wasn't going to be for me based on the early look. I may give it another go over the holiday weekend. Reading through the various comments about the mod, I've mostly given up on it. It sounds like his main focus was adding hoards of combat to the maps. I really thought the vanilla game had enough combat already, I wasn't looking for more. He also admits that he focused on melee characters. I prefer spell slingers :D

I prefer spell slingers

Me, too. And I think between you and the original thread I now have a good impression of the mods, so don't slog on on my account--I wouldn't want you to have a 'timeout or burnout' experience. Go play some Arcomage or something. :p

Final version

Celestial Heavens is proud to host the MM7Rev4mod by Big Daddy Jim. This mod has reprogrammed the original Might and Magic VII game to include;

(1) an altered game sequence,
(2) ten new quests,
(3) seven ‘heavily modified’ original quests,
(4) seventeen unique NPCs,
(5) modified overland and ‘dungeon’ areas,
(6) an optional ‘post game’ encounter with a unique set of opponents,
(7) a plethora of minor game ‘tweaks’ and changes.

To play this game, you must have the original Might and Magic VII game installed with the official Patch 1 and MOK's Patch. See the ‘ReadMe’ file for installation instructions.

http://www.celestialheavens.com/mm7/MM7Rev4modF.zip

Back
Top Bottom