What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Hvidstengruppen

Danish film about a small resistance group who helped receive airdrops with weapons/explosives in Jutland - during the WW2 occupation.

Excellent movie all-round, and very authentic.

Great acting, great writing, and wonderfully low-key approach to the wonderfully low-key "jyder" (they're kinda like Dixie people) in Denmark.

Heartless

An English horror film from ca. 2009. The young actor in the title role is excellent (he has made quite a career since then), the rest of the cast solid. Photography very good. the atmosphere is there from the first second.
The film starts as a social drama with some horror elements, set in a poor London area. A few people get brutally killed by hooded guys wearing demon masks. The protagonist (a social outsider due to a huge burn mark over his left eye area) finds out that the demons aren't wearing masks. They're real.
Then after 30 minutes it becomes pure horror. After his mother got killed he enters a pact with the devil ...
Heartless is a refreshing film. Well crafted, innovative and without too many Hollywood textbook elements or tacked on humor. Definitely worth watching.

B

Hunger Games Movie - if you have read the books, you know what to expect.

The movie was 2.5 hours long, and the things they had to cut made you realize how densely packed with content the book was! One cut was early and made me nervous, but no worries - it was excellent.

A big part was the cast - Jennifer Lawrence is able to carry this movie. If you saw Winter's Bone you understand what I mean. Josh Hutcherson has come a long way from Zathura and Bridge to Terabithia. And the rest of the cast was excellent.

Hype ... lived up to!

Hunger Games Movie - if you have read the books, you know what to expect.

The movie was 2.5 hours long, and the things they had to cut made you realize how densely packed with content the book was! One cut was early and made me nervous, but no worries - it was excellent.

A big part was the cast - Jennifer Lawrence is able to carry this movie. If you saw Winter's Bone you understand what I mean. Josh Hutcherson has come a long way from Zathura and Bridge to Terabithia. And the rest of the cast was excellent.

Hype … lived up to!

Saw it last weekend and liked it way more than I expected. I intend to read the books now as the film was not able to go into much detail about the setting. It might have been a touch long but overall a great one.

Just returned from Iron Sky. I'm still grinning.

Pope Joan

If you like historical movies, this one is a must-see.

I saw Wrath of the Titans last night and actually quite enjoyed it. The precursor, Clash of the Titans (the 2010 remake version), didn't overly impress me but I seemed to enjoy this one more. Maybe my expectations were low and that helped. Mythology buffs will probably find holes in the lore presented, but that doesn't bother me so much. Some of the visuals were truly epic and looked great on the big screen. Also there was some very interesting "dungeon-like" environments which gave me some good ideas for games. Overall I enjoyed the visual design of things in the movie (costumes, creatures, items, etc).

They played the Prometheus trailer prior to the movie - that was a huge treat in itself! I'm totally stoked to see that.

Shame

Very powerful film. If it can make so much "hot sex" appear completely unsexy, it must be doing something right with the message.

Fantastic acting, it must be said. But there's something about Fassbender that makes him unable to make a true transformation. The role is incredibly brave - there's no doubt about that. But I find him locked in a certain stoic style that he can't seem to escape in any of the roles I've seen him in (including the recent Freud film and Inglorious Basterds).

Carey Mulligan, however, is a perfect fit for her role - and I think she's absolutely fantastic here.

Highly recommend it.

Religulous Youtube Link to the entire film

Bill Maher just skewers organized religion, just by interviewing the religious, it's a pretty funnyand eye opening documentary.
I wouldnt consider myself an atheist, I dont know if there's God, but I have a hard time thinking that any one group of people anywhere has the answer. Especially when you really start looking at the people who say they do, like this film does.

I'm currently watching a TV documentary on Singapore - and especially on the education there (Universities etc.).

Pope Joan

If you like historical movies, this one is a must-see.

does it make it clear that this is just a legend? Pope Joan a great story with all sorts of lurid details - to this day popes still don't travel down that road in Rome

Bill Maher just skewers organized religion, just by interviewing the religious, it's a pretty funnyand eye opening documentary.
I wouldnt consider myself an atheist, I dont know if there's God, but I have a hard time thinking that any one group of people anywhere has the answer. Especially when you really start looking at the people who say they do, like this film does.

I'm pretty sure his purpose in doing this was an answer to Ben Stein's Expelled: No intelligence Allowed.

I haven't watched either film

Saw it last weekend and liked it way more than I expected. I intend to read the books now as the film was not able to go into much detail about the setting. It might have been a touch long but overall a great one.

Hunger Games was great. As far as derivative ideas I think its up there more with Shakespeare than Star Wars or Wheel of Time - (Theseus and the Minotaur, Survivor - inspiration which Susan Collins names herself) but its good fun if you like watching neurotic teens trying to kill and each other.

Maher is great :biggrin:

Bill Maher on the Superiority of Western Values

"Don't get so tolerant that you tolerate intolerance" - too true!

I just watched all Chuck seasons in the last 14 days.

IMHO one of the best TV-shows ever.

I hope that we will see a full movie in the not so far future - maybe a crowd funded one.

I agree, I've been watching the series since it began. However, I doubt a movie will ever be made!!

I really liked the first 2 seasons of Chuck, then it got really old.

Been watching Avatar the last airbender cartoon, great characters and it often makes me laugh. Brings out the inner child in me i guess ;)

At the moment, I'm watching "Comic Con Episode IV: A Fan's Hope". Morgan Spurlock really knows how to make a film.

Last movie I saw was "Everything Must Go" starring Will Ferrell. It's a pretty serious role for him and he delivers a great performance. The movie is not the best I've ever seen but it's quite charming and touching. Worth watching.

Avengers. It was quite good, but like often in super hero movies, some of the action scenes gets really drawn out towards the end.. 7.5/10.

Loved it. I found the beginning to be a bit slow, but overall a great superhero film. Make sure you stay not only for the small clip into the credits, but also the very end of them: 'Nuff said

Back
Top Bottom