Elder Scrolls Online - Editorial @ Pixelgate

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Pixelgate has posted a new article about the console version of The Elder Scrolls Online, and writes we shouldn't want one anyway.

The Elder Scrolls Online has been one of the oddest MMO’s to release in quite some time. From announcement to release, the development window was rather short, even more so given the apparent scope of the game. Given the promise of both a PC and PS4/Xbox One release, the short development cycle comes off as rather suspect. After a PC release, and a console delay, Elder Scrolls Online turned out to be a bit off a mess, a MMO failing on core mechanics. Elder Scrolls Online is limping along, failing to live up to the hype, or even stand side by side competition, is a console version even a viable option any more?
More information.

Last edited:
I'd like to know about his sources.

This smells like obvious bias which is the worst kind of journalism around.

AFAIK, nothing official has been released about the financial state of the game, and given the megaserver technology, it's impossible to get an accurate picture of active population.

I'm sure it's less popular than Zenimax hoped it would be, but there's quite an untapped market on consoles.

I think it's way too early to write this off, and it's still one of the best MMOs on the market if you ask me.

It also happens to be one of the few MMOs that aren't trying to emulate WoW, which is very refreshing.

AFAIK, nothing official has been released about the financial state of the game, and given the megaserver technology, it's impossible to get an accurate picture of active population.

I'm sure it's less popular than Zenimax hoped it would be, but there's quite an untapped market on consoles.

I think it's way too early to write this off, and it's still one of the best MMOs on the market if you ask me.

It also happens to be one of the few MMOs that aren't trying to emulate WoW, which is very refreshing.

I think its a crap MMO yet I just bought the CE edition lol

What can I say? You are lost forever! =)

Hey bud, i've never claimed (or aimed) to be a journalist so just keep that in mind ^^

I played EOS for two and a half months, heck even bought the Imperial Edition, so it's not any case of biased.

The post is a opinion piece, hence why i never refer to anything as fact. Hope this clears things up

I wouldn't worry too much Sean. DArt was always protective towards ESO and he took it personally that it isn't as successful as he thinks it should be.

Hey bud, i've never claimed (or aimed) to be a journalist so just keep that in mind ^^

I played EOS for two and a half months, heck even bought the Imperial Edition, so it's not any case of biased.

The post is a opinion piece, hence why i never refer to anything as fact. Hope this clears things up

So, your little editorial claiming that the game is limping along without any kind of source for this information is your unbiased "opinion piece"?

Ok, I guess we know something about the solidity of your opinions.

Cleared that right up, thanks bud :)

Don't call me 'bud' after being a condescending cock thanks.

Don't get mad at me for pointing out how hollow the game is as a MMO and the issues it suffers from.

I guess I'll ask you and your fringe before i dare say anything else about the game?

Don't call me 'bud' after being a condescending cock thanks.

Don't get mad at me for pointing out how hollow the game is as a MMO and the issues it suffers from.

I guess I'll ask you and your fringe before i dare say anything else about the game?

You could try that next time, and thanks again for demonstrating how unbiased you really are ;)

That, or you could provide some support for your claims. That might actually work!

So much venom spewed in ESO's way, sometimes it makes me question my sanity for liking & seeing so much potential in the game. Is it people that expected Skyrim with multiplayer, people that wanted something closer to WoW, or cynicism addicts that jump to hate on something by habit? It's kinda sad because there are many that are swayed by these guys that occasionally like to throw temper tantrums whenever they see something that's not going their way, and the idea that "Eso sucks" just keeps getting reinforced.

Anyway, I value your opinion DArtagnan and I am glad to see that you like the game. I'm really looking forward to all the things they announced @Quakecon, here's hoping that the game will do well.

So much venom spewed in ESO's way, sometimes it makes me question my sanity for liking & seeing so much potential in the game. Is it people that expected Skyrim with multiplayer, people that wanted something closer to WoW, or cynicism addicts that jump to hate on something by habit? It's kinda sad because there are many that are swayed by these guys that occasionally like to throw temper tantrums whenever they see something that's not going their way, and the idea that "Eso sucks" just keeps getting reinforced.

Anyway, I value your opinion DArtagnan and I am glad to see that you like the game. I'm really looking forward to all the things they announced @Quakecon, here's hoping that the game will do well.

Refreshing to hear something positive about it around here :)

Yeah, I've wondered along similar lines myself. Sure, the game has issues - but even so, I found it to be the most interesting MMO to come out in years.

As soon as they migrate the servers to EU, I'll be right there playing again. I love what I'm hearing about the Justice system and player bounties. Such things can become an issue if not controlled properly, but there's potential for a lot of fun there, too.

I don't really know why the game is so universally despised - I truly don't. Much of it probably has to do with the crappy way they handled it in terms of pricing and the pre-order scheme - which I've been vocally against. Also, I think a lot of people "grew up" in terms of the MMO genre with WoW, meaning they're not really ready to accept that it can be done very differently without being wrong.

Then we have a lot of people who're simply fans of Skyrim and expected the same from an MMO. I can understand and sympathise with that, though I actually think ESO offers more in that way than any other MMO out there. But it's still trapped in the MMO framework, which is obviously a negative if you're looking for a solo experience exclusively - and you think the game can cater to you as the only hero in the world.

Beyond being fantastic to look at and having one of the most, if not THE most efficient engines out there - I was surprised at the quality of the writing, and the numerous C&C I witnessed even in trivial quests.

I kept being positively surprised as I played it. I was just pissed at how they ignored the EU server issue as if it meant nothing at all - and how they didn't address it for a long time.

But it seems they might have learned their lesson and they've been humbled a bit. Again, their plan for the future is among the most impressive and bold I've seen with the MMO genre. Now, they just have to prove they can do it :)

I suspect that it will end up being one of the more popular and well-liked games in a few years. It just takes the ignorant masses to calm down and actually try it out.

errr… you both skipped the fact that ZeniMax fucked up the grouping part of the game. I know that DArt likes to play it mostly as a solo experience but, for many people, grouping is still the very reason why they play MMO.
So, whatever the plans for the future, if ZeniMax will not fix this part of the game it will never truly take off.

errr… you both skipped the fact that ZeniMax fucked up the grouping part of the game. I know that DArt likes to play it mostly as a solo experience but, for many people, grouping is still the very reason why they play MMO.

You mean you just imagined we skipped it?

Once again, the game has issues - and the phasing technology is definitely part of that, but they've been working on it from the start.

It's been fully playable for a while - and the occasional phasing glitch can be fixed with a relog or similar.

Hardly enough to justify the level of bile this game is getting.

By the way, have you even played the game yet, or are you still so arrogant as to believe you know enough to blindly defend the mindless hatred?

Refreshing to hear something positive about it around here :)
Tell me about it. ;)

Yeah, I've wondered along similar lines myself. Sure, the game has issues - but even so, I found it to be the most interesting MMO to come out in years.

As soon as they migrate the servers to EU, I'll be right there playing again. I love what I'm hearing about the Justice system and player bounties. Such things can become an issue if not controlled properly, but there's potential for a lot of fun there, too.
It does have issues, and I consider the laggy gameplay one of the bigger ones. Thankfully, they are aware & working on fixing this, they even talked about it at quakecon. Megaserver finally coming to Europe will certainly help in that regard.

That's one of the things that WoW always did flawlessly, it had that fluid & responsive feel when it came down to using skills, moving etc. and in my opinion — this played a big role in its success. In general, however, I believe that one of the biggest reasons of its success was right timing of release.

I don't really know why the game is so universally despised - I truly don't. Much of it probably has to do with the crappy way they handled it in terms of pricing and the pre-order scheme - which I've been vocally against. Also, I think a lot of people "grew up" in terms of the MMO genre with WoW, meaning they're not really ready to accept that it can be done very differently without being wrong.
Most likely. I'm very glad that ESO is doing it differently, it's refreshing. Then there's Wildstar, I guess those that want to re-live WoW in a way can migrate there. By the way, nothing wrong with WoW, it was and probably is still a fantastic game for many, I often find myself re-subbing just to explore the world of the newest expansion, I'm just tired of the formula and how predictable the content cycles are.

Also, yes, it would have helped with the reception if their choices were different regarding the pre-order scheme. Then you also have buffoons like Angry Joe with no understanding of the mmorpg genre 'reviewing' the game. I'd say that he should turn to comedy if I found him even remotely funny.

Then we have a lot of people who're simply fans of Skyrim and expected the same from an MMO. I can understand and sympathise with that, though I actually think ESO offers more in that way than any other MMO out there. But it's still trapped in the MMO framework, which is obviously a negative if you're looking for a solo experience exclusively - and you think the game can cater to you as the only hero in the world.
Inevitable after the success that was Skyrim. It was a brilliant game. Sadly, another TeS game had to follow, only this time it was an mmorpg - and many people had all kinds of unrealistic expectations.

Beyond being fantastic to look at and having one of the most, if not THE most efficient engines out there - I was surprised at the quality of the writing, and the numerous C&C I witnessed even in trivial quests.
The game does look fantastic. I'd also like to say that I find the sounds & music to be top notch, the sound department really did an amazing job. Also, yes! I take my time to read and pay attention to everything in the world, be it NPC conversations or lore books/notes. I think they did a great job there as well. Many memorable quests and NPC's, never really expected this from an MMO.

But it seems they might have learned their lesson and they've been humbled a bit. Again, their plan for the future is among the most impressive and bold I've seen with the MMO genre. Now, they just have to prove they can do it :)
Yeah, I can definitely see a change in attitude. That's good. Indeed, amazing things ahead, they only need to deliver properly. Will it be the next best thing, or an unmitigated failure? Maybe neither. Guess time will tell.

I suspect that it will end up being one of the more popular and well-liked games in a few years. It just takes the ignorant masses to calm down and actually try it out.
I suspect the same. :)

That's one of the things that WoW always did flawlessly, it had that fluid & responsive feel when it came down to using skills, moving etc. and in my opinion — this played a big role in its success. In general, however, I believe that one of the biggest reasons of its success was right timing of release.

I agree completely. WoW had a certain level of polish and technical mastery that's very rare. Certainly, they had a ton of problems because of overpopulation, but that's something I doubt anyone could have avoided during that unexpected explosion in the MMO audience.

No one could have predicted that.

Most likely. I'm very glad that ESO is doing it differently, it's refreshing. Then there's Wildstar, I guess those that want to re-live WoW in a way can migrate there. By the way, nothing wrong with WoW, it was and probably is still a fantastic game for many, I often find myself re-subbing just to explore the world of the newest expansion, I'm just tired of the formula and how predictable the content cycles are.

Wildstar is ok, but I think its success is short-lived. People are just excited about having a "new WoW" - and as soon as they find out it's really not that different, and doesn't have the years of content and massive budget of WoW, they'll all but forget about it.

It's simply not enough, I suspect.

Also, I have to say I doubt 40-man raids can have a true comeback. People might think they want that kind of coordination hell again, but I doubt the majority will hold to it after the changes in the MMO scene we've seen the last 10 years.

Also, yes, it would have helped with the reception if their choices were different regarding the pre-order scheme. Then you also have buffoons like Angry Joe with no understanding of the mmorpg genre 'reviewing' the game. I'd say that he should turn to comedy if I found him even remotely funny.

Agreed again. I can't tell you how annoyed I am with people like Angry Joe - who has power completely out of sync with his insight.

It's pop-culture at its most destructive.

Just so that people don't think RPGWatch is full of ESO fan boys*…

- Its piss poor successor to the single player ES games but that's ok since its supposed to be an MMO.
- Its a MMO designed for people who don't like to play with other people but like to see other people running around in their game world…

* I know its only DArtagnan here but with his forums super powers other people might get the wrong impression :lol:

Back
Top Bottom