Obsidian Entertainment - MMORPG Skyforge

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
According to gamesindustry.biz Obsidian Entertainment will be working with the Allods Team to develop a PC MMORPG called Skyforge.

Obsidian's CEO Feargus Urquhart had this to say about the project.
“Skyforge is very interesting and promising project and I am glad that Obsidian Entertainment is involved in working on this game. I am confident that the cooperation with the Allods Team will be a great experience for all of us.”

More information.

Obsidian in MMO genre?
A blasphemy!

But well, if the money they get will be reinvested into singleplayer titles, I have nothing against it.

Obsidian in MMO genre?
A blasphemy!

But well, if the money they get will be reinvested into singleplayer titles, I have nothing against it.
When I found and read the story I thought the same thing. I wont be posting about the game. I just wanted to announce their next project for those that might be interested.

hmm… don't like what I saw, seems to me it suffers from "over-flashness". Looks like every attack is a super mega animation jumping with flashes and particles then stomping and shockwaves. Basically, when everything you do is super flashy, then it loses the effect. I'd rather if battles were normal swings and blocks and dodges, and leave the mega animations for really special attacks/spells/abilities.

Yep, looks too flashy and too much like the typical asia grinder where every character carries some kind of megaweapons around and all apponents look like they were just assembled out of a McDonalds Happy Meal.

Fits the asian and console market, but not the fanbase Obsidian is usually catering to.

Ugh, wonder how this will affect the team working on project eternity game.

Ugh, wonder how this will affect the team working on project eternity game.
If I recall they have three teams working on different projects right now. The team for project eternity has 15 people. This was mentioned on a different post about the other project for next generation consoles.

Oh for fecks sake...

I hope that at least their best cRPG minds stay off the project in order to be available for other things and that this will be just a contract to keep the company going.

At least it very likely is only a few people from Obsidian working on it since the other company already has a full team.

They are working with Russians to make a MMO? o_O

They are working with Russians to make a MMO? o_O
As someone mentioned before it pays the bills. It's also good training for future games that have multiplayer.

South Park must be pretty close to being finished, perhaps they're taking the staff from that one.

Don't Obsidian have a couple of things on the go already? I didn't realise they were big enough for more than one project. Or did, what was it, the isometric RPG, get cancelled?

They are over 112 people strong and always were a multiple project studio. Also, they are not the main developers on this game and are *just* helping out (don't know in what capacity). Apart from this they also have South Park, P:E and a next-generatin game in the works. Theyr team has enough talented to tackle things like this.

Pretty much, the more work the better, so they don't have to lay off people.

My guess is that mail.Ru contacted Obsidian for a western partner and they said yes. It only brings experience and a bit of money.

Fun fact also. Mask of the Betrayer's Lead Designer and Lead Writer both started out with MMO's.

Like they didn't killed the serie of evil islands with their mmorpg and no one noticed, now the plague spreads over the sea and distant lands. But then again they will probably learn something new and useful.

Yep, looks too flashy and too much like the typical asia grinder where every character carries some kind of megaweapons around and all apponents look like they were just assembled out of a McDonalds Happy Meal.

Fits the asian and console market, but not the fanbase Obsidian is usually catering to.

Yes, smoke and mirrors... When every player carries some mega weapon it only means that every boss has gazillion extra HP to provide a challenge. And your Happy Meal comment is spot on!

+1 for not taking positively to these news.

Back
Top Bottom