Two Worlds II - Interview @ TW Vault

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Two Worlds Vault caught up with Jake DiGennaro and Devon Smith from Topware US to talk about characters and quests in Two Worlds II:
TWVault: Recent interview with Devon in Destructoid touches briefly on some of the issues with quest lines, and general mood of the story. Do you plan on making the story a bit more like e.g. the Witcher or Mass Effect - in that it'll involve true moral choices, shying away from typical distinction between who's good and who's evil, providing a rudimentary motivation to even the seemingly most corrupt characters...

Devon: I have a saying that's probably ringing in our writer's ears by now: "No good, no evil -- just people". Everyone is motivated by something. Sometimes it's as simple as money -- but power is never simple. There's a reason people seek something out like that.

So, while you won't get a flashback to the childhood of every person you meet -- it's important that even our smallest roles hint that they have goals and even needs outside of the few minutes they spend with our hero.

As far as the ways the player's morality will affect our hero? It's not so much about collecting good or evil points so much as eliciting interesting reactions. We try to make sure our Hero's reactions reflect those that the player might have themselves. It's a subtle system that isn't designed to punish anyone -- but pose the question as to whether or not you are much different than the man you set out to destroy by the time you reach his doorstep.
More information.

Sounds great. Just what I like to hear.

The moral choices in ME was often extremely lame. There were usually nothing that could really have corrupted you, like gaining a lot of cash (/good equipment or whatever) for doing something really shady. "you'll get $5 if you kill the character over there, he annoys me!". :S

Such a waste of potential when they so easily instead could have made it interesting.

But yeah, i really like the sound of this; "but pose the question as to whether or not you are much different than the man you set out to destroy by the time you reach his doorstep. "

Last edited:
ill remember previews , interviews and facts from part 1.
they also sound really awsome back than.

but the game itself was very generic, inbalanced and kinda automatic generated- "made in mapeditor only".

hard to describe...

"we have 526 quests ,243 locations and 20 cool sounding features! lets put them in the mixer and press the *GENERATE AN RPG* button!"

that is what i call Two Worlds part 1.

turian, any game sounds awesome in previews and, espeically, in interviews ;)

I think TW1 had nice features, i understand that Bethesda borrowed their idea with the loot and how to make it more useful.. It's mainly a game for the explorer and loot fanatic (which i personally think is the most important aspects of a true RPG).

For fans of deep story, dialogue and interesting characters i doubt any of their games is of interest, it's not their focus at all. It's like Bethesda's games, immersive/survival RPG where the focus is creating a "living" world, very much unlike Bioware where the devs dont put any effort into that aspect.

Back
Top Bottom