Zloth

I smell a... wumpus!?
Overload is out! I've played it for a few hours and I've liked what I've seen so far.

It's VERY like Descent with a full 6 degrees of freedom and maps that really use it. The graphics are obviously far better than the original game and the 3D map is actually usable this time. It's possible to call in a guide bot but you'll get an achievement for not using it. Oh, and there's a little bit of a story in it, too!

The game is on Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/448850/Overload/
There's also a free demo: https://store.steampowered.com/app/448850/

That's really channelling Descent - the motion, the colours of the lasers lighting up the tunnels, even the rings on the explosions. Curious if it's any good.

I saw this a couple days ago; it really is unbelievable that no game since Descent has really captured its claustrophic, topsy-turvy gameplay. Nonetheless, as far as buying this title is concerned, Decent made me so incredibly nauseous the first time around that I'm leery of this revisit, :sick:

It also supports VR, @Drithius;! Come on, buckets are cheap and the game is a lot more fun than an exercise bike! ;)

It also supports VR, @Drithius;! Come on, buckets are cheap and the game is a lot more fun than an exercise bike! ;)

I'd challenge anyone to hold on to their lunch playing that sort of game in VR!

Downloading the demo now...

I wonder how this compares to Descent: Underground. That's another one I've been following.

Wow, a spiritual successor to Descent. Didn't even know this was in the making. I still remember being in awe of Descent back in the days, but that was mainly down to a combination of graphics and design, so Overload won't be having the same impact. Still, cool to see some of the original developers making such a game.

I'd challenge anyone to hold on to their lunch playing that sort of game in VR!
I think I could hold a bucket and a controller at the same time, would that count? ;)

Back
Top Bottom