Loki - Interview @ AceGamez

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The Loki site seems to have revamped since we last looked and is pointing out an interview with AceGamez. The conversation is undated but isn't in our database, so hopefully it is new. Here's a sample:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]ML: In terms of gameplay, how would you describe Loki overall? Does it basically stick to action RPG conventions with plenty of linear dungeon crawling and mouse-click hacking and slashing, or is there more to it than that, like environmental puzzles, non-linear level designs and/or elaborate quests to keep the pacing fresh? [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]Cyanide: An action RPG fan will easily find his feet and there are plenty of main and secondary quests to keep him busy. However, there are a few subtleties that give Loki its own identity. The highly developed system of weapon and armour personalisation, mentioned above, is something that sets Loki apart from many action RPG games. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]The same goes for the skill system. There is very little that is automatic about skills, so a player will have to be very much involved in how they are built up and used. Each of the heroes worships 3 gods and each god confers a given set of skills. Skills vary from hero to hero, so, for example, within the Aztec heroine's 3 skill trees there are spells allowing her change shape or to move into the spirit world, whereas the Egyptian can call on an arsenal of fire and lightning. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]It should also be noted that generation of levels, and their concomitant items and monsters, is random except for the final bosses. This means that the game can be played over and over again without ever following the same route. [/FONT]
More information.

My four favorite mythologies. :) Looks like one to watch --the genre can always use as they say in the game description, "...(a) liberal dosage of humour and haemoglobin."

I think I have finally, finally figured out what "RPG" means to the game industry. It is a synonym for "fantasy".

Substitute "fantasy" for "RPG" and all the "action-RPG" games, with their one-step quests, customizable stats and thousands of magic items, actually make sense. The one thing every action-RPG game released since... ever- has in common is that they're all fantasy, and none of them involve role-playing.

Thank you, FantasyWatch!

:p

Well yes, considering that we cannot role-play another 'actual' person in real life (unless we have schizophrenia tendencies or similar) then indeed in that concept, all role playing is fantasy....couldn't be anything else could it!......it would therefore be hard to disprove that Loki, although hack-and-slash at the visual front end....and because it only has to contain just one of the traditional rpg elements......then the developer is entitled to label it as an rpg from his 'own' concept.....knowing full well that the rpg tag will somehow boost the portrayal of the game into the greater gaming spotlight.

There are oozles of non-rpg games that have hi-jacked the true meaning of the word...of course all quality rpg'ers know this.

Ehm... is it just me or is the link to the interview really broken?

No - it is broken. I fixed the one on the front page, but the one in this thread is still messed up. Check it out here.

For some reason I have a good feeling about this title. I certainly like the setting and the art style. I admit that Diablo was the last hack'n slash I played but this game can be an exception. Let's see how it turns out.

No - it is broken. I fixed the one on the front page, but the one in this thread is still messed up. Check it out here.

Thx mate ;)

I have a good feeling about Loki too. The game looks very nice apart from the character animations maybe. The idea of the four mythologies is captivating as well. Many things are copied from Diablo which is a good thing ;)

Too bad there's not much info available on the release date (I read Q1 2007 somewhere)

Back
Top Bottom