The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

Enjoying the art rockish live performance of Django Django on KCRW from yesterday a second time. This band really improves with multiple listens to appreciate the complexity and changes. An 80s feeling on this with an English quirkiness, and sometimes a retro 60s sound on their newer songs.

https://www.kcrw.com/music/shows/morning-becomes-eclectic/django-django-2018-04-30

Nice description of their sound here: https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/django-django-marble-skies/

The mad scientists of UK psych-rock take an unexpected turn toward pop on their third album.

...ability to mash as many genres as possible into one dense, heady sound. At their best, they sound like wide-eyed kids toying gleefully with an impressive arsenal of influences, ranging from ’60s psych to ’70s space rock, ’80s pop and ’90s indie, often within the same track.

Just remembered I had this album: "Howlin Mercy" by the late John Campbell:

pibbur who in general worries a lot, although not about levees.

Got some catching up to do again. Haven't had a music browsing evening for a while.

The German band Rammstein is not all about brutal industry metal. They also have (surprisingly) melodic pieces, like this one, one of their very rare songs with lyrics partially in English.

I can't get it out of my head.

pibbur who thinks German works very well in metal music.

PS. A bit funny that most of the commentaries are in something else than German and English. DS.

PPS. Dies ist der Gesang von Rammstein dass mir meistens gefällt.

DS.

PPPS. Not entirely sure about the German. Norwegian is easier: "Dette er den Rammstein-sangen jeg liker best". DS

Last edited:
Imagine Dragons despite all the negative comments about this band I enjoy listening.

Alice in Chains, "The One You Know", coming off their next album which I believe might come out later this year. This song doesn't remind me of anything off the Dinosaurs album, but it most definitely sounds like the band....well, with Duvall doing the vocals, of course.

Siberian Shamaness doing tribal music. Can't believe the animal sounds she's producing with her voice. The song transforms into some sort of tribal trance halfway in. Amazing stuff.

Last edited:
Got my Amazon Prime music on and have been listening to a few randomized playlists of Jeff Beck. Boy, that boy could rock!

Fantastic set by Khruangbin

"Khruangbin is a three-piece band from Texas, formed of Laura Lee on bass, Mark Speer on guitar, and Donald Johnson on drums. Taking influence from 1960's Thai funk - their name literally translates to "Engine Fly" in Thai - Khruangbin is steeped in the bass heavy, psychedelic sound of their inspiration, Tarantino soundtracks and surf-rock cool."

A different yet equally enjoyable live set from Radiohead, the Scotch Mist sessions. One of the best versions of Weird Fishes I've ever heard, and having been to five of their concerts in the past, one that I've never heard used to start off a session.

George Enescu, Rumanian Rhapsody, nr 1

I sat this piece live last year. I did not know it. At the start, I thought, ‘Well, this is nice, quite lovely’. I looked around for a sec. Grey old people in the concert hall.

Then at 5.57 I straightened my back, ‘Oooh, interesting…, mmm’. Automatically, a foot and and a hand started to tap. My head nodded, just slightly, from left to right.
I held my body still. I mean, being surrounded by this motionless mass that seemed to have gotten a day off at the old people’s home you can’t show energy, they’d die of envy.

Then at 7.33 things changed. In me. The foot stopped, because it had to support my moving leg. Tension inside of me building up, waiting to get out. From 7.48 on my eyebrows began to squeeze together, gradually.

At 7.59 my lower jaw dropped. My respiratory rate accelerated. ‘What the f…’.
My heart skipped a beat. I felt een burning sensation in my body. I am sure my face expressed pain. But it did not feel like pain. ‘Gawd!’.
I was aroused. ‘My, to hell with my surroundings!’ I could not restrain my body any longer. I felt like riding a horse. Up, down, up, down, up, down I went in my chair. Faster, faster!
I had my harms in an angle, 45 degrees. Fists tight. Up down, up down. Riding the horse.

It got less tense, I let go of the grip in my fingers, and my chest started to sway. My shoulders having a different movement. It was as if I was running with the top of my body in my chair.

Then at 10.18. Again the sudden expression of pain. A skipped heartbeat. Burning sensation all over. My fists tightened again. Riding, riding. ‘Com’on, you violists, you can go faster, faster. Faster!’ Up down, up down, up down. ‘Aah, aah, ay’. Riding, riding towards a mental orgasm.

:)

Mariss Jansons, Berliner Symhoniker, 1994.

Back
Top Bottom