Gothic 3 Argh! Temple of Al-Shedim!

While this worked for me, it wasn't good for really killing these mages. They are quick enough to cast heal spell on themselve (same of orc shamans...). What is good with this is that once you figure out on what health level they will cast the healing spell, you can bring them close to this level (which is usually less than half total health) and then it is much easier to bring them down with you sword.
Also it may be due to my not high-enough bow skill.

Orc shamans might be killable with a high bow skill, but the undead high priests sure arent. I have a bow skill of about 600 and can kill neither these guys nor any of the named black mages in Ishtar. Summons will however distract them nicely. It seems like creatures summoned while you are in the tunnel leading to the very last chamber (with the final two priests) will manage to get in, even if they are bulky like demons or golems.

You could try Bloodlust since they don't chase you, though you would have to sneak down to them to possibly have time to cast it and obvioulsy only exposing yourself to one to cast, then if you run up a level they would fight each other, im just guessing here.

I dont have any save with the temple open, but I dont think it would work. I suspect these guys are immune to bloodlust just like orc shamen. Did some interesting experiments with bloodlust in Geldern and managed to get the guards to kill the leading shaman for "murdering" a bloodlusted guard.

Its a bit of a fuss to use the spell against orcs though, as the melee fighters dont fight to kill when bloodlusted, and one on one even a slave will kick the crap out of a shaman... And the bleeding shaman only starts "defending" after being hit.

The Temple of Al-Shedim was one of my favourite battles. I died like 20 times before I could figure it out. I basically lured each priest one by one out of the others range. That way I could deal with one of them at a time.

Then I shot 2 arrows at him from a distance. When he was healing, I switched to swords, and flurried him to death. He didnt stand a chance.

I think I used Ice Lance on them (actually everything in the desert died quickly with it) which froze them, one at a time of course and prevented them from healing.

Yeah, yeah, it's been months but thought this might work for some.

Ok, another solution. I had my own trouble. (died about thirty times). Could never lure the suckers out one at a time.

However one comes in range of a frostwave cast in safety (in the hallway--out of view). Lasts long enough to position yourself behind a wall between first and second room. Out of other 2 priests view. Need lots of luck, and of course mummy and skellies need to be lured out first. Of course they always bite.. hee hee. Then you can back the priest to the wall and hack him to bits.

For other 2, one of them usually comes in range of a safely cast frostwave (right next to entrance to second room, again out of view). Good thing is, this spell lasts much longer than ice lance, I had time to kill the unfrozen priest before frozen one came back to "life".

Ok, forgot this part, since you need 2 frostwaves and I only ever found one scroll, you need enough ancient knowledge and enough spell points. Most of the water mages teach spell.

Last edited:
sorry to dig up an old thread but +1 to all that has been said about this quest.. it's that tough! so much so that i'm wearing the robe that i found in the chest as a reward.. :)

Back
Top Bottom