Gothic - Remake Review

I'm laughing inside that anyone would consider an uncompleted prototype version ready for review. Anyway I agree with him about the Demo not being that bad.:)

Heh... you need a recipe to make a sandwich.

This actually looks OK. The wolves are super slow. And the human vs. human fight looks terrible. But they could polish it up. Not sure why they'd release an early demo of non-optimized gameplay for a 15 year old game.

It is not bad at all. With some not even so major tweaks i would directly start playing. But i know that some die hard fans have a contrary belief.

I've played about an hour so far and aside from the motion blur and over sensitive mouse movement it's got potential. Diego needs to talk faster and not sound so ponderous as if every word he says is pure gold. The controls are even less intuitive than the original, so that needs fixing as well. If it were a Kickstarter, I would probably back it!!

It is not bad at all. With some not even so major tweaks i would directly start playing. But i know that some die hard fans have a contrary belief.

It's not bad, but it's not very good either. I found the combat to be clunky and unintuitive, and I really dislike the dialogue system.

The AI is also a step back compared to Gothic. I noticed enemies stay within a predetermined area and won't chase you more than a very short distance before returning to that area.

Like I said in the other thread though, I think it has potential. If they can overhaul the aspects I mentioned, it would be a good start.

I was enjoying it until my game had bugged out and hadn't spawned some NPCs I was looking for., blocking the main quest I will have to restart and hope it doesn't happen again.

Couple nits to pick: Don't like the shininess either. Also, the detail on everything is overdone. A greater sense of scene depth would result if the detail and a bit of focus faded with distance. Get rid of the distracting white circle around foes during combat, it kills any immersion for me.

Even with the flaws in the demo, I'm looking forward to a finished product.

I'm laughing inside that anyone would consider an uncompleted prototype version ready for review.
Why can't you review a "uncompleted prototype"? I think you can "review" anything for what it is but comparing it to a finished product might be unfair :)

Anyway I agree with him about the Demo not being that bad.:)

I was mildly surprised about this remake and even more surprised to hear the demo isn't too bad! Lets hope they make half decent gothic game.

The epic action intro was terrible and the lens flare from the torch was something I never witnessed before. But from the moment you leave Diego for your first quest it became totally enjoyable.

Yes, they should have skipped the explosion and all that. That was clearly added as an afterthought (hence the main character's lighting of a torch while essentially standing in a sea of flames).

Why can't you review a "uncompleted prototype"? I think you can "review" anything for what it is but comparing it to a finished product might be unfair :)
Well sorry for me being old school. :p
Q: Wait, why can we only play two hours?
A: Because it’s just a prototype, done by a new small team in Barcelona and we wanted to do an unusual approach and give this into the hands of players early. What you are going to play is all we have to show you at the moment.

Q: Ok, got it. But if we want the full game, how long do we have to wait?
A: Quite some time. We will only start full production if the community demands a Gothic Remake. In order to do so, we will need to grow the development team and rebuild Gothic from scratch.
You know reviews used to be for only finished games.

Otherwise it was called a preview or in this case video preview.:)

Enjoying(ed) Elex atm. And vague memories of the same with Gothic II/III way, way back. I can't remember if I played Gothic but I think I didn't, so this'll be fun and new again, maybe, in a way for me.

Back
Top Bottom