Disco Elysium preview

TheRealFluent

H.O.O. Inquisitor
If anyone has any questions about the game, post here. I'm playing a preview version and can probably answer you.

What are the production values like? low quality indie/top shelf indie/AA/AAA?

What are the production values like? low quality indie/top shelf indie/AA/AAA?

Hmm, interesting question. I think the game is very polished, it feels quite high in production values. I wouldn't say AAA, but AA is a safe bet. There is voice acting for major lines which is pretty good - not amazing but sets the mood well. The graphics are quite beautiful to me and the text has no typos or issues so far (only played the first day.) And there is a lot of text, so that part is impressive.

Overall it's a great joy to play. I'm having a ton of fun with it, it's a really intriguing game with a great premise and story hook, and the dialogue has been amongst some of the best I've ever seen in the genre (reminds me of PS:T actually, which they are clearly paying homage to.) It's going to be GOTY or GOTDecade material for me. Really enjoying it.

Any other questions? I should get the full version at the start of next week (probably on Monday.) I've played through the entire first day in 8 hours (preview copy is just the first day.) I can answer whatever you need.

I thought one of their updates said that there were no loading screens except for underground areas, but the preview video I watched showed one between the starting building and the balcony outside. So are there loading screens between interiors and exteriors, after all?

I thought one of their updates said that there were no loading screens except for underground areas, but the preview video I watched showed one between the starting building and the balcony outside. So are there loading screens between interiors and exteriors, after all?

Yes, there are loading screens and sometimes they can be long. I installed on a regular hard drive but when I get the full copy I'll put it on my SSD.

Is the game set in a single city? Are there more cities? Or countryside?

Ought to ask if any romances, but then found a pic that confirms, well, mature content in that direction:
9B43877D6DBC90602B9D156D43DC8DC1681889FC

Is the game set in a single city? Are there more cities? Or countryside?

I believe it's one city with several districts. The preview version only allowed me to play the first day, and I couldn't progress out of the initial starting district.
@joxer;, Yes, there are romances.

How many classes are in the game, besides the regular "detective" class (or private investigator or whatever it is called) ?

How many classes are in the game, besides the regular "detective" class (or private investigator or whatever it is called) ?

There are no classes. Rather, you spend points on your attributes, Intellect, Psyche, Physique and Motorics, and then tag one of 24 skills as your favored skill. As you level up you spend points upgrading the various skills you want. The game has you play the role of a detective who's life was out of control and can't remember anything about it.

You can roleplay a ton of variations of that detective. Want to be a fascist bully cop? You can. How about an empathetic communist cop who loves cocaine? There are tons of choices to make that flesh out the character as your own, thus making everyone's playthrough unique.

I really like the concept of playing a detective, and forging your own path in just how to accomplish that. Choices and consequences are a great lure to get me in the front door, and this game looks like it has both.

I really like the concept of playing a detective, and forging your own path in just how to accomplish that. Choices and consequences are a great lure to get me in the front door, and this game looks like it has both.

It's got tons of choice, consequence and reactive dialogue. This game will set the bar for how dialogue is done in CRPGs from here on out.

Hey Fluent. Thanks for your answers so far. I have one more question. Is the text in the game like in this update the devs gave : https://steamcommunity.com/ogg/632470/announcements/detail/1602643489936624136

I found the text a bit all over the place and wondering if in the game it is a bit more "normal"?

The writing is definitely more normal in the game, don't worry. The writing is actually excellent, it is very compelling yet down to Earth and not overly descriptive. Whoever wrote and edited the script did an amazing job, I've been really impressed with that the most.

Playing the full version now, and boy, are you guys in for a treat. :)

I'm still interested, but I won't be getting it immmediately. I'm not really in the mood right now for a lengthy game that's all text regardless of how good the writing is.

I'm still interested, but I won't be getting it immmediately. I'm not really in the mood right now for a lengthy game that's all text regardless of how good the writing is.

Oh, I'm sure I'll start it today, but not make it very far into it. I'm also kinda swamped with other things. But I do want to support them at launch. Also, this is not some kind of passive-aggressive pressure for anyone to do the same, in case it came off like that.

What I'm currently really excited for, is Red Dead Redemption 2. That's the one I'll be sinking my teeth into.

Back
Top Bottom