What games are you playing now?

I really enjoyed Fallout Three, and keep it on my computer at all times, most likely because I lived and worked in that area of the country for quite some time, and seeing it represented in a game like that just compels me to return and visit it all once again, if only in computer representation. I'm pretty certain it doesn't linger on my machine for the quests!!

I like Fallout 3 a lot, but it's definitely mediocre without mods. The game is way too easy, and you level up too quickly on the default settings. Plus the console UI, lack of iron sights aiming, super fast day/night cycle, etc, etc… Thankfully, all of those things can be fixed/tweaked with mods.

It's one of those games that can be really good if you mod the hell out of it, but I wouldn't dream of playing it vanilla.

As for myself, I haven't really done much gaming the past couple of weeks. I've just been messing around with some emulators. I got the newest version of Cemu and tried Xenoblade Chronicles X and Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

I didn't spend much time on Xenoblade as I could see pretty quickly that it's not my kind of game. It has some nice visuals and interesting monster design, but the writing and characters are very juvenile in a way that so many Japanese RPGs are. It's a shame because the world is really quite impressive, and it seems like it could have been something I'd really enjoy had it been approached differently.

I played a few hours of Zelda: BotW, and my impression was kind of meh. It doesn't help that it runs really choppy which is strange considering the visuals aren't anything special. I do like how interactive the world is, but I'm not sure if I could see myself playing all the way through it despite being a long-time fan of the franchise.

Also been playing around with a few games on PPSSPP which is an emulator for the Sony PSP. Some old Final Fantasy titles and Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles.

I like Fallout 3 a lot, but it's definitely mediocre without mods. The game is way too easy, and you level up too quickly on the default settings. Plus the console UI, lack of iron sights aiming, super fast day/night cycle, etc, etc… Thankfully, all of those things can be fixed/tweaked with mods.

It's one of those games that can be really good if you mod the hell out of it, but I wouldn't dream of playing it vanilla.

Funny you mention you level up too quickly, I finished the game at level 14 (out of 20).

Also been playing around with a few games on PPSSPP which is an emulator for the Sony PSP. Some old Final Fantasy titles and Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles.

Try Dungeons & Dragons Tactics, it's a good D&D game, faithful D&D mechanics.

Funny you mention you level up too quickly, I finished the game at level 14 (out of 20).

You must not have done much exploration or side content. I was close to max level by the end of the game despite using a mod that reduced XP gain by around 50%.

Try Dungeons & Dragons Tactics, it's a good D&D game, faithful D&D mechanics.

Thanks, I forgot about that one.

This weekend I have mainly been playing Arkham Horror via Tabletop Simulator.

=)

I didn't mind FO3 either, I have lots of mods, maybe too many. I've considered rebuilding like I did with Oblivion a while back but it's a little daunting doing that - I'd probably put all the effort into the rebuild and then be too burnt out to actually play it.
That said I started FONV relatively recently and it hasn't grabbed me that much. I've had three stints over the past 6 months on it, think I've put in a bit over 20 hours. IDK exactly what it is that's holding me back, maybe coz I played a lot of FO3.

I've been thinking for a long time about installing the Tale of Two Wastelands mod once they do the next release - was trying to finish NV without it first tho.

Last edited:
You must not have done much exploration or side content. I was close to max level by the end of the game despite using a mod that reduced XP gain by around 50%.
I didn't but you see the problem, some people like to explore every pixel of the world while others prefer to focus on the main story, so how can you make exp progression work for both types of players? What some may consider 'too fast progression', for others it's just fine.

I didn't but you see the problem, some people like to explore every pixel of the world while others prefer to focus on the main story, so how can you make exp progression work for both types of players?

Quite easily. That's something that could be factored into the difficulty settings, but most developers are either too lazy to implement that or don't have the time/budget. In Bethesda's case, they simply don't care because they know modders will create something to tweak it.

What I don't get it is, if you're not into exploration, why play an open-world game?

the writing and characters are very juvenile in a way that so many Japanese RPGs are. It's a shame because the world is really quite impressive, and it seems like it could have been something I'd really enjoy had it been approached differently.
Per their research majority of inferior hardware audience are juveniles or adults that are juvenile in their heads. Especially the audience that plays RPGs on inferior hardware instead of PC.
When it comes to japanese VNs however, the level of obscenity easily surpases anything at the world market. You don't want to play VNs? Your problem.
Per recent Dell's research however… Wait, it's PC, it's not Nintendo. Damn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op8EIkYJPlg&feature=youtu.be
But it's an interesting research right? More than half of (PC) gamers have kids aka they're adults.
Will any japanese developer dare to make a PC RPG soon which would be aimed at those more than 50% of gamers? Who knows. I know Nintendo and Sony won't fund such things.

IMO there is no point in criticizing the content of kindergarden toy boxes. Being disgusted with kindergarden match-a-shape symbols controls is another thing when it's forced upon you in what's supposed to be a mature content game, ofc.

I played a few hours of Zelda: BotW, and my impression was kind of meh.
You didn't react "kinda meh" after seeing screenshots, reading about Ubisoft towers and cooking?
Okay.

Last edited:
Quite easily. That's something that could be factored into the difficulty settings, but most developers are either too lazy to implement that or don't have the time/budget. In Bethesda's case, they simply don't care because they know modders will create something to tweak it.

What I don't get it is, if you're not into exploration, why play an open-world game?

Mostly hype/RPGWatch-peer-pressure. I did enjoy the game though, but I don't like running around everywhere just to see if there is a stimpack hidden under a rock. I go for the main objective in the map, and whatever side quests I find on the way I do them, but I am very objective-oriented, if I don't have an in-game reason to go to the north part of the map, I won't go to the north part of the map.

So, in lieu of looking for a great game, I decided to replay one that I've not touched in almost three years, Fallout the second. Two days in, and it's like I'm twenty years in the past, totally hooked again!!

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD

011.jpg

I'm sure HD made those A B X and Y looking so damn beautiful.

Also, regarding certain style of japanese stories in games… While the story could benefit from a sort of getting "hd", at least it's not from fail set.

344891-the-legend-of-zelda.jpg

Still playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker beta. Sunk in 44 hours so far. Loving this game so far :)

Finished main story of Dishonored with Ghost/Clean Hands/Mostly Flesh and Steel. I was pissed when I discovered there was no way for me to get the last collectable painting because I didn't see Granny Rags at the beginning of the game! Low Chaos end was a bit anti-climactic, but loved that I didn't have to kill anyone in the entire game :) On to dlc next, looking forward to using magic. How long are these compared to the main game?

Performance sucks; a few big bugs; campaign so far is kind of boring; but I'm mostly just doing contracts to get bigger mechs before moving into the campaign. I suspect the difficulty level is messed up because some of the 'hard' stuff is really easy and some of the 'easy' stuff is really hard. I also wish there were more skills for mech drivers.

Seems like you're enjoying it with quirks and all :D

Back
Top Bottom