CD Projekt RED - New Witcher after Cyberpunk 2077

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Games Radar reports that CD Projekt RED's next game will be a new Witcher title.

Work is set to begin on a new Witcher game once Cyberpunk 2077 launches, CD Projekt president Adam Kiciński has revealed.

Kiciński told a group of journalists (via Eurogamer Poland/PSU) that a "relatively clear concept" has already been staked down for the next entry in the Witcher series, but that full production would kick off "immediately" after Cyberpunk 2077 hits the shelves.

[...]
More information.

The only thing surprising about this announcement will be if it ends up not having Ciri as the main protagonist (or even more surprisng, if Geralt is in anything but a supporting role)

To me Geralt and Ciri stories are complete during the 3 Witcher games,so they going to do a different timeline or continue the story somehow?

I’m lukewarm for cyberpunk and have zero interest in returning to the Witcher universe. Given that it takes them 7-8 years to make a game I may be done with CDPR.

A new Witcher game would be a day 1 purchase for me. I hope it doesn't end up being about Ciri though. I wouldn't mind a nameless protagonist that we can customize.

So they'll only sell 39,999,999 copies

Maybe so with the additional interest generated by the tv show.

Who knows, maybe the long development cycle or something they show during that time will renew my interest but as of today I’m pretty burnt out on the Witcher universe especially if i have to play a Witcher again.

Well there is a lot where they could go, slightly into the future of the setting, have more complex and interactive faction systems or do something that picks up on the general zeitgeist. They would definitely get Sapkowski on board because the whole thing has probably given him a legacy and you know, cash. Still they have to make sure CyberPunk 2020 lives up to the hype if only partially. Because that is a lot of hype.

It wouldn't surprise me if they even did something a bit mechanically different... ie. maybe not another open world rpg. Or at least some twists on that. Regardless, they've proven themselves so far to be a pretty good studio so whatever this ends up being - and with whomever is in it - it should be a solid game.

Here we go again:

I'd be fine with a new Witcher series in 10 years or something. :)

Rise of the Witcher Order: Geralt as the only remaining Witcher revives the Witcher schools with the help of Ciri who after 20 years of reigning in Nilfgaard is fed up with politics.
You play as one of the new Witcher aspirants with full character customization.

Really sad that the devs don't seem to have earned some vacation after the Cyberpunk crunch.

Geralt, definitely. I don't agree that Ciri's story was completed at all.

I think that depends on your choices/ending and the interpretation of that.

At least one ending can be interpreted as Ciri being dead.

I don't expect any new Witcher and based on what I've read it's most probably Cyberpunk2 and not Witcher

I feel rather indifferent about these news, when I feel I should be excited.

The Witcher 3 is what I voted for #1 as the best game of the decade, but then I'm not sure it would work without Geralt and Ciri, in some "hundred years before/after" fashion which is so overused (and so unsuccessful in general).

As for a new Cyberpunk... no comment. Will have to see how the first installment is before I decide if I'd like a second one (so far I'm not thrilled).

It's a big world. It would be interesting to have a "witcher" game that doesn't have much to do with witchers at all. Explore something else for a change.

It's a big world. It would be interesting to have a "witcher" game that doesn't have much to do with witchers at all. Explore something else for a change.

Yes, in fact we need a game focusing on the most likable character in that universe:

The Absurd Adventures of Dandelion the Bard.

Rating: NSFW.

A new Witcher game would be a day 1 purchase for me. I hope it doesn't end up being about Ciri though. I wouldn't mind a nameless protagonist that we can customize.

That is about the only way I could ever probably play a Witcher game as so far I haven't been able to finish one. I like Geralt a lot - he is awesome and fully enjoy his stories and books. He is too awesome though. I simply can't see myself as him in a game so I have no connection and feel disjointed and ambiguous when playing. If I could make my own witcher that would be a very different situation.

Sounds good to me. I'd like it if they focussed more on exploration. My only quibble with W3 was that almost every location was populated and "known" in general. Would be cool to go to some strange land where people haven't been for centuries. Or at least more in the outskirts of the world.

I read someone's idea about the other Schools of Witchers. This person said the Cat School (for instance) included a lot of outlaw-type Witchers according to the books. I'd really like if they went with a clean slate and did something like that. The characters in W3 were great, but I've seen so much of them. I don't need to see more.

Back
Top Bottom