Xenonauts 2 - Preview @Christ Centered Gaming

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Xenonauts 2 has been previewed by Christ Centered Gaming.

So far, there isn’t much to judge for the morality of this game. All you have is the little bit of combat present in the demo which, while being a big part of these types of games, is not the only focus. As for what is present, the game can be a bit violent. Now, this is pretty abstract with it being a TBS game, but you are going to have people dying. This style of game is almost impossible to play without suffering any casualties. That doesn’t just include your soldiers either. There are missions with civilians on them and the aliens will actively try to kill them. Anything killed, unless they are really exploded, leave behind a corpse on the ground. Units shot also leave behind pools of blood. Another moral thing to consider is that the enemies you are fighting are aliens, although this time around they appear to be more alien looking than human, like they were in the first game.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Yeah, that is a weird one. There's a guy that does reviews as a Christian dad, and I can understand where that's coming from, but I've no idea what "Christ Centered Gaming" even means.

Maybe it's a curse he utters often while playing? I know I can get plenty colourful in my head when I make a bonehead maneuver that I shouldn't have.

Not sure what to think about this one. Is it immoral to view regions of blood-hued pixels? Morality as shades of virtual gray, I guess.

There are not only a few gaming sites like that.
There is even a Christian Game Developers Conference ( http://www.cgdc.org/ ).

I must say I find that very... disturbing.
Would prefer to have this particular hobby not infiltrated by religious sects.

There are not only a few gaming sites like that.
There is even a Christian Game Developers Conference ( http://www.cgdc.org/ ).

I must say I find that very… disturbing.
Would prefer to have this particular hobby not infiltrated by religious sects.

You mean, beyond the Codex? :)

As for "sects" - we have plenty of more or less insane people playing games. Labels are dangerous - because people tend to confuse what's relevant with what's not.

That's not the fault of the label, though.

I'm fine with a religion-oriented site reviewing games as long as the review isn't skewed by the beliefs of the reviewer. This guy seems to do a good job of keeping things separate.

Sites like that one don't really address people who are not very religious in a specific way, so I don't think it's an issue. There are quite a few religious communities where gaming is either seen as a character flaw or banned outright, and in such specific environments, a review service like the one in the OP may even give some teens access to games that would otherwise not get any.

I went to a church once and they gave a sermon about how the Harry Potter books are an instrument of Satan, and if parents don't ban them their kids will be sent to hell.

I'm fine with a religion-oriented site reviewing games as long as the review isn't skewed by the beliefs of the reviewer. This guy seems to do a good job of keeping things separate.

The focus is of course influenced by the intent of the reviewer, but I do agree that the reviews seem to be fair and (relatively, not absolutely) objective evaluations.

Given that DA:O received 32% on morality score, I'd imagine TW3 to be lower than 30% :p

Thanks Silver for the link.

Over the years we've posted a number of reviews from Christian sites and so far this has been the most polite thread I've seen.

Thanks Silver for the link.

Over the years we've posted a number of reviews from Christian sites and so far this has been the most polite thread I've seen.

It's becoming less cool to bash Christianity.

A reviewer that reviews games through a moral lens and is open about it. What a freaking travesty. Bring out the torches and pitchforks.

Back
Top Bottom