Pillars of Eternity - Preview @ IGN

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
IGh has a new preview for Pillars of Eternity, and posted a new video with spoilers.

When Obsidian developers Josh Sawyer and Brandon Adler ask to drop by the IGN office, you make time to see what they’re up to. The creators of such classics RPGs as Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale (and more recently, South Park: The Stick of Truth) have a resumé littered with memorable role-playing games that all feature impressive depth, breadth, and overall variety. Their latest is Pillars of Eternity, and if it fulfills its promises, it’s sure to keep me in the world of Eora for a long time to come.
More information.

Ovenall I guess they knew what turns you on so they've added it! :p

Won't go for the whole vid because I don't want spoilers and maybe, just maybe, I do betatest it.

Great to hear people will "react strongly" to a Godlike character. That might give me the experience I wanted from Lionheart but didn't get.

so tempted to pony up the extra $25 bucks for the beta ... no ... must pay bills, eat etc

first time through I think I'm gonna test the "any party works" line and go with two chanters and no heavy-armored class, see if that's feasible

Combat is okay. Not much more than Baldurs Gate.
http://youtu.be/dxHC8imCwYc?t=9m52s

Their game quality level is very good. Combat could have been a lot more fun with a turn based system, because they would have had to build in physical feedback on hits. Now in their real-time thingy combatants just standing there while being stabbed by spears.. Grim Dawn has managed really great physical feedback for a team of only 7 people:
http://youtu.be/dxHC8imCwYc?t=16m19s

Combat is okay. Not much more than Baldurs Gate.

Puh-lease. BG didn't have wounds. BG didn't have several physical defenses. BG didn't have "engagement" (can't remember what they call it - opponents being "locked" in combat). BG didn't have skill based critical hits and misses. BG didn't have called shots. BG didn't have wizards built around shooting AoE attacks with their wands. What BG had was buffing/ resting abuse like crazy - and that's one thing PoE probably won't have. :)

*Yawn*….

I think PoE is going to be really good. I'm just not ready to crown it as the new messiah of crpgs like some people seem to be doing already.

Puh-lease. BG didn't have wounds. BG didn't have several physical defenses. BG didn't have "engagement" (can't remember what they call it - opponents being "locked" in combat). BG didn't have skill based critical hits and misses. BG didn't have called shots. BG didn't have wizards built around shooting AoE attacks with their wands. What BG had was buffing/ resting abuse like crazy - and that's one thing PoE probably won't have. :)

Your point? The game isn't released yet, you have no idea how well these are implemented. To be honest I will be happy if Obsidian release finished product if anything.

Your point? The game isn't released yet, you have no idea how well these are implemented. To be honest I will be happy if Obsidian release finished product if anything.

I was replying to someone who claimed the combat is basically like Baldur's Gate's - which is obviously wrong. Wether all those features will fall into place just right I'll judge when I've played the (patched) game.

Ttbomk Obsidian has never canceled a project that was as extensively promoted and publicized as PoE.

*Yawn*….

I think PoE is going to be really good. I'm just not ready to crown it as the new messiah of crpgs like some people seem to be doing already.

I find the hype about an Obsidian game more understandable than, say, Bioware hype. That still happens though. :p

They have released extensive information about a lot of aspects of the game that sound really cool, so I'd say it's understandable if people are pumped.

I'm really looking forward of playing this and I'm trully happy that I backed it. :)

Well, mechanics-wise, I don't put much faith in PoE... they're devising their own systems from scratch, whereas D&D has years and years of combat logistics on their side regardless of the edition.

This is one reason why combat in games such as Dragon Age and, yes, even D:OS feels so cut & dry... there's just not much depth to it as compared to D&D (especially 3.5e... but that went overboard imo). Maybe upcoming gameplay demos will surprise me.

Well, mechanics-wise, I don't put much faith in PoE… they're devising their own systems from scratch, whereas D&D has years and years of combat logistics on their side regardless of the edition.

And we all know how well that worked on the low levels.

It was fine; you're supposed to feel like a peon at those levels…

Not that I'm a big Steve Vogel fan, but he's said one thing that rang true: he's learned to respect his consumers' life time.

When I'm made to play a game where I can auto-swing a sword at an enemy for a couple of minutes without dying but also without bringing that combat to a close, someone obviously thinks it's ok to waste my time.

I can understand some gamers want to start out extremely weak, and when they see a rat quest they just scream "gimme!". Obs didn't go down that route and they decided to have you start out a little stronger. Wether people really will miss slaughtering rats as in BG or kobolds as in IWD remains to be seen.

I find the hype about an Obsidian game more understandable than, say, Bioware hype. That still happens though. :p

Of course it does. Bioware has become a mainstream monster. We're not talking about the same company from the late 90s - early 2000s. That company is long gone.

Back
Top Bottom