What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

I've not watched the Amsterdam Kill in years, yet I recall it being very good. I'm going to have to check Amazon and see if there's a way to watch it there, that's a film that I'd truly love to re-watch!

It's weird watching Nielsen's old movies where he's serious, but he has that police lieutenant /some other authority figure character. Remember him in The forbidden planet? He was somewhat of a late bloomer, his career took off when he started appearing in comedies (as he himself admitted).

I thought I'd seen all the old classic sci-fis, including Forbidden Planet, but looking at the trailers now and I'm pretty sure I've never seen it, which is really confusing me. I'm going to have to add that to my watch list for the future now!

Anyone seen Spine of Night? Looks interesting.

I saw just over half of Hereditary. Pretty intense stuff so far. But I was too tired to see it all at once.

The way they handled the death of Peter's sister, and then the breakdown of her mother. Holy shit that was intense. Gut wrentching.

I just saw the attempt the mother did to contact her daughter from the beyond, and I'm starting to get scared if they're gonna take that route of communicating with the beyond.

I saw just over half of Hereditary. Pretty intense stuff so far. But I was too tired to see it all at once.

The way they handled the death of Peter's sister, and then the breakdown of her mother. Holy shit that was intense. Gut wrentching.

I just saw the attempt the mother did to contact her daughter from the beyond, and I'm starting to get scared if they're gonna take that route of communicating with the beyond.

It's definitely worth watching to the end. Fwiw, I liked it a lot more than Midsommar.

Just watched Free Guy that stars Ryan Reynolds as a clueless man who discovers he's stuck in a digital game world. It's not the first movie of this type but it was enjoyable.

I'd give it a C+ at the end of the day. Nothing special but a good time waster.

Last edited:
It's definitely worth watching to the end. Fwiw, I liked it a lot more than Midsommar.

Yeah, I finished it. Definitely took an unexpected turn, for the better actually. I'm not sure I got all of it, but I got the broad strokes. I personally liked Midsommar. Especially the atmosphere and visuals. And I felt Hereditary had a similar structure. This was of course much more creepy than Midsommar.

Watch hidden details YT video afterwards to see what you've missed :)

Watch hidden details YT video afterwards to see what you've missed :)

Yeah I was surprised how much they hint at everything from the very beginning. Even things that felt weird in the moment, but I completely forgot or disregarded, actually had a point.

ex: during the very beginning of the movie, during the funeral, there's a bald punk-looking dude that, iirc, does a weird face either at Charlie or at her mother. He was obviously part of the cult that only appears later on.

Saw another horror movie, but this one is a little more unconventional. I think I heard of it from redlettermedia. The Blackcoat’s daughter. Very atmospheric and slow paced. I enjoyed it.

I enjoyed that one too. It features the actress that goes on to star in the Sabrina remake on Netflix. She does "unsettling" quite well.
The same director (of Blackcoat's Daughter) did Netflix's I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House, which is one of the most disappointing, pretentious movies I have ever sat through. He also directed Gretel & Hansel, which I have yet to see (despite the title, my understanding is that it is another moody horror flick).

I enjoyed that one too. It features the actress that goes on to star in the Sabrina remake on Netflix. She does "unsettling" quite well.
The same director (of Blackcoat's Daughter) did Netflix's I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House, which is one of the most disappointing, pretentious movies I have ever sat through. He also directed Gretel & Hansel, which I have yet to see (despite the title, my understanding is that it is another moody horror flick).

I saw about half of Gretel and Hansel, and I'm not sure why I stopped, because I absolutely loved the visuals and atmosphere. I need to pick that back up. I think it might've been my usual reluctance to horror. I hate jump-scares so I'm constantly on edge that they're gonna pull those. But then I heard there aren't any in Gretel and Hansel, so I need to go back to those.

Watched The Irishman yesterday. I was holding off on that one due to the length of the movie. So, yesterday I started early enough to watch it in one go and I really enjoyed myself and never felt it was too long.
It is perhaps not the best work Scorcese has made, but it is a good movie. For Netflix standards it is actually an excellent movie.

Watched The Irishman yesterday. I was holding off on that one due to the length of the movie. So, yesterday I started early enough to watch it in one go and I really enjoyed myself and never felt it was too long.
It is perhaps not the best work Scorcese has made, but it is a good movie. For Netflix standards it is actually an excellent movie.

I started the Irishman some time ago, and stopped pretty early. I think the main reason was seeing that scene where Deniro is de-aged digitally, but the scene where he kicks some dude in the face, and his movement was that of an old man, really took me out of it. I've been meaning to get back into it. I just hope it's not another holywood propaganda film about how unions are bad and they're always involved with the mob.

Frankly I'm surprised Scorsese made the movie as it's well known Sheeran fabricated lots of stuff in the book (he didn't kill Hoffa nor crazy Joe Gallo). But I guess regardless he thought it would make and interesting movie & it was also an opportunity for a get-together with Pesci and Deniro.

Dune Part 1

I'm still digesting it at the moment, but I can definitely say I liked it more than I thought I was going to. The visuals and music are really good, and the acting was better than I expected for the most part. It's also a lot closer to the book, at least plot-wise, than the 1984 film was. Hopefully the second half will be as faithful.

Saw an old comedy yesterday: "Le jour de gloire" (The day of honor). Back in the seventies the french made a lot of IMNSHO very funny crazy comedies, starring Louis de Funes, Pierre Richard and others. Found this movie on Netflixe, hope this means that they will publish more comedies from that era.

pibbur who aknowledges that perhaps he may not find them as funny as he did back then when he was young and innocent.

PS. Yes, I liked the film. DS.

Dune Part 1

I'm still digesting it at the moment, but I can definitely say I liked it more than I thought I was going to. The visuals and music are really good, and the acting was better than I expected for the most part. It's also a lot closer to the book, at least plot-wise, than the 1984 film was. Hopefully the second half will be as faithful.

I'm having difficulty deciding between going to the cinema during covid, or just waiting for a 4k version of the hbo film. Does/Will hbomax stream the movie in 4k?

Back
Top Bottom