Solasta updates

Redglyph

SasqWatch
If you fancy early fixes, they pushed a patch on Steam branch 1.0.22
https://steamcommunity.com/games/1096530/announcements/detail/3037095234441140931

Public Beta Branch 1.0.22

Note: These changes are only available on the Public Beta branch for now.
  • Removed outdated crafting recipe for scroll of Mirror Image that doesn't work
  • Made sure a certain Sorak can now be targeted while hanging on the wall
  • Fixed some AoE spells looking very strange when cast next to walls
  • Fixed one specific beard being misplaced on dwarven faces
  • Fixed an issue when two cutscenes were trying to trigger at the same time
  • Fixed a couple of crashes that could occur during specific encounters
  • Fixed an issue which could cause the quest journal to break when the player would go back and forth between too many quests at once without completing any of them.
  • Attempting a hotfix to "being stuck when starting a new campaign". Users affected by the issue should now see a variation of the Intro Movie, though without sound.
  • Fixed a save corruption issue if a character equipped an Orc Shortbow, Orc Javelin or Ogre Javelin. Saves that were corrupted in this manner should now properly load.
  • Fixed an issue when loading an Early Access save where a certain cutscene with Merton… did not have Merton in it. Making it very awkward.
  • Improved a few cutscenes when talking to Merton
  • Fixed an instance where the Lowlife and Sellsword cutscenes would trigger at the same time
  • Fixed a rare save corruption issue which could happen when the player saved while a scroll was being scribed
  • Fixed a sequence break in Dark Castle where players who managed to go through a tree in a certain place could end up getting their main quest stuck. If your main quest is stuck in Dark Castle, you will need to load a save prior to entering Dark Castle / right after entering the Dark Castle location from the World Map
  • Fixed a rare sequence break in Dark Castle that could happen if players used Misty Step while trying to solve the Maze puzzle.
  • Fixed a rare issue in Caer Lem where the main quest would not progress after defeating Soraks in combat
  • Guardian of Faith can now be cast (although it is lacking some VFX for now)
  • Fixed an instance in the Evocation Main Quest where the door would not open when meeting with Brok in front of the Throne Room to face Arrok.
  • Fixed some items being deleted by reordering the inventory while trying to sell things at a shop
  • Banishment should now correctly permanently banish extraplanar creatures when the banished target is the last remaining enemy in the fight.
  • Ending a fight with a creature controlled by Dominate Person will automatically kill it, instead of having it follow you everywhere (and unfortunately breaking the game in the process)
  • Fixed an exploit wherein selecting a sub-class during level up, then cancelling the level up process, then using the level up to select another sub-class would grant you the features of both sub-classes
  • Fixed the issue where shooting a bow with a Dwarf would cause massive delays every time
  • Fixed a rare instance in Cradle of Fire where none of the characters would have a dialog choice when trying to give back the axe to Radulf, effectively blocking the game
  • Fixed a rare instance in one Council cutscene where none of the characters would have a dialog choice, effecitvely blocking the game
  • Remove outdated Scroll of Mirror Image from the game
  • Fixed Poison Vial acting like a Healing Potion
  • Finally added Primed Longsword to the Arcaneum Shop
  • Calm Emotion now only affects humanoids like it should
  • Fixed a sequence break where obtaining the bones in Aer Elai before entering a fight would block progress on the main quest. If you are affected by this issue, you need to load a save from before you looted the bones

It's now an official hotfix.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1096530/announcements/detail/5391352763132294661

Don't miss the known issues! And for the first item (GPU fans at 100%), it's probably worth trying Windowed fullscreen (default is Exclusive fullscreen), if the method below doesn't work.

Known Issues & Work Around

I have a high end GPU (GTX 2070, 3090, …) and Solasta keeps overheating my computer!
We found out that the game does not perform properly above 60 FPS :( The solution is to go to the graphic setting and either switch VSync to Double, or if that doesn't work switch VSync to none and to cap your FPS at 60, and to lower your resolution to 1080p

My main quest is stuck even though the patch notes says it's fixed!
Most of the time if you sequence break (aka you manage to bypass a trigger that would make the quest move on), a patch won't fix your save retroactively. This means you will need to load a previous save file and re-do the level - for example, if you're stuck in Dark Castle, you will need to load a save from the start of Dark Castle (or before you arrived at Dark Castle).

I used to be stuck in a weird screen with clouds when I started a new campaign
This was an issue primarily with Windows 7 configs where Microsoft removed a certain codec that prevents Unity videos from working. We should have implemented a work-around without having to delete the movie in your folder, but if you are still stuck please make sure to let us know (at worst, the old work-around still works)

For some merchants, trying to open their shop just doesn't open anything
You simply need to save again and load that save, it should fix the issue.

I see there was a small update 1.0.22c (1.6 MB for me).
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1096530/view/2999941807433350824

1.0.22c Patch Notes
  • Fixed an infinite loop that would happen if the player finished the combat with an elemental being banished
  • Fixed a bug where characters could lose their sub-class after leveling up
  • Fixed merchants sometimes not opening their shop, forcing players to press escape to close the non-existent shop
Note: If you lost your sub-class via this level-up bug, you can go on the open beta branch which has the fix currently being tested. You just need to select the character who lost their sub-class (simply click on them) and it should re-apply their sub-class.

Review and guides

The yellow ball in the sky has finally subsided a little and stopped roasting us, so switching the PC on and playing is a possibility again. A few videos to celebrate!

A first in-depth-impressions sort of review from WolfheartFPS that I had overlooked. Quite fair IMO.

Here are two guides from the same author, to help with starting a new game. I especially recommend the character creation guide to anyone who's not used to D&D 5E, it has many valuable tips :)

This one is longer and presents all races and classes in details.

And finally a few tips for combat!

Don't watch them all at once ;)

So I've finished it today with a total of about 60 h with doing alle content I could find.

It's a good game, I had fun. I knew before that production value isn't hight and the focus is on combat, so I did not expect a lot from the other features.

I was positively surprised with how they handled the concept with having a custom party without a main character whom the story revolves about. By giving the chars some personality flags and a voice, they felt quite alive, though sometimes a little awkward - just like your everyday PnP group. I think the general is approach is great and I'm trilled to see what they or other devs with a higher budegt can create in the future with such a concept.

I was a little disappointed by the combat. While it's really great to have a neat D&D turn based combat, I felt it was too limited. I had two casters (wizard, cleric with bow) and two melee fighters (fighter, rogue) and I has my default actions (hit, shoot, cantrip) and in the more difficult fights I had some default attack spells (fireball, scorching ray, lighting bolt) and healing. Some times I buffed with haste or debuffed with blind. But that was pretty much it. I'm missing the more or less carefully planned buffing like in BG2 or Pathfinder, and especially the caster battles from BG1/2 where you had to carefully strip each other of protection spells.
Also I couldn't do "combos" like conjure an elemental and buff it (with haste) due to the limitation by concentration.
It also wasn't exactly necessary or even helpful to protect yourself with spells like Protection from Energy.
I don't know if these simplifications are just due to D&D 5 being more simplified or if it was a decision by Tactical Adventures.

Also I found the loot quite underwhelming. A lot of chests and crates only contained crap.

They had some novel spells like levitating and flying which sometimes were great for exploring. But Flying totally crumbled when you couldn't even use in end game to fly over some barriers or from one "floating platform" to another. Not a big deal, but it seems like the area/quest designers didn't think of the Flying spell, so they just ignored that they created an inconsistent situation.

And I really would have liked to buy some magic items from the Antiquarians in mid/late game, but I didn't have enough points despite having done all content and tried to give them everything since early/mid game. Seems like you have to concentrate on one faction from the very start if you want to get the good stuff.
So I had tons of money in my bags and some great items in the store, but just couldn't buy anything. Didn't like that.

I also had some bugs like the dialogue system chosing the wrong character for a certain response or an immunity to fire given by an item (which should prevent any fire damage) only acting as resistance to fire (which only halves fire damage). Nothing game breaking though. I also hadn't any problems with overheating (i7-4790k, 1080TI).

Thanks for sharing! Good to hear you had fun :)

Concentration and buff limitation is D&D 5E. Didn't you feel that the tactical choices were more important because of it? I often have the impression that some small decisions can make a combat a success or a total failure. But perhaps it was just luck, that's why I'm curious to hear other's opinion.

Yes, the factions can be frustrating. I wanted to buy a primed weapon but couldn't get it, even though I had items for the faction, just not enough. Then I got it by luck in a loot, later. So while it's frustrating, and the loot is often uninteresting, it makes special items more precious. It does make the factions feel arbitrary though, especially since it entirely depends on the type of items each is looking for and it's out of the player's control.

Concentration and buff limitation is D&D 5E. Didn't you feel that the tactical choices were more important because of it? I often have the impression that some small decisions can make a combat a success or a total failure. But perhaps it was just luck, that's why I'm curious to hear other's opinion.
Hm, no, I didn't feel that. Perhaps my problem was that I hadn't increased difficulty, so combat was quite trivial from mid game.
I still felt that impact was too small for buffs. With haste my melee fighters had 3 attacks instead of 2. That's good but not a game changer. I didn't even use other buffs like Bless, Protection from Evil and so on.
I like it that when making the correct choice the battle goes from nearly impossible to quite easy. For example if you fight some fire monsters, you cast protection from fire, select ice spells and perhaps enchant your weapons to do ice damage (don't know if that's actually possible in D&D 5). Or fighting an "invulnerable" caster who just needs to be stripped of that one protection spell before you're able to harm him.
Or having to cast Improved Invisibility on your rogue or somehow increasing Stealth to sneak attack every round (in DnD 5 you apparently can do this every round when your opponent is threatened by an ally). Or using turn/destroy undead with your cleric (I used it in Solasta but it also wasn't much of a game changer).

Btw. I also don't like D&D5's general proficiency bonus. It's an oversimplification and prevents characters from developing differently, thus making all characters (of the same class) more or less identical.

As I said in another discussion, imo 5th Edition is great for PnP playing, not so much for PC Games.

Turn Undead is helpful sometimes, but more than once I had to chase them down, it was awkward :D Perhaps past some distance the enemies should be considered out of combat and idle again.

Well, I have no issue with 5E even though I'm switching between that and Pathfinder, but I'm probably easily satisfied for that feature. I haven't played the whole game, so maybe I would find it more annoying later.

Well, I guess I only was disappointed because Solasta's combat was praised. It's not that it is bad. I just expected more. It could get better with an increased level limit when you get more options and with a greater variety of opponents.

Last edited:
Well, I guess only disappointed because Solasta's combat was praised. It's not that it is bad. I just expected more. It could get better with an increased level limit when you get more options and with a greater variety of opponents.

They need to add giants asap. It isn't D&D without all the giant bashing. Get trolls in right away.

Tiny hotfix for Solasta today, patch notes:
The 1.1.8 patch fixes the following:
  • Protection from Energy should now work properly again.
  • The bug that would sometimes make UI buttons disappear at random during battles should now be fixed, and with it the annoying "data corruption" error message when trying to load saves after that. Bad bug, bad!
  • Hector, the pre-made Sorcerer that just picked up the game recently, had his DM check his character sheet. He no longer has Guiding Bolt twice at level 1 in his spell list.
  • Fixed an exploit where Spellblades could learn an infinite amount of new cantrips if they cancelled their level up at level 10.
  • Fixed a rare crash that could happen when the party "graciously returned" the crown to the Council in the later half of the campaign.
  • Fixed a few localization issues
And a intro video to the new Sorcerer class:

Looking really good! That dungeon designer could get very interesting.

If they add giants and trolls, somebody could re-make G1/G2/G3. ;)

Another fix, 1.1.11, and a message:
As promised, the patch 1.1.11 and the Kickstarter Digital Rewards have been sent!

Check your mails for one from CrowdOx named Solasta: Crown of the Magister - The Digital Rewards are now available! although it may take up to 24h to arrive!

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1096530/announcements/detail/2977426980066665572

Patch Notes:
  • [Sorcerer] Added Blue Dragon Ancestry (Lightning) in Character Creation.
  • [Sorcerer] Draconic Sorcerer Elemental Affinity should now properly apply to all spells that deal their ancestor's elemental damage, such as Fireball and Burning Hands for Gold Dragon Sorcerers.
  • [Sorcerer] Empowered Spell Metamagic now correctly costs 1 Sorcery Point instead of 2.
  • [Sorcerer] Empowered Spell Metamagic now correctly rerolls 1s and 2s instead of only 1s.
  • [Sorcerer] Fixed a rare crash on level-up if the Sorcerer had too many spells known for their current level.
  • [Item] Potion of Fly should now correctly grant you Fly instead of Levitate.
  • [Item] Staff of Metis are no longer restricted to Wizards.
  • [Quest] Fixed a bug where Arwin Merton could be controllable but not considered in the party. You are on this council but we do not grant you the rank of Master.
  • [Quest] Fixed a bug in Cradle of Fire where Brok would just chill next to the Arena instead of helping you fight Arrok. Must have just forgot the time. Note: If your main quest is stuck after killing Arrok due to that bug, you'll need to load a save from before you start the fight with Arrok and that should fix it.
  • [Quest] Fixed a bug where the exit to the Legendary Quest would not appear unless you touched the wooden sign next to the fireplace for uh… reasons I guess. Now the exit always appears once the quest is complete. Note that if you are stuck there, just have one party member interact with the wooden sign next to the fireplace (press ALT to highlight it).
  • [Quest] Fixed an issue where characters with the highest skill modifier were not always selected for the respective skill check in the Caer Lem Door Cutscene. Note that this only fixes this specific dialog, so if you find that this issue occurs somewhere else please send us save files / screenshots!
  • [Shop] Powerful magic items no longer restock once bought (such as the Tomes which grant +2 permanent stat)
  • [Combat] Fixed an issue where the UI could disappear between characters' turn.
  • [Combat] Fixed an issue where banters would no longer be played when getting healed. Always thank your healer!
  • [Dungeon Maker] Poisons should now appear in the list of items available in chests

Those pets of theirs o_O
8ec52deabc07cf3560a9e998c5cc0ede59ed4ba1.jpg

Wow, just a one-pager topic for Solasta??

I finally got to the game. I'm going in with a battle-focus cleric, a monk, a marksman ranger, and a court wizard.
I've been looking forward to playing Solasta for a long time, but I waited this long because I wanted all the DLC to be released before I started.

Now that it's finally complete, it's stuck behind BG3 and Starfield in my queue. I hope to get to it at the end of the year or maybe early next year.

Interesting party btw.

Similar to JDR, I've simply been waiting for all the content to be formally released and patched up. This is currently on my list to play, hopefully a bit later this year.

Well, seems like I'm one of the early players, then! That doesn't happen a lot.

I should try again in the near future, to see if they have improved the performance of their game. It would be interesting to revisit the combat mechanics and compare them with BG3.

I only have base game - might give it another spin at some point. How long did it take you guys to finish the main campaign?

Back
Top Bottom