Windows 11

@Ripper; quote him next time, to catch him red-handed :lol:

Lol, yeah - I try to remember to do that, but I keep forgetting.

I don't quite know what's wrong with me, but I've been a little sad at the thought of never having a new Windows version again.

So, this W11 news was a positive for me - just through the name alone.

I guess I'm not that smart :)

Well, except that I was right in absolutely not understanding why they'd stop taking money from people by incrementing numbers on a box.

As for this version, I don't know. I don't remember the last time Microsoft impressed me with their OS upgrade. Maybe Windows 2000/XP - that seemed a proper upgrade.

Of course, coming from the AmigaOS - it wasn't until Windows 95 (with actual multitasking) that I started to appreciate Windows - and it wasn't until 2000/XP that I considered it a comparable OS.

Obviously, having invested a minor fortune in the right hardware (including the right SSD, GPU and so forth) - I'm happy to hear that I might one day get to experience load times resembling the actual capacity of my gear.

But, from what I've seen, W11 won't be anything to write home about.

I'll use it as an excuse to re-install from the ground up, I guess. I used to do that every 3-6 months.

I don't bother with that at all, anymore.

Quote him next time, to catch him red-handed
Lol, yeah - I try to remember to do that, but I keep forgetting.
Go ahead I rarely do what you say I do anyway.:biggrin:

Most of my post edits are because of grammar errors as I type fast. As a mod you have the tools to see what I changed or deleted. I'm guilty in the political forum though.

As sometimes the reply is not worth it.:cool:

Not a big deal. Just not the first time you've left me with people wondering what the hell I'm responding to. :p

The requirement for new hardware to run windows-11 seems heavy handed. While enterprise frequently update the hardware every three years home user might keep the same hardware or at least the motherboard/cpu for 8+ years. From a performance perspective a 10 year old i7 is more than fast enough for most games. This suggest that microsoft has little interest in meeting the needs of the home user with windows 11 and it is largely aimed at enterprise. This would beg the question what the future plans are with support for games and if there might be greater divergent between the console and pc support for such esp if microsoft wish to encourage user to use the console. I realize that these comments are largely speculative in nature but it does seem the focus of the new development.

Starting to get targeted with communications for this, its annoying. I usually updated early as I used to do light software tech/IT at work and so was always testing newest OS. No longer doing IT for work so meh.

Still I was curious on the support and this was on their FAQ:

What if my PC doesn’t meet the minimum hardware specifications? Can I stay on Windows 10?

Yes! Windows 10 continues to be a great version of Windows. We have committed to supporting Windows 10 through October 14, 2025.

I got my current PC on 8/17/2019 so it will be 2 years old in a couple weeks.

They mentioned a TPM.MSC which I ran and said my PC didn't have TPM. The PC was pretty state of the line at the time so was surprised although I guess I shouldn't be.

EDUT: So Windows pulled their app but there is a nice one at GitHub which I ran. Does say I fail for win11 (and I have a really nice PC that even now runs fantastic) so that is frustrating.

On the other hand it might just be disabled on the BIOS although I don't know why … but then I am so not a hardware/computer-guts person so I avoid anything to do with the BIOS.

51341181227_5d7f188525_o.png

EDIT TWO: So I am just an idiot. I rebooted and went into the BIOS and I do have TPM 2.0. It is disabled and gave a warning about enabling it so left it off since everythng is working fine right now.

At least I know that is the problem - its disabled not missing. I was really surprised at the idea of it being missing.

Still I may end up with a new PC soon anyhow as I have been looking around for something with one of the newer Nvidia cards.

Last edited:
I don't quite know what's wrong with me, but I've been a little sad at the thought of never having a new Windows version again.
It's hard to say, for sure, but it's definitely something. :p

So, this W11 news was a positive for me - just through the name alone.

I guess I'm not that smart :)
Yeah, love that name. It's like a Window is something you can look outside of to see the real world.

Well, except that I was right in absolutely not understanding why they'd stop taking money from people by incrementing numbers on a box.
It's the Microsoft way!

However, the answer would be they have enough money and harvesting users data is where it's at, these days.

As for this version, I don't know. I don't remember the last time Microsoft impressed me with their OS upgrade. Maybe Windows 2000/XP - that seemed a proper upgrade.
Well, I refused to move to Vista but thought Win7 was pretty good. I say Win7 was their best OS.

Of course, coming from the AmigaOS - it wasn't until Windows 95 (with actual multitasking) that I started to appreciate Windows - and it wasn't until 2000/XP that I considered it a comparable OS.
This bit is why I wrote this silly reply. :)

While I did come from Amiga before PC, the move from DOS to Win95 had me disgusted with what appeared to be a move from M$ to wedge themselves between the hardware and software. It had all these horrible things called "drivers" and "directX". The performance hit when you ran something in Windows95 was massive. Win95 was the worst thing that ever happened to PC. It's taken near 30 years to recover from this assault on PCs with the new "closer to the metal" APIs like Vulkan. But in DOS days developers were already closer to the metal. Microsoft sucks!

Obviously, having invested a minor fortune in the right hardware (including the right SSD, GPU and so forth) - I'm happy to hear that I might one day get to experience load times resembling the actual capacity of my gear.
Yeah, that DirectStorage is one of the more interesting developments. I am very intrested to hear more about it. Maybe there will be alternative methods to do the same thing without Windows? I'd like to hear more about that.

I was looking to upgrade for cp2077 but then I played it. But I was looking at getting the 5950x, too. =)

GPUs over here are supposed to be $900 at RRP but they're selling for somewhere between 2500-3000 for a 3080/6800xt. I'd just feel too embarrassed to pay that much. There's nothing to play, anyway!

But, from what I've seen, W11 won't be anything to write home about.

I'll use it as an excuse to re-install from the ground up, I guess. I used to do that every 3-6 months.

I don't bother with that at all, anymore.
I used to format pretty often in winXP days, but 7 seems to fuck up a lot less.

Well, Microsoft also developed the by far most popular version of DOS :)

Also, in DOS - you needed drivers to enable efficient communication between your hardware and the OS, so that wasn't really different.

The problem with Windows 95 was how Microsoft opted to integrate DOS into it - so most games you ran in Windows would simply go the DOS route, which meant there wasn't much incentive to focus on smart driver unification and what not - which came much later.

Now, I'm not a big fan of any big corporation - and certainly not Microsoft - but we must also remember that there's a difference between set-in-stone hardware with an OS developed specifically for that hardware by the very people behind the hardware - and then trying to develop efficient software for hardware that's specifically NOT set-in-stone as the very point of it - as a developer NOT involved with that hardware.

But but, details - I know :)

While you did not say otherwise; the popularity of DOS had to do with marketing; and many would argue illegal marketing; than a particular astute operating system. I see little reason to iterate the many things MS did to make DOS popular other than to note that many of them had nothing to do with improving compute environment for customers.

Well, Microsoft also developed the by far most popular version of DOS :)

Well, after using Windows 11 on my laptop for a while, I can't see any reason why anyone wouldn't upgrade to it if they're currently on Windows 8/8.1/10. Unless having a taskbar in the middle of the screen really annoys you that much. If you're waiting for the next Windows 7 (let's face it, most of us just wanted MS to iterate on that for the last 10 years), well that ship has sailed. And Windows 8 to 10 were kinda shit, just upgrade dammit.

It has similar innards, and looks a hell of a lot nicer. Instead of the old fashioned Metro look with it's terribly anti-aliased fonts you get something closer to a Windows 7 look. The deeper forms and menus (some of which have been around since Vista, if not earlier) no longer clash so much with the top level UI.

The only criticism I have probably applies to all Windows releases - the inability to separately choose touch/mouse click settings means that if you want your 2-in-1 to toggle between behaving like a laptop or tablet (i.e. double click or single touch) you have to go into the mouse settings each time. I don' t know why they fart around with tablet or detached keyboard modes but never address the basic aspects of control schemes.

Their only improvement to tablet mode is, well, getting rid of it. That's okay, it was a confusing monster, but locking the taskbar to the middle of the screen will only piss off people who are determined to stay with the Windows classic control scheme and never use their PC as a tablet.

These days I hardly use a Start button, so the new placing doesn't annoy me too much. When using my laptop as a PC, if it's not a taskbar shortcut then "Windows key then type-to-search" is what I mostly do (even in Linux!).

I'm on the Dev branch (was the only choice at the time), which is meant to be a little rough around the edges, but I have had no major bugs of any kind. Pretty much smooth sailing.
The only very minor glitches were cosmetic. E.g. some windows' titles were slightly clipped on the left by a couple of pixels, which can be fixed by resizing.

NOTE to those who made the jump to Windows Insider and are using the Dev branch:

Apparently Windows 11 is now available on the Beta branch. So, to increase the chance of continued stability you might want to switch to that before the window closes.

Well, after using Windows 11 on my laptop for a while, I can't see any reason why anyone wouldn't upgrade to it if they're currently on Windows 8/8.1/10. Unless having a taskbar in the middle of the screen really annoys you that much. If you're waiting for the next Windows 7 (let's face it, most of us just wanted MS to iterate on that for the last 10 years), well that ship has sailed. And Windows 8 to 10 were kinda shit, just upgrade dammit.

It has similar innards, and looks a hell of a lot nicer. Instead of the old fashioned Metro look with it's terribly anti-aliased fonts you get something closer to a Windows 7 look. The deeper forms and menus (some of which have been around since Vista, if not earlier) no longer clash so much with the top level UI.

The only criticism I have probably applies to all Windows releases - the inability to separately choose touch/mouse click settings means that if you want your 2-in-1 to toggle between behaving like a laptop or tablet (i.e. double click or single touch) you have to go into the mouse settings each time. I don' t know why they fart around with tablet or detached keyboard modes but never address the basic aspects of control schemes.

Their only improvement to tablet mode is, well, getting rid of it. That's okay, it was a confusing monster, but locking the taskbar to the middle of the screen will only piss off people who are determined to stay with the Windows classic control scheme and never use their PC as a tablet.

These days I hardly use a Start button, so the new placing doesn't annoy me too much. When using my laptop as a PC, if it's not a taskbar shortcut then "Windows key then type-to-search" is what I mostly do (even in Linux!).

I'm on the Dev branch (was the only choice at the time), which is meant to be a little rough around the edges, but I have had no major bugs of any kind. Pretty much smooth sailing.
The only very minor glitches were cosmetic. E.g. some windows' titles were slightly clipped on the left by a couple of pixels, which can be fixed by resizing.

Is there a reason to not wait for its actual release though?

How about file management? Have they finally made some significant improvements there? I think I've been waiting since '95 for a decent alternative to Directory Opus or even Norton Commander.

My guess would be no.

Yeah, I don't even bother with a start button on Linux. Don't ever use a mouse for that - just Windows key, type-to-search, Return.

How about file management? Have they finally made some significant improvements there? I think I've been waiting since '95 for a decent alternative to Directory Opus or even Norton Commander.

My guess would be no.
Your guess would be correct! It looks a little nicer, but there is no split-pane option as far as I can tell. It would have been great if they had added a shortcut to do something like that, like in KDE's Dolphin (push F3).

Edit: Oh there are "snap layouts", which I have hardly used yet. That will require you opening two windows though, and selecting the snap layout you want on each. Hardly as convenient as tapping a single key.
https://allthings.how/how-to-split-screen-in-windows-11/

Last edited:
Just a heads up Microsoft will officially release Windows 11 on October 5th.

Back
Top Bottom