Code 43 error with video card.

Oh man, that would annoy me.

One thing I would suggest for anyone who tinkers inside their PC - get an oversized case with really good cable management. Fiddling around in a cramped case is an exercise in frustration.

I prefer ITX cases; the smaller the better. Having said that you can run your cpu without a cooler; just don't do a lot or it will auto-shutdown. Having said that I hate intel heat sink even when they work. AMD - now that was a heat sink. I've been using noctua for my new builds - cost an arm and a leg but love the design and keeps the cpu 30 degree cooler than intel. Having said that you can get the same effectiveness for 1/2 the price - but I started with them on my itx build because I had tight clearance on some of the mb and many of the better altneratives wouldn't fit (ram slots too close to the cpu).

I'm with Ripper on cases. My cat can lay in the bottom of my case, there is so much room :) Not that I suggest it though. I already have to blow out cat hair every couple months. 3 cats will do that to you. I also have a dog but his hair seems to stay on the bed sheets where it belongs :D

Different cases can't guarantee accidents like this one above won't happen.

The actual reason something can easily go south is the PC architecture. While everything is slowly turning into USB pluggers (even external GPUs now exist) we're still using ancient IBM PC architecture with crapload of different ports, different protocols and, of course, screws as if we're using mechanics and not electronics.
I'm not saying USB should become standard for everything, but we need to abandon the system of building a skeleton with bones already.

Well the new intel puts the gpu with the cpu; and zotac puts the 1080 on the mb. Anyway this isn't because of the architecture. The fact is current system need cooling. That might change in the future but as long as cooling is required there is an opportunity for one more aspect of the system to fail. Failure happens many different ways - jdr just hit one of them. I've had intel fans outright fail. Using a USB gpu wouldn't have helped.

Different cases can't guarantee accidents like this one above won't happen.

The actual reason something can easily go south is the PC architecture. While everything is slowly turning into USB pluggers (even external GPUs now exist) we're still using ancient IBM PC architecture with crapload of different ports, different protocols and, of course, screws as if we're using mechanics and not electronics.
I'm not saying USB should become standard for everything, but we need to abandon the system of building a skeleton with bones already.

Use it as an opportunity to test your card. All this playing around with drivers, Ubuntu USB sticks and reinstalling OS counts for nothing if your GPU croaked. It really should have been the very first thing you did.

He is; he was going to try linux but now he has decided to pull it and take it to a friend. In the process he discovered that he killed his cpu fan and now he needs to also replace that.

Use it as an opportunity to test your card. All this playing around with drivers, Ubuntu USB sticks and reinstalling OS counts for nothing if your GPU croaked. It really should have been the very first thing you did.

Managed to borrow an old 9600 GT from a friend. Gonna throw that in my system later to see if it works and then hopefully I should know if I need to RMA my card.

No luck on getting a new cpu cooler in this podunk town I live in. I went to 3 different computer shops, and the only compatible cooler I could find was some massive Arctic model that they wanted $75 for. Even the local Best Buy didn't have any regular air-cooled types. All they had was a liquid-cooled Corsair which I thought was pretty odd. Why would you carry a high-end liquid-cooled solution but not any normal coolers?

I ended up just ordering a basic Arctic Alpine cooler from Newegg with 2-day shipping.

Well the new intel puts the gpu with the cpu
I believe we're not discussing phones and consoles here. SoC and APU have no place in gaming PC - even with fully supported dx12/vulkan product it's more efficent to combine two proper GPUs.

Get with the trend joxer; it will one day in the not too far future be much cheaper and faster to just buy a single silicon solution. When we had intel silly gpu it made sense to get a dedicated gpu but when that gpu is equivalent to a 1080 or better most people will opt for the single silicon solution - after all they can always add a dedicated gpu later if needed.

I believe we're not discussing phones and consoles here. SoC and APU have no place in gaming PC - even with fully supported dx12/vulkan product it's more efficent to combine two proper GPUs.

Well, I'm pretty sure my video card is borked. The 9600 GT I borrowed works fine in my system, but reinstalling my card brings back the same issue again. Looks like I'll be starting an RMA tomorrow.

In almost 20 years of building my own systems, this is the first time I've had a graphics card go bad.

Yeah, seems like a fairly rare occurrence. Mind you, I don't overclock or anything like that.
I've only ever had it happen once, and that was with a second hand Radeon R7 270 I bought off an auction site that only lasted a few months. It's the only desktop AMD card I've ever had, and only because I had a Crossfire mobo I wanted to try out. Never got around to buying the second video card that Crossfire would have required anyway, and now I'm back to nVidia-land.

I'm an Nvidia guy all the way. I've had Radeons in the past, but it's been a long time since I went with an AMD card. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I used to swap between Radeon and Nvidia every generation but a few years ago ATi fell behind and when AMD acquired ATI that was the end (AMD took ATI massive bitcoin profit and used it to stay afloat rather than push the GPU envelope like Nvidia). ATI (AMD) is finally on the verge of making a generation leap so maybe sometime in the future I will switch back.

Well, I'm pretty sure my video card is borked. The 9600 GT I borrowed works fine in my system, but reinstalling my card brings back the same issue again. Looks like I'll be starting an RMA tomorrow.

In almost 20 years of building my own systems, this is the first time I've had a graphics card go bad.

Where did you get it ? I've read reports of faked electronic parts for PCs sold on Amazon. An recent example in a magazine was about an older router which got even re-labelled.

That's amazon europe with fake or broken electronics. And I'm confirming it happened twice on me - first time was shame on them, second was shame on me. I do not buy electronics from amazon any more, there are numerous online shops that didn't try to scam me.

That aside. He doesn't live in europe.

How did you discover that those were fakes joxer?

Easily. Both gadgets were pisspoor pieces of shit and didn't work as expected. On driver installation you notice it's a driver for inferior chip, not for the one that's supposed to be inside the gadget. In other words you pay for quality and receive almost a dud. It does work, sure, but with horribly low efficiency you'd pay 10 times less if you wanted such garbage in the first place. :)

Today it wouldn't be so easy to notice as win10 does driver installation behind scenes automatically… But sill. In my case it's no to electronics from amazon.
Note also that this doesn't happen with everything! You just need to be unlucky, seems there is absolutely no quality control on amazon's side. Not in europe.

You've been really lucky! My 6800 and 9800 both blew up on me. The worst part is they both got replaced with inferior cards that just wasted more money while trying to save it.

6800 got replaced with a 8600GTS which was cheap and absolutely rubbish. So much worse. Then the 9800 got replaced with a 560ti for a while but I replaced that with a 680 pretty quickly when I upgraded CPU to quadcore. The 680 was fantastic.

I remember thinking if only I'd gone for the 570 I could have kept the card going another year but the 560 just didn't have enough ram. Always go for the 70 or 80 and don't be tempted by the 60 version!

Back
Top Bottom