Cyberpunk 2077 - E3 Trailer

I like Keanu Reeves, but I hope his character isn't featured prominently throughout the game because I think I'd find that distracting. One or two side missions with him would be cool though.

Yeah, I liked Point Break and Bill and Ted (more than Waynes World) and Matrix (not but the sequels).

Point Break
Neverheard… :p
Bill and Ted
Don't you dare to die before watching both movies!
Waynes World
Meh.
Matrix (not but the sequels).
The first one rocks, sequels sukk.
I like Keanu Reeves, but I hope his character isn't featured prominently throughout the game because I think I'd find that distracting. One or two side missions with him would be cool though.
He is not playing himself but a certain character. If I understood everything correctly, all the main story missions post introduction will have him involved, sidequests won't. Thus, you shouldn't fastrun the game. :p

I like Keanu - I think he's a nice bloke. He also seems quite a thoughtful sort of chap. I don't think he's a great actor, by any means, but I think it works when he's doing one of his Keanu characters. I could imagine him working fine in Cyberpunk.

I have been thinking about this problem yesterday. In movies you have the problem that well known actors are known for their previous roles. Viewers may have problems to keep the roles seperated and thus may have difficulties to experience believable characters.
I'm not a cineaste but it was difficult for me with Patrick Stewart in as Professor X in X-Men (knowing him as Picard in Star Trek) and with Hugo Weaving as Elrond in LotR (knowing him as Agent Smith in Matrix).
People watching more movies and series than me (which isn't difficult) might experience this more often.

In video games we haven't had this problem until very recently because all the characters have been created and modeled from scratch or have only been inspired or voiced by actors. Now they're using "perfect" avatars of famous actors and we might get the same problems as in movies.

Also I don't think that inclusing famous actors is a good concept in the long run financially. Of course, you get a lot of good PR and might increase your sales. But competitors will do the same and the positive effect of higher sales disappears*. So all you'll ultimatley get is that production of game like this will get even more expensive.
And that without an actual artistic advantage.
Or will we have this high quality cafial mocap like Benedict Cumberbatch in The Hobbit or Andy Serkins in LotR in video games too? Are well known (and expensive) actors so much better in this than cheaper ones?

*Edit: On a seconds thought that's only true if the market doesn't grow. If the market grows it could still be positive for all competitors. So perhaps it's all about growing the video game market and stealing from the traditional movie/TV market.

In video games we haven't had this problem until very recently because all the characters have been created and modeled from scratch or have only been inspired or voiced by actors. Now they're using "perfect" avatars of famous actors and we might get the same problems as in movies.
They're using "perfect" avatars - now?

You didn't notice Miranda from Mass Effect (2&3) in Handmaid's Tale?
She nailed it. Both roles, ofc. :D
But Miranda isn't from now.

Additionally creating characters from scratch goes with the acting territory, videogames don't have to be involved yet the person can be unrecognizable visually:
https://www.ranker.com/list/helena-bonham-carter-role-transformations/eric-vega

Or will we have this high quality cafial mocap like Benedict Cumberbatch in The Hobbit or Andy Serkins in LotR in video games too? Are well known (and expensive) actors so much better in this than cheaper ones?

I don't think so. The idea of the movie star has always been more about marketing; about who can draw an audience. There's tons of talented actors out there we've never heard of. I always believe that actors should never be your problem - things go wrong in the writing and direction.

I think it would be quite possible to get excellent game performances from unknown actors. I like the idea of motion capture performances, as that lets them actually play the scenes, and gets away from that recording booth feeling.

Last edited:
They're using "perfect" avatars - now?

You didn't notice Miranda from Mass Effect (2&3) in Handmaid's Tale?
She nailed it. Both roles, ofc. :D
But Miranda isn't from now.
I remember her very well. ;)
But the actress she's been modeled after was (and is?) not very well known. So the problem doesn't apply.

Was not "superstar" at the time. She used to get roles only in cheap aussie productions. But her career went upwards after ME2 role - she apparently appeared in two overhyped mainstream praising mundanity shows I refused to watch and have no regrets (Chuck, Dexter).
The question is would EA pay her to reprise the Miranda role today. She's not as cheap any more. Then again, they wouldn't pay Keanu either. ;)

Back
Top Bottom