Skyrim Let's talk about those tough enemy mages...

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
D

Deleted User

Are they too powerful? I'm talking about the ones who use frost or electricity and fry you in 2 hits. Even the fire mages use a fireball that can easily take you out. Has anyone fought a Fire Wizard yet? Talk about tough. You better have some potions handy for that fight.

Can the player use the same spells to the same effect as the enemy mages do? Would ranking up your destruction with perks achieve the same effect? Is the explanation for why these mages are so powerful, because they too have high skill in destruction magic? Does it make sense to you that they are as powerful as they are?

I guess I can understand why they're so powerful. They're professional mages after all, and they must have perks in their destruction skill. They also could be using potions to bolster their skills. That said, it's still somewhat frustrating to have to reload a saved game 3 times before finally beating a simple Forsworn Pillager who was killing me in 2 shots with a frost spell.

Your thoughts?

Well playing as a mage myself and encountering all sorts of mage opponents I am not capable of killing them with easy 1 on 1,yes they are strong with lvl scaling but I find them easier to beat now then back then even at master difficulty, even if my spells don't hit that strong as theirs. Keep trying until you are able to make a tactic with a skills your character posses since unlike you they have artificial intelligence.

For magic resist.

There is there temple of mara quests(very easy quests) in Riften i believe that give you +15 magic resist.

Wait until you meet your first hargraven. Yikes! Almost had to give her a pass, but she died like all the others… :p

But seriously, keep all the best elemental resist gear you find for cases like this. I also bought some from shops, since my character is not doing any enchanting. Spend a lot of my loot money since I don't enchant or brew potions.

I didn't find them too bad with my spellsword character, honestly. That was probably because my shock spells drained their mana though. Now that I am an archer I wonder if they will be tougher.

Wait until you meet your first hargraven. Yikes! Almost had to give her a pass, but she died like all the others… :p

If you go West right away and run into those bitches at a low level they are impossible.

Which is awesome.

They did seem to be unfairly tough early on, but they don't seem quite as bad now. Of course, it's been a few levels since I went into a heavy mage zone.

Keep an eye out for them using wards, too. They love using wards. Like Doc Narrative said, shock spells are your best bet. Don't be afraid to slap them around with a well-placed Shout, either.

My 11th level archer/one-handed/illusionist/thief had to use poisons, potion guzzling, and the hithskin racial power to take her out with my trusty archer companion, of course.

Dragon battles are also similarly potion guzzling affairs for me.

I must say, that this game is now excellently balanced for my build on adept settings. First it was too easy, but now, trying to take on the hardest enemies, it is barely doable with perfect tactics (and no running away or kiting) after a few retries (many in some cases, think Wisp Mothers). :p

I've kept my archery/illusion/one-handed skills equally developed. Sneak and lockpick are much higher though, and harder to control.

I like this level of challenge where I can take down almost anything, but it's an extreme challenge to do so.

Qualification, I've stayed away from Falmer lairs for now. They might just now be doable. May try one out tonight. :)

The only mage that's given me pause was someone named Kronis or something like that, he dropped a decent face mask I think it was. He was kinda uber, never saw a mage take four of my arrows before....but the fourth blew him right outta his boots -)). Get a decent bow, enchant that thing up, and even dragons flinch when you pull back!

-Carn

Get a decent bow, enchant that thing up, and even dragons flinch when you pull back!

I found a dwarven bow of burning recently which seems to be a one hit wonder on bandits. ;)

But dragons, we'll see. Methinks they are immune to fire, but perhaps not the cold breathing ones (or do they breath lightning?). Whatever it was, its breath was blue/white and made things burn. :/

I find liches the most dangerous enemies in the game - they seem to have the armor and health of a solid tank, but the spell casting of a squishy mage. Luckily, there are only a few such liches in the game.

I lost Lydia - I'm pretty sure a strong mage killed her in the Saarthal quest.

I lost Lydia - I'm pretty sure a strong mage killed her in the Saarthal quest.

I lose her all the time and then I revert to a previous save. Chain lightning for some reason hits her too if she goes near mobs. Bad thing, really bad thing, y'hear Bethesda?

And so far I had no serious problems with enemy mages. Instead of using spells against them that are usually contered by wards, I use a simple nonenchanted ebony mace in one hand, while in another hand I have a prepared restoration spell.

I had that problem with fireballs, Lydia was dying all the time, I pretty much gave up using magic close up.

Daniel.

I've managed to slow-motion kill her quite a few times while moving in to stab a fallen foe. Somehow it's easier to reach through the enemy and grab my friend than it is to, you know, just swing my sword at the wounded guy. Once I even reached through a dragon and grabbed her to run her through. :p

To quote Elders Scrolls Wiki: "The biggest danger to a companion is actually the player. Companions are vulnerable to friendly fire, meaning you can easily kill them on accident, especially when they get between you and a monster. While having a companion can make many battles easier, it requires you to be more careful when attacking to avoid hitting them on accident."

I like the idea of Lydia (companions in general, she's the only one I've found so far) but in practice she can get out of hand. Often a battle will start, and while I'm busy fighting she'll run off up a flight of stairs or something and start fighting enemies I haven't seen yet... Hell, I haven't even seen the flight of stairs yet...

I'll hear her fighting while I try to find her. Usually she ends up killing whatever it is and just coming back. Seems like her AI is a little too touchy. But she hasn't died once on me.

Companion AI's still a bit lacking. Lydia seems to swap weapons pretty well, but I do find myself shouting for her to get the hell out of my way an awful lot, both in combat and in general. You'd think it'd be fairly easy for an NPC to move aside when you're pushing against them at the very least. Even worse, there's a quest-companion who, probably thanks to odd body shape, constantly pushes you around when you're standing still. That makes interacting with things or talking to people quite fun!

Back
Top Bottom