Divinity II: FoV - International Reviews

A shame I have to wait so long to get my hands on the 360 version. I'm really looking forward to it!

Those who played it, is Divinity II linear or free-roaming? More like Jade Empire/KOTOR with closed areas, or more like Gothic in "go wherever you like unless monsters eat you"?

@JemnyM
look here

FoV is free-roaming, but your are limited to the city of Aleroth. So "free roaming" means wandering through a city and not wandering through a greater area.

@JemnyM
look here

FoV is free-roaming, but your are limited to the city of Aleroth. So "free roaming" means wandering through a city and not wandering through a greater area.

Yup, but what about Divinity II?

Divinity II is a free roaming game (at least in the first part). The first part feels like Gothic. The second part (you can fly in your dragon form then) is more linear - you can't go back to many areas of the first part in the second part of the game.

Divinity II is a free roaming game (at least in the first part). The first part feels like Gothic. The second part (you can fly in your dragon form then) is more linear - you can't go back to many areas of the first part in the second part of the game.

Good to know. Actually Gothic and Risen also became somewhat more linear after the first chapters.

Basically, Div 2 has chapters during which you are locked in a certain zone. The zones are somewhat big, but should not be compared to Gothic or Risen - you never get the same freedom, nor are there as many interesting places/people to find.

Still, it's worth a shot for people that enjoy such games (I enjoyed Div 2 a lot).

Still, it's worth a shot for people that enjoy such games (I enjoyed Div 2 a lot).

It's in my to-play list, but I might not have time to play it until December or June. I do not think I can play games that takes 40-60 hours to finish while studying.

Sounds like you have more than one game on that to-play list. I wouldn't make it a top priority; there are better games out there. Of course, it depends on the to-play list in question.

Sounds like you have more than one game on that to-play list. I wouldn't make it a top priority; there are better games out there. Of course, it depends on the to-play list in question.

The 50 hours plus list includes Divinity II, Drakensang, Final Fantasy XIII and Witcher right now. The rest of the titles I have in the pile are easily digested games for the weekends.

Been thinking about getting Divinity II but it seems that just like Risen the whole game isnt that good, it's just partially good or good up to a point. I don't want to have that experience again so soon after Risen.

Risen is good longer than Div 2 in my opinion. Risen pretty much only has a bad ending (last 10-20% or so), the rest is great.

Hmm, not to be pedantic - but while I think Risen is superior when it's good, it's NOT just 10-20% that's "bad".

In my experience, it was more like 30-40%.

That said, Divinity 2 was never as good as Risen - but it's also a very different approach to NPCs and the world isn't alive like only PB can make it.

I was referring to the ending, which shouldn't last more than a few hours if you chop down the lizards at a decent pace. Let's say Risen lasts 40 hours, you should not be spending the final 10-15 chopping down lizards.

I was referring to the ending, which shouldn't last more than a few hours if you chop down the lizards at a decent pace. Let's say Risen lasts 40 hours, you should not be spending the final 10-15 chopping down lizards.

Nevertheless, that's what I remember doing ;)

Mostly, though, I'm referring to the endless samey dungeons towards the final 1/3 of the game. Actually, though I sometimes forget these things - it felt more like the final half of the game.

I never really got comfortable with the Lizard fights… Maybe I sucked at melee :)

That, or maybe you forgot what it was like the first time you played? I suppose you pick up a few things when replaying the same game 3-4 times ;)

I suspect it's the other way around; it's easy to remember the ending as a long, tiresome experience due to how boring it was. In reality it doesn't really take that long. Even all of chapter 3 and 4 (not just counting the dungeons, but including quests outside, exploration etc) is nowhere near as long as 1 and 2.

I suspect it's the other way around; it's easy to remember the ending as a long, tiresome experience due to how boring it was. In reality it doesn't really take that long. Even all of chapter 3 and 4 (not just counting the dungeons, but including quests outside, exploration etc) is nowhere near as long as 1 and 2.

Well, I can't be too sure.

Guess I'll find out when I replay it eventually ;)

Maybe as a warm up to Risen 2, once we know of a release date! Possibly the nr. 1 game on my most wanted list.

Back
Top Bottom