Avadon - iPad Review @ Touch Arcade

aries100

SasqWatch
As we told you in this thread, Avadon was released for iPad. Now there's a review for Avadon at Touch Aracde. They like it. Some samples, first one about the story.
As with most of Vogel's games, the writing in Avadon is well done and sprinkled with enough wit and humor that you don't feel oppressed by the seriousness of it all. Within a few hours you'll have a good grasp on the Avadon's structure, the religions, your fellow fighters and a number of the NPC groups. You'll also start getting the sneaking suspicion the Pact and Avadon aren't all they're cracked up to be.
Then about how the games translation from pc to iPad went:
The translation to iPad is relatively fluid. I had a few crashes and memory errors while playing, but nothing that set me back too much. The touch screen works well for this type game, although you'll occasionally accidently move your characters around when you mean to fight because you'll tap on the wrong part of the grid. The item screen, as mentioned earlier, is a bit unwieldy with a touch screen and requires an excessive number of taps to get to business, but you'll get used to it.
And lastly, a snip from the conclusion:
Avadon: The Black Fortress HD might take a little while to sink in, but if you get enmeshed in the narrative and the world, it's hard to walk away from it. It's been a long while since I accidently stayed up all night with a game, but Avadon managed to do that without even bothering with fancy visuals or voiced dialogue.
More information.

It is nice to see places like TouchArcade and iPadModo reviewing this, though you can tell these guys are already fans from the PC. I will be interested to see the take from someone who has never touched a Spiderweb game.

Last edited:
Yes, it's a Spiderweb game. I've messed around with them in the past and played one of the Avernum's pretty far through. But was never really that compelled by them.

Playing on an iPad seems perfect for this though. I'm sure I'll be playing this on future airplane flights and in airport lounges.

Hope this sells like crazy.

Jeff hinted in forum posts that the sales numbers on iPad are looking very good so far, and future games will also be ported.

Since he's working on remakes of his old titles it's possible they'll also land on the iPad in the years to come. I wouldn't expect more than 1 per year though.

Until now, at least, these were often an inclusive, old-schooler affair.
I'm sorry, that made me laugh.

Since he's working on remakes of his old titles it's possible they'll also land on the iPad in the years to come. I wouldn't expect more than 1 per year though.

He actually says in his latest blog post (Bottom Feeder) that his re-do of Avernum 1 will also come to iPad, which makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom