Wasteland 2 - Opening Movie Released

Yeah, I was little surprised at first, but then realized that the B-movie/Mad max feeling was probably intentional. I think the narrator is SUPPOSED to be at bit over the top, it fits in nice with Wastelands humour, as in don't take it too seriously.

I'm not a big fan of humor in games unless it's used sparingly or "all the way".

This confusing style of a wasteland full of cannibals and retarded looking bearded guys just doesn't do it for me, sorry :)

As for the game itself, the more I play it - the less impressive it gets. I don't know how it evolves at length, but - so far - it's middling at best.

I would have chosen something simpler, like images with narration and minimal animation. This looks awkward and amateur-hour.

This.

Anyway, I've been playing the beta the last few days and it's great! Lots of little bugs to squash, and a few more features to add (including the other half of the areas) but I think folks will really enjoy it when it's released.

I didn't care for the FMV. I think it's hard for FMV scenes to look anything but cheesy in video games. It reminded me of the video that accompanied Demonsgate from the 90's and the old FMV cutscenes from that era in other games-- all of which were bad. I would very much preferred an intro like the Fallouts. But had they played music from The Ink Spots or Louis Armstrong or something else from that time there would have been just as many criticisms.

Doesn't matter, I'm still going to buy this in August.

It was cheesy, but I think it was the point.

They probably should have added some filters to make it look like those 90s grainy FMV games.

I was a little surprised to see the familiar Nuke-Footage, followed by real actors.
Wasn't bad but did not give me the atmospheric kick as their radio transmissions did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1Bh8o7uEBQ

The biggest flaw indeed was the dub of Vargas which didn't quite fit.

I liked it a lot. The narrator isn't Ron Perlman, but then again this isn't Fallout. The live action stuff was a bold choice, but they pulled it off nicely in my opinion. It's not supposed to look like a ten million dollar movie, for christ's sake. Nuka break quality is good enough for me. Infinitely better choice, than generic poorly animated cgi (Like the burial scene in Fallout New Vegas intro for example) would have been.

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of humor in games unless it's used sparingly or "all the way".

This confusing style of a wasteland full of cannibals and retarded looking bearded guys just doesn't do it for me, sorry :)

As for the game itself, the more I play it - the less impressive it gets. I don't know how it evolves at length, but - so far - it's middling at best.

I bet you're the life and soul of any party… NOT ;)

Completely the opposite for me, it's like a breath of fresh air in this console mad world. Lighten up and be grateful people like Brian Fargo are still batting for us.

It's a decent video and does its job. I liked it better on the second play-through for some reason. The wild raider at 1:28 is especially good.

It was OK. I'm OK with the video but didn't like the narration. Far from the worst I've heard. His voice is fine but the tone is wrong. Could have used some direction there. As others have said, it's no Fallout intro. Personally, I would prefer still art with a better-written script, but I thought the video was fine.

Really, this is unimportant and not how I will be judging the game. I've been staying away from the beta and still am looking forward to its full release.

Looks like a fan based movie. A simple intro with fixed backgrounds would have been great for this kind of budget. The "movie" just kills the artmosphere of the game.
And now, I don't know what to think about the game.

If the game is good I will forget about the intro 15 min after I start playing anyway, so this will be fine.

Kind of a corny video, but I guess that's the style the are aiming for. The fallout games' style were pretty corny as well.

Back
Top Bottom