StarCrawlers - Released

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The sci-fi dungeon crawler StarCrawlers has been released on Steam and GOG:

Crawlers Wanted: high pay, certain risk. Plausible deniability a must.

Build a crew of renegade adventurers on the fringes of space, taking jobs from megacorps to hunt bounties, sabotage rivals and conduct corporate espionage. If you can navigate the intricate politics of wealth and power, you might just survive long enough to spend your hard-won credits.

You’re a Crawler, and that means you work for those that can pay. Asset recovery, commercial espionage, and mayhem for hire are just a few of your crew’s specialized services. If something shady needs doing, chances are a Crawler will be involved. Succeed and you’ll be rewarded with better pay then any corp drone can dream of. Plus, you'll earn the respect of the eclectic assortment of merchants, opportunists and adventurers who make their home in the fringes of space.

Key Features:

• Wage strategic battles against futuristic enemies with an innovative time unit turn-based combat system.
  • Procedurally-generated dungeons and events create endless replayability.
  • Choose your allies and your foes wisely. Your choices will change how the story unfolds.
  • Eight player classes each with unique abilities, both in combat and when exploring.
  • Randomly generated weapons, armor and gear with upgradeable enhancements.
  • Easy to Hardcore difficulty modes and optional permadeath.
More information.

I already very much enjoyed it a month before release.

Very good turn-based dungeon crawling with many chars and skill trees to try and find synergy.
Side missions are generated randomly can get repetetive (but still fun).
Story missions always have some special draw that makes them unique.

A question: What is the secret mechanism they hinted at?

I already very much enjoyed it a month before release.

Very good turn-based dungeon crawling with many chars and skill trees to try and find synergy.
Side missions are generated randomly can get repetetive (but still fun).
Story missions always have some special draw that makes them unique.

A question: What is the secret mechanism they hinted at?

I played few hours today but i still have to understand that...

For those of us who prefer story-based, non-procedural games, but love this *type* of game (party-based, turn-based), is the story strong enough to carry the game? Does the procedural stuff get in the way of the story? Are the story missions properly scripted, or do they rely on procedural as well?

For those of us who prefer story-based, non-procedural games, but love this *type* of game (party-based, turn-based), is the story strong enough to carry the game? Does the procedural stuff get in the way of the story? Are the story missions properly scripted, or do they rely on procedural as well?

The story missions have special encounters and secrets and the like and throws some curve balls at you regarding who you choose to back and the consequences there of which can appear mid mission. Procedural content has side bosses, dossiers, and company secrets you can find and decide what to do with them.

The procedural stuff is additive and doesn't effect the story being told but will effect your relations with different corps at times depending on your choices.

Are the levels procedurally generated in the main story missions as well or is that just for the sidequests?

This one was on my radar, in part just because the early access reviews were so good. I had forgotten about it for awhile though, I'll have to check it out now when I have a chance.

I'm a few hours in and enjoying it a lot so far. The music provides nice atmosphere and the Wizardy-style combat and movement seems great so far. I immediately flipped the default "look anywhere" movement style to the old school step-based movement that I'm used to.

There's more story than I'm accustomed to seeing with these types of games, in a good way. I also like the classes, especially the Smuggler, who is your basic Han Solo archetype complete with a skill called "Shoot First".

Can't think of any real negatives at this point. Having a few snippets of dialogue voiced might've been nice, but really unnecessary as the writing so far is fairly well-done.

Also, the price is right with a current sale price on Steam of must 14.99. For that money, it's really a bit of no-brainer, as they game seems of good quality so far.

I'm a few hours in and enjoying it a lot so far. The music provides nice atmosphere and the Wizardy-style combat and movement seems great so far. I immediately flipped the default "look anywhere" movement style to the old school step-based movement that I'm used to.

There's more story than I'm accustomed to seeing with these types of games, in a good way. I also like the classes, especially the Smuggler, who is your basic Han Solo archetype complete with a skill called "Shoot First".

Can't think of any real negatives at this point. Having a few snippets of dialogue voiced might've been nice, but really unnecessary as the writing so far is fairly well-done.

Also, the price is right with a current sale price on Steam of must 14.99. For that money, it's really a bit of no-brainer, as they game seems of good quality so far.

More story? Music to my ears. Going to have to check this again.

Bought this yesterday. Seems new and fresh so far, but really dislike the control scheme; they've combined grid-based movement with freeform mouse control for searching. The combination feels awkward. Also, the UI is clearly made with tablets in mind, so that's another negative.

Still, enjoying it thus far. The different class abilities are fun.

Bought this yesterday. Seems new and fresh so far, but really dislike the control scheme; they've combined grid-based movement with freeform mouse control for searching. The combination feels awkward. Also, the UI is clearly made with tablets in mind, so that's another negative.

Still, enjoying it thus far. The different class abilities are fun.

Wait, does that mean it's available for Tablets or Phones?

These classes/skills are so creative, loving it. There's also an immense faction system; not sure how important it will be, but so far having a blast.

For those of us who prefer story-based, non-procedural games, but love this *type* of game (party-based, turn-based), is the story strong enough to carry the game?
I'm the type of person who doesn't care at all about the story in this type of game, and Star Crawlers is the single dullest computer game I've ever played. The only reason I didn't get a refund is I couldn't save in the middle of a level and got up to run some errands and therefore exceeded the two hour window.

I would gift it to you if that was possible and we were enemies.

Played it briefly and I was pleasantly surprised.

The first thing I did was to disable "always free look" - as that felt awful to me.

I love the Privateer/Freelancer approach to picking missions and talking to NPCs. It gives a more freeform feel.

But the real surprise is the depth of the skill trees. Very nice stuff there - which I can definitely see myself experimenting with a bunch. Combat feels fluid and fast - though I fear it will get repetitive.

Some people are talking about a lack of enemy variety, which would be a big issue - seeing as they seem rather similar in appearance so far.

Also, based on a couple of missions - it's not big on atmosphere and can't hold a candle to something like Grimrock in terms of visual appeal. But it does the sci-fi thing ok and I do love me some sci-fi.

But, overall, I'm really liking it. Not sure when I'll have the time to really delve into it - but for 15 bucks, it's a no brainer for people into the genre.

Back
Top Bottom