What games are you playing now?

I thought the areas were well done and the writing was ok but the combat kind of became boring after a bit. The game (esp at lower levels) have a glass canon effect so you have to sort of micro-manage a lot in some of the fights and i didn't much enjoy that aspect. It isn't really tactical it just requires that you pay attention and micro-step it at times to make sure you do the right thing at the right time (mostly heal). I prefer a game with a bit more tactic and a bit less of the glass canon effect.

Is it really that good as it never interested me even after reading various impressions?

Started AC Odyssey last night, not for very long because the game complained I should upgrade my video card drivers and it was late.

First surprise, stealing is actually a thing. I wasn't expecting that. But why are people dumping drachma into urns or leaving their purse behind randomly and still get upset if someone pick those up? I'm just trying to return their stuff…I swear.

Also, the controls are a bit different from Origins, now my muscles memory is all screwy again. Although, it feels somewhat better to use.

I need to adjust some settings though, the cutscenes are choppy but it runs fine when not in cutscenes.

The new Mame Gaming League tournament started a few weeks back, so I've been playing some of these over the Easter break:

1) Space Zap (An unusual Midway fixed shooter from 1980; quite simple and plays like a basic reflex test. May have been overshadowed by a certain game called Pacman which came out at a similar time.)
2) Elevator Action (Wacky spy platformer fun from '83 with lots of trap setting/chasing hijinks.)
3) Time Pilot (Konami sh'mup from 1982. I'm struggling to hit much more than 150 k, but there are some leeching strategies to explore via the parachute hunting.)

RPG wise I haven't really indulged in very much lately. However, I did take my first look at Path of Exile recently after craving some character building in the Diablo II tradition. I'm about half way through Act II with a Marauder and must say that the options for character build depth is most impressive. I also like the music quite a bit; much more than what was on offer in Diablo III. The siren level in the prison even had a touch of Dark Souls II about it. I thought I'd find the lack of gold demotivating but the game has other ways to remain interesting. Item stacking, skill raising and the nexus for instance. There has also been choices in a couple of quests which is unusual for a game of this type. At this point my impressions of it overall are positive; even if the Warden boss was just a touch too heavily inspired by the Butcher. I'll try and beat it with at least one character at any rate.

My backlog needs some cleaning. Spent weekend with NMS.

Wasn't planned, but JDR then a bugger who was trying to persuade me for over half a year to start (it was rotting on my SSD all that time) and… Well...

Nothing interesting in the backlog and in the future, so used a token and restarted world of warcraft.

I haven't played NMS either and want to give it a go. @JDR13; and I sometimes like the same types of stuff; especially hybrid type games.

I never played World of Warcraft either, but I'm not sure I could tolerate the graphics. A game has to be almost 100% pure fantasy crpg for me to tolerate lower graphic standards. I have played Path of Exile, Diablo III, Grim Dawn, etc. but I'm not sure how close graphically WoW matches up. Also, not sure how viable solo play is. I don't group much if at all.

Just like in most mmos, excepting dungeons and raids, 99% else is doable solo. They added quite a few effects in the last years and dx12 too, and looks enjoyable now with reshade. You can try it for free til level 20.

Lately I've been enjoying Sekiro.

I'm not typically a Dark Souls fan. In fact, the only one I've ever played is Dark Souls 3, and I thought it was above average, so it's a little unusual I'd jump into another FromSoftware game.

For whatever reason, though, I'm really enjoying Sekiro. The parry system is a blast. In fact I adore it, much more than I expected to. The game gives you a ton of tools to handle each situation as well, so I never feel like I'm handicapped enough to make the game unbearable.

I think I'm decent at difficult games, as I don't tend to struggle nearly as much with them as others.

I think I'm also appreciating that it's entirely a single player game. There's no invading, so I don't have to worry about someone interrupting my progress. I understand the appeal, but Sekiro has been keeping me incredibly immersed and I'd like to maintain that.

I've had it for almost two weeks but have barely managed to sink 17 hours into it. There's simply not enough time in a day.

I haven't played NMS either and want to give it a go. @JDR13; and I sometimes like the same types of stuff; especially hybrid type games.
It's not a hybrid really but a logical step up from Privateer games (and Freelancer). It will remind you on Spore's endgame, but it's not as boring as Spore.
There is a main story and a subset of sidestories plus random missions, different spaceships and economy (crafting/trading) involved just as in Privateer, but this time planets are fully explorable with added base construction and terrain changing tools as in Sims games (okay not as in Sims 4 where you can't have a car, in NMS you can have your personal yet pretty useless Mako! :)), farming as in Stardew Valley and environment hazards as in any survival game.

Neverheard about Privateer? Doesn't matter. What I need to say is that I'm still on NMS, I have no idea how the game played initially (apparently it was junk before a few patches), but after cca 20ish hours in I have to admit it's fun.

What saves the day? Survival parts in NMS don't read "torture ahead". You won't starve to death unless your brain has problems (medically), all you need is oxygen, thankfully plants to suck it out from grew everywhere so you just "loot" it. Or, make a farm with these. Or, there is an oxygen generator that filters it from atmosphere machine so build it. Or simply buy it from traders.

Of course that's not everything but I'm saying it's not like indie random generated crap where unbeatable trashmobs are thrown on your head after 10 minutes of playing.
The random generator is the core part of NMS, but unlike overrated games like FTL, here developers limited it based on your progress. For example, you won't receive a gulid/species mission for a system in galaxy your current hyperdrive cannot reach. Your pisspoor starting ship will never get swarmed by impossible to destroy pirates, you will meet some harder ones when you get a better (and equipped) ship.

Not everything is great though, the game is full of outdated consoley designs which could annoy you, but for some stuff there is a solution (without mods!).
I'll open a tips and hints thread for this game later (unless one already exists).

I'm bouncing between the Great Gaias and Infinite Adventures right now. With the Great Gaias, I'm running around trying to locate all the additional character side quests before going to the final area, or at least what I think is the last spot. Infinite Adventures is a pure joy, really fine dungeon crawler and tough!!! These two games will likely feature highly on my favourites of the year.

I've been playing Monster Hunter World a lot. It was a good fun for a while but now it's getting stale. I got to a stage where I'm hunting tougher monsters and it's stupid that this ridiculously powerful monster keeps flying in wherever you are (even underground!) and bomb the crap out of place then leaves and only to come back after few minutes - apparently it's a game design. I can't do anything for long in peace, must watch out for this flying bombing machine every few minutes. Yes, I get that I'm at tougher stage of the game but when this happens all the time it just gets super annoying, not challenging :/

Does it come back if you kill it ?

I've been playing Monster Hunter World a lot. It was a good fun for a while but now it's getting stale. I got to a stage where I'm hunting tougher monsters and it's stupid that this ridiculously powerful monster keeps flying in wherever you are (even underground!) and bomb the crap out of place then leaves and only to come back after few minutes - apparently it's a game design. I can't do anything for long in peace, must watch out for this flying bombing machine every few minutes. Yes, I get that I'm at tougher stage of the game but when this happens all the time it just gets super annoying, not challenging :/

Currently playing:

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - 40 hours in and it looks like I'll finish this one as I'm quite enjoying it, so I'll save the paragraphs for when I complete it.

Tyranny: 3 hours in and it's not hooked me yet, but it hasn't put me off either. I'm hoping I'll get into it when it finally decides to allow me to get going, though I'm still perched on that fence. Will paragraph about it at some point no doubt either way.

Does it come back if you kill it ?

Monsters respawn every time you start a new mission, so yes :(

And it is one of the toughest monsters out there so its more likely I will get killed by it instead of me killing it.

Glad to hear you started warming to it!

I was pretty obsessed with it for a while but I haven't played for a few months. I was actually just thinking about coming back tonight to check out this spring event!

When they first introduce that Beatlejuice bombing guy he shows up more often because it's his moment. What you can do is sling Dung at him and it will scare him away. You can also change targets to him and attack him until he runs away. Maybe you can get the two monsters to fight eachother until one runs.

His materials are probably very useful to you. His armour gives you the Earplugs skill which makes you immune to roars and with 3 parts you get the Guts skill which is like cheat death. Instead of die you're left on 1HP (once per hunt).

The materials also upgrade the 30,000$ trinket you can buy in town from the provisions guy. You get a bonus for holding these trinkets in your inventory. Lose space, gain stats. The beatlejuice materials will upgrade one of the trinkets THEN you can buy it again because the upgraded version stacks with the original one. You end up losing 4 units of inventory space but it's just your consumables bag and not your hidden materials bag.

Let's hunt together! I'll help you with Beatlejuice? Maybe do a few Spring events? =)

finished lamplight city... highly recommended

I've just finished the steampunk-victorian detective adventure lamplight city..... Highly recommended for its atmosphere and plot.... If you are into adventures besides RPGs..... I suggest you try it..

I am playing Risen 3 and I have to say it's probably one of the least enjoyable PB games I have played.
I feel like I am just being given 500 missions and I could kill everything from the first hour by rolling around and having my companion attacking the enemies.

Combat is boring as hell and I feel I am just going through the motions. Treasure chests have nothing interesting in them... I am not sure I will finish this one.

I feel like it's worse than Risen 2.

Let's hunt together! I'll help you with Beatlejuice? Maybe do a few Spring events? =)

I don't think he is required to progress the story right? Now I am struggling with Nergigante lol. Getting one shot by his dive bomb. I need more armour!

Imperator: Rome and enjoying it quite well despite it's lukewarm reviews.

Back
Top Bottom