Fallout 3 - Teaser Soon...

I'm also quite certain that a team that is capable of producing a worthy sequel to the FO franchise in isometric/S.P.E.C.I.A.L. is capable of producing it in any other format that they understand well enough. What I'm not so sure about... OK, make that highly skeptical about, is whether Bethsoft is that team.
Quoted for truth ...

I'm probably the only dissenting voice here but I felt the teaser to be pretty forgettable. It's a fair enough collage of instantly recognizable Fallout features - but that's not very different from what we usually see in fan art and Fallout mods.

Now it's back to sleep until gameplay info hits the streets.

That was first-gen armor.
Is this game going to be Fallout Zero? Or maybe a rehash of Fallout 1?
I was hoping to continue the story, not relive it.

Well, I liked it for what it was. Simple as that.

I liked the homage to Fallout and enjoyed the apparent atmosphere but obviously it tells me nothing about the gameplay.

But at least this bit is generally on the right track.

We alrady know it will look good, that's one hting Bethesda does right. The problem is they have zero interest in making challenging games anymore. I have no doubt that they will continue the trend of making their games easier and more "accessable".

Yea I know Fallout 3 will be pretty. What I didn't expect was for them to get the Look and Feel/Mood right. Even in just a teaser. That was my point.

I still have no hope whatsoever on Bethesda making a Fallout 3 I will like or play. I just was pleasantly surprised with the trailer.

I'm a bit puzzled that the community is still even considering the possibility that it'd be isometric. I thought it was pretty clear from the start that it'd be 1st/3d person.

I'm not saying that I have any idea what kind of view that it's going to use, personally I really don't care. I think a Fallout 3 could potentially be great regardless of what view is used. I'm just not sure how anyone could think that it was clear from the start that it would be 1st/3rd person as Bethesda has given no indication whatsoever on the view it's going to use.

I'm not saying that I have any idea what kind of view that it's going to use, personally I really don't care. I think a Fallout 3 could potentially be great regardless of what view is used. I'm just not sure how anyone could think that it was clear from the start that it would be 1st/3rd person as Bethesda has given no indication whatsoever on the view it's going to use.

But if it was 1st person, it would be be realtime. And since it would be set in a post apocalyptic environment, it would become S.T.A.L.K.E.R basically. Not necessarily bad, but masssively deviating from the Fallout series. Not something most fans want, I believe.

Fallout has always been combat heavy and turn-based. Changing those basic elements will alienate fans. But it might attract FPS fans, if those are whom Bethesda is targetting (pun not intended). There are probably more FPS fans than turn-based fans. *shrugs*

I thought the trailer was interesting. Not as orgasm-inducing as it seems to be on the Bethesda forums. I mean seriously, they must have paid shills or something. :lol:

But if it was 1st person, it would be be realtime. And since it would be set in a post apocalyptic environment, it would become S.T.A.L.K.E.R basically. Not necessarily bad, but masssively deviating from the Fallout series. Not something most fans want, I believe.

I think you are making a pretty big assumption that 1st Person = FPS. In the early 80's to 90's most cRPGs were first person.

I already know I'll be lined up to buy this one the day it comes out regardless.

The trailer is cause for optimism, IMO, because it proves the designers clearly have a grasp of the 'mood' of the Fallout universe. I just hope combat, richness of detail and the humor make it into the final game.

And I know times have changed, but one of the best things about the Fallout games were the manuals. It would be nice to see something similar.

Last edited:
Ok they caught the 'mood' of the game. I'm happy about that.

I don't care about the view of the game as long as it has a great story. NOT an Oblivion hollow NPC mess with a sandbox, but a Fallout story where you actually care about the NPCs and Nameless one.

I think you are making a pretty big assumption that 1st Person = FPS. In the early 80's to 90's most cRPGs were first person.

Wait, I'm confused. If it's in first-person perspective and involves weapons, is it not an FPS?

Not trying to sound condescending, it's a genuinely sincere question...

I pretty much agree with Dhruin:
OK, we've watched the teaser, seen the Power Armour and listened to the Ink Spots, Ron Pearlman and still learned nothing.

This trailer doesn't say a bit except some background formalia. But I didn't expect that it would either. Until more news is given I'm taking a neutral standpoint.

A full year of promotion for a 2008 release? Whoever would have guessed.

Perhaps they haven't said it in completely clear, unambiguous terms -- but answering "we're going to stick to doing what we know best" to the question is clear enough that it only leaves room for wishful thinking.

Wait, I'm confused. If it's in first-person perspective and involves weapons, is it not an FPS?

Not trying to sound condescending, it's a genuinely sincere question...

Ever play the early Might & Magics? I managed to wade through M&M III. That was first-person, involved weapons, and was turn- and stat-based. (Wizardry too, for that matter.) They weren't even 3D.

It's still totally obvious that FO3 will be 1st/3d person real-time; an action RPG with gameplay much like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. if we're lucky. What we don't know is how deep the writing and RPG elements are going to be; that's what will make or break the game -- and what I'm most skeptical about. The trailer sets a pretty nice baseline for the atmosphere -- but we still don't know if it'll be genuinely fresh or just pastiche.

Ever play the early Might & Magics? I managed to wade through M&M III. That was first-person, involved weapons, and was turn- and stat-based. (Wizardry too, for that matter.) They weren't even 3D.

It's still totally obvious that FO3 will be 1st/3d person real-time; an action RPG with gameplay much like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. if we're lucky. What we don't know is how deep the writing and RPG elements are going to be; that's what will make or break the game -- and what I'm most skeptical about. The trailer sets a pretty nice baseline for the atmosphere -- but we still don't know if it'll be genuinely fresh or just pastiche.

Ah, I see. I've played Wizardy before and now I remember the turn-based combat in 1st-person. Sorry, I've never really played old CRPGs much. :)

Exactly, think Wizardry 8. Wouldn't it be great to have Wizardy 8-style gameplay (with less and faster combat) with great graphics in the Fallout universe? :D Or did I commit blasphemy just now?

It's still totally obvious that FO3 will be 1st/3d person real-time; an action RPG with gameplay much like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. if we're lucky.

Another Psychic. Totally obvious despite the fact they have released no design information!!!!

If I had to hazard a guess - I think we might be getting a 3rd person (possibly switchable to 1st person) game with combat similar to Fallout tactics, i.e. click on who you want to attack except without the option for turn based combat. And if we are lucky they will even throw in the option for us to pause the game during combat.

I have to go with Prima Junta on this one. Looking at Bethesda's games list there is no indication of any experience with something even remotely resembling turn based functionality. Other than the Elder Scrolls series they've dabbled in many other genres (FPS, sports, manager and simulation games) but not a single turn based game.

With Zero TB experience but with a critically acclaimed block buster hit and the HUGE financial success that Oblivion is/was (sorry, you may bitch and moan all you like about how Oblivion is not a real RPG but in the corporate world a few disgruntled roleplaying fans here and there don't mean Jack when compared to the vast market that the casual gamer consists of) AND with the very well known brand that Fallout is, I wouldn't even go so far as to use the word "unlikely" that Bethesda is going to make such a huge gamble that making Fallout 3 as a TB game would be.

I wouldn't mind being pleasantly surprised by Bethesda, but I really REALLY don't think there is ANY chance in heck of them attempting to do anything other than "stick to doing what we know best" as Prima Junta already quoted earlier.

Back
Top Bottom