Owlcat Games - Next Game Starfinder?

Seriously why the disdain for cinematic, 1st/3rd person action RPGs? Some of the best RPGs have been those. I guess most of you hate Witcher III and Cyberpunk 2077 then?

Guess you can lump all of Piranha Bytes and BioWare games in that category as well.
Haven't played Cyberpunk 2077 (waiting until it's completely finished). Witcher 3 was a good game, but if you're asking me, that style of game just isn't nearly as enjoyable as a good party-based TB/RTWP game. Same thoughts go towards the newer BioWare games. I never enjoyed any PB games.

… god damnit. I'm going to yell at them if it is.
Well I wont as I enjoy 3rd person Action RPGs.

At least it isn't another turn-based RPG.:p
Haven't played Cyberpunk 2077 (waiting until it's completely finished). Witcher 3 was a good game, but if you're asking me, that style of game just isn't nearly as enjoyable as a good party-based TB/RTWP game. Same thoughts go towards the newer BioWare games. I never enjoyed any PB games.
What you never enjoyed any PB games? Not even Elex. If so you lose some serious RPG credibility on this forum. Just kidding guess we all have are own different tastes.

Last edited:
I've tried a few of them, ELEX 1 included. I wouldn't call them bad games, but they aren't really my thing.

Well I wont as I enjoy 3rd person Action RPGs.

I'm not saying action RPGs can't be good but I just find them mediocre compared to more in-depth/nuanced isometric RTwP/TB system.

I did enjoy some action RPGs in the past (e.g. Mass Effect) but they were no where as enjoyable as say Kingmaker, WotR, BG2 etc.

Plus, there are many devs out there working on action RPGs but not enough isometric RTwP/TB RPGs imo.

Can't deny I don't enjoy isometric RTwP/TB RPGs also. Well RTwP more as we debated before. I can do without TB RPGs but they seem to be having a renaissance right now.

I just try not to limit what RPGs to play though as pure RPGs are hard to find nowadays.
Sigh the thing that bothers me is anyone can put a game through a checklist and call it an RPG. The genre has become ambiguous, and nothing but a marketing buzzword.

I've seen hundreds of Steam games use the label and they are barely RPG-lite.
On a side note looks like the Codex was right. Don't tell them that.

I love them all but I do prefer to get mix of them. If it was just isometric RTwP/TB cRPG's I would be wondering when the next 3rd person Witcher 3 like game is coming.

While I don't mind Owlcat branching out, hopefully the core focus stays on their Pathfinder line of games for now.

Switching to action RPG is not reassuring. Yes, please do yell for all of us @purpleblob1;! :D

They are the only devs working with a good ruleset, setting and story. Let's hope they don't go down the BioWare route, first hiding the ruleset in an action RPG then forgetting completely about it. There is more money there, so it must be tempting.

There are other classic/iso RPGs, but they're nowhere near that level.

(a third-person sci-fi action RPG!)

The older I become, the more allergic I become against the word "action". I just can't stand this word anymore.

There is more money there, so it must be tempting.
Ding that right there Action RPGs sell more copies. It's not rocket science. From what info I can gather each Pathfinder game sold over one million after launch that's all.

It's not all doom though as said already they probably have one action and one TB in development. A past interview also said the have a few more years of dlc for WotR.
We already announced, that the second DLC is coming on April 21st. The third DLC that will feature endless dungeon mode is going to be released somewhen in July. What is even more important, we don't want to stop with these content and we are going to make several more adventures in the world of Pathfinder and those will be included in Season Pass #2 that is coming later in 2022, including the first DLC that is to be launched this Fall.

Enhanced Edition also is going to be available for everyone this Fall, it will have new features and quality of life improvements. We will reveal the full list of features later but we can share that it will include photo mode as well as additional high-level content related to several mythic paths.

... god damnit. I'm going to yell at them if it is.
So like a Wail of the Banshee?

And with the new actiony IP: perhaps they're using it as a cash cow to fund more Pathfinder games. One can dream.

So like a Wail of the Banshee?

And with the new actiony IP: perhaps they're using it as a cash cow to fund more Pathfinder games. One can dream.
Go away we don't need your logic. We have to parrot the Codex about the decline of RPGs. Though yes if that action game succeeds we'll probably see more of both.

It's admirable how people think that a company like Owlcat can just create a cash cow, but they are choosing not to, because they have some morale choice to provide shitty niche RPGs even at the cost of willingly being poor and average as a company. The levels of delusion are actually so cringe.

Also, RPGCodex isn't about the decline of RPGs, it's about the decline of people like them and being bitter about it in general. Kind of them to make a site to keep them all corralled being a nuisance to each other while humans grow as species. :)

I'm not suggesting anything just that it might hypothetically be possible. I'm more amused at the betrayal this seems to have caused online with loyal fans of Owlcat.

That and the general disdain for Action RPGs on this forum.

As for the Codex you nailed it.:p

I wish for Owlcat doing Spelljammer :D

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Owlcat did their own setting, just because they couldn't get a license.

Ding that right there Action RPGs sell more copies. It's not rocket science. From what info I can gather each Pathfinder game sold over one million after launch that's all.

It's not all doom though as said already they probably have one action and one TB in development. A past interview also said the have a few more years of dlc for WotR.

I'm not convinced they could handle two games in parallel, let alone DLCs on top of that. My guess would be one game, even if they are hiring.

It's a wonder they manage to prosper despite the current conditions.

I wish for Owlcat doing Spelljammer
Might be hope for Spelljammer as TSR resurrected the setting and is self-funding new studios to make more RPGs. That setting is even hinted in Baldur's Gate 3.

I'm not convinced they could handle two games in parallel, let alone DLCs on top of that. My guess would be one game, even if they are hiring.

It's a wonder they manage to prosper despite the current conditions.
I certainly understand that worry but that's always a risk you take as a company venturing into unknown waters. It either pays off or you flop and learn a hash lesson.

As for the situation that's a touchy subject I agree we talked about that before.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom