Small Chronicles :: Unique Turn-Based Strategy JRPG :: Development Blog

[Day 262 Update]

In order to have the characters, monsters and other objects really have the feeling of being in the environment, I have begun to redraw them.

Here's what 1 of the beginning stages now look like :)

Scary%20Mushroom%20redesigned%20%231.png

On top of that I have also added animations for monsters. Will be showing them in a second gameplay trailer soon! ^^

[Day 265 Update]

Redrew most of the monsters and added animations for them for the Wood Groves.

Once that's done, I'll begin on redrawing and adding monsters for the deserts :D

Btw, here's another redrawn monster of the Wood Groves :)

Mad%20Wood%20redesigned%20%231%20Japanese.png

More coming soon ^-^

[Day 268 Update]

Finished redesigning the monsters for the wood groves! Here are more screenshots of what some of them look like now :D

Leaf%20Monster%20redesigned%20Japanese.png

Virus%20Flower%20redesigned%20Japanese.png

Will be moving on to the monsters in the deserts!

Let me know if you really want to see a certain monster appear in the deserts! (who knows that it may really appear in the game? :D)

[Day 272 Update]

Have begun redrawing the monsters and interact-able objects in the deserts

Also adding new monsters to the sands while doing that.

On top of that, I have also came up with a few new ideas for Small Chronicles ~

Ω Surprise stage objectives! These objectives will come randomly when you start any stage! And when you complete one of these, you'll get extra rewards on top of the usual ones!

Ω Lore books ~ Collect each and every lore book to unfold the story and lore behind the world of Small Chronicles! Who knows what might happen if you complete each lore book collection? (yes there'll be different sets)

Let me know what you think/feel about them

Oh and more screenshots coming soon! ^^

[Day 276 Update]

I have begun on the monsters of the Rune Deserts. The traps and other interact-able in-game objects are also being redrawn as I speak.

Here's what one of the stages now look like ~

Rock%20Eye%20redesigned%20%231.png

There will also be rocks and tunnels added to the Rune Deserts :D

Will be moving on to the skills of the new monsters in the deserts once they have been drawn ^^

More screenshots coming!

[Day 281 Update]

I have finished redrawing all the monsters for the deserts! Here's a sneak peek at one of the new monsters!

Goblin%20%231.png

Will be adding skills for each of the new monsters (yes every monster has its own unique skill)

I know that doing so will make the monsters really challenging ~ but hey what's a fun game without any challenge? :p

btw bosses have multiple skills :D

more screenshots coming!

[Day 287 Update]

While adding skills for each of the new monsters, I have also been increasing the interactivity between different object types in the game.

Here's an example where Kon is about to push a rock up onto a blessing (which usually gives a temporary stat bonus upon getting it)

Blessing%20explode%20%231.png

And when he does, the blessing shatters and affects the surrounding enemies with its reversed effect ~

Blessing%20explode%20%232.png

This is just an example as there are many other different things you can do with the objects of Small Chronicles (not just their primary usage) :D

More updates coming soon! ^^

Added bonus objectives to the game! These objectives appear randomly and give additional rewards when cleared! :D

bonus%20objective%20%231%20Japanese.png

More updates coming soon!

Changed how dialogues in the game show up! This way it will complement the voice-overs better!

The previous way (bubble over character's head) will only be used for the game's tutorial.

Lyea%20Dialogue%20%231%20Japanese.png

Check out a new sneak preview of Small Chronicles! Now with voice overs! :D

Added a new animation for surviving a stage! :D

Satisfaction from clearing a stage +1 !

stage%20clear%20animation.png

I have also added Japanese voice-overs, tons of new equipment and bonus objectives to the game! :)

1 step closer to beta testing! ^^

So you know... that moment when you want to open a treasure chest and you realized that your inventory is full?

Don't you hate it when you have to go back to your inventory and clear stuff for space and try to open the treasure chest again?

Well now you don't.

Introducing swapping items on-the-fly! :D

interface%20-%20swap%20items%20English.png

Read more about it here @ http://whitesponge.com/blog/a-rather-detailed-update/

Been a few days since I have last posted updates for Small Chronicles. During these few days I have added books to the game.

books%20%231%20English.png

Books are essentially items that you can read to find out more about the lore, history and world of Small Chronicles.

Some other books are from the perspective of NPCs of the game while others are part of collections which you can complete (e.g Book Name - I)

If you read through most of them you will realize that it all links to the main story of Small Chronicles :D

You can get them from treasure chests!

Next up - Adding universal support to Small Chronicles ^-^

Alright I'm in the process of ensuring that the game looks good on the iPad and the iPhone/iPod Touch.

Here's a preview image of how Small Chronicles looks like on an iPad

world%201%20retina%20%231.png

The background might look slightly different from when it's on an iPhone/iPod Touch because I have redrawn it specially for the iPad :D

Alright I'm in the processing of adding some new awesome items to the in-game store :D

new%20items%20English.png

And as you can see, these items have some pretty awesome bonuses but they also cost rubies to get.

So to ensure that everyone can get their hands on some of these awesome goodies, I have increased the rate at which rubies can be gotten.

You can now also get rubies from treasure chests! :D

treasure%20chest%20ruby.png

I'm the process of adding sync-ing capability to Small Chronicles. And frankly after a few days of attempting to add iCloud (Apple's cloud service) support, I find it really unreliable to be able to be shipped with Small Chronicles.

So I'm looking at DropBox at the moment instead. Just a show of hands though ~ how many of you will be willing to create a new account with DropBox (if you don't already have 1)? If doing so gives you the ability to save your game progress across all your devices?

I have decided to continue with iCloud support although it will be from a different approach/workaround

In the midst of adding iCloud support to Small Chronicles and so far it is working great most of the time! (except for when iOS decides not to detect the new files in iCloud)

Btw here's how your inventory will be in Small Chronicles on your iPad! :D

ipad%20inv.png

Finally got iCloud synchronization to work with Small Chronicles. Here's a quick camera shot of my iPad completing the synchronization :D ~

CIMG0020%20small.JPG

Basically if you have been playing it offline without ever turning on the synchronizing and you do so suddenly, the game synchronizes all the local data onto iCloud.

In doing so, any new installs of Small Chronicles on other devices can still be updated to the latest data by tapping on the synchronization button (leftmost green button in image above)

And if you have been playing Small Chronicles on multiple devices, any latest change made on 1 device that isn't detected in any other devices will be updated on those devices :D

Added cloud saving (across iOS devices) and several new sound effects for characters. Now when you select a character or have him/her do something, the character will speak in response.

I added them as I believe it will add polish to the game thus making a better gameplay experience.

Btw, here's some concept art of some of the monsters in the Wood Groves :D

Concept%20Art%20%231.png

And iOS 7 is coming out soon. Going to add support for it! Cheers! ^^

Just added support for the upcoming iOS 7!

iOS%207%20%231.png

I must say that most of it only involves ensuring that the tables in the game look and feel the same way as in iOS 6 and below ~

If I just compiled and start the game without making any changes, this is what a table in Small Chronicles would look like in iOS 7:

iOS%207%20table%20-%20before%20English.png

And that is because the default background color for iOS 7 tables is white :D

So after making it transparent again, this is what it becomes:

iOS%207%20table%20-%20after%20English.png

Overall adding support for iOS7 was pretty smooth. There wasn't any ground-breaking changes that affected Small Chronicles :D

P.S ~ ignore the 999999 coins and rubies (it's only for testing :D)

Back
Top Bottom