Thinking of buying a indie game

azraelck

Angel of Cookies!
But, I want to get some thoughts from anyone here who may have played them. I'm not fond of spending money for garbage, and I've spent far too much on garbage games already this year.

So, here are the old and indie games I was looking at. Any thoughts?

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/ishar_1_2

http://rampantgames.com/eschalon

http://rampantgames.com/morningswrath

http://www.avernum.com/avernum5/index.html

Alternately, Resident Evil 1: Director's Cut was released on the PSN, and next week there was Wolfenstein 3D coming as well. Not RPGs, which I am craving, but still good games.

I've heard good things about Avernum, and used to play the original Exile Trilogy years ago. But other than that, these games were picked because they all interested me in some way.

I'm leaning towards Ishar because of the price and the fact it's two games instead of one. Thanks in advance.

Eschalon by far. Ishar are VERY old and look it.

"Old" doesn't come into consideration. I have DOSBox if needed. Bard's Tale is very old yet I'd still recommend it to anyone today. I am very old, and I'd recommend myself to any cute women today as well. ;)

I've not heard good things about the Ishar games, but love Eschalon and also Avernum. Since you've played Exile, try Eschalon for something new!

Alternately, Resident Evil 1: Director's Cut was released on the PSN, and next week there was Wolfenstein 3D coming as well. Not RPGs, which I am craving, but still good games.

Have you ever played any of the Resident Evil games before? It's an excellent series imo, one of the best to ever originate from a console system.

I'd recommend Eschalon as well. Definitely one of the most competent indie titles ever to get released.

Eschalon is good indie cRPG. Nothing original, nothing special but good and worth it.

Avernum 5 by far.

Seriously, it depends on the sort of game you want and AV5 and Eschalon both have decent demos, so why not find out for yourself?

Eschalon has some excellent productions values and a very nice interface for an indie. I really enjoyed creeping through dark (and I mean dark) dungeons, watching my torches - but I know others found the darkness frustrating. The content is competent but simple - there really isn't any branching or deep dialogue and the combat is very simple.

Avernum V doesn't look as nice but is one of the best RPGs around. There are lots of decisions and some fairly difficult encounters with a much more rounded combat system

Yet another vote for Eschalon. I've been meaning to give a Spiderweb game (Avernum, et al) a try, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Looks like the forum is overwhelmingly in favor of Eschalon. I've got both Avernum and Eschalon demos; which is why I was asking. I'll likely end up with both eventually, but I am making a feeble attempt to stay on a budget. Which is why Ishar was on the table; it was one of a few older CRPGs I never got to play.

Anvil of Dawn: I played it, though it's been years and I've probably lost all the documentation by now. It's on my hard drive though.

Resident Evil: You could say I've played it. I own 0, Remake, 2, 3, CV, and 4 on my Gamecube; 4 again on my PS2, and 5 on my PS3. I'll admit I suck horribly at them, but that's another story. :p I agree they are excellent games in general; though 4 and 5 are really a whole different type of game entirely from the rest.

Muchas Gracias Amigos and Amiga. I've been wanting a new RPG for a while, but haven't gotten one worthwhile. I keep buying into hype machines, and ending up with garbage.

Yet another vote for Eschalon. I've been meaning to give a Spiderweb game (Avernum, et al) a try, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I just don't like the whole 'isometric' view with the the newer Spiderweb games. I thought Exile III was the best game they've ever done, Blades of Exile was pretty good too. Just my opinion.

Resident Evil: You could say I've played it. I own 0, Remake, 2, 3, CV, and 4 on my Gamecube; 4 again on my PS2, and 5 on my PS3. I'll admit I suck horribly at them, but that's another story. :p I agree they are excellent games in general; though 4 and 5 are really a whole different type of game entirely from the rest.

Sheesh....why didn't you say so? ;)

No need to even bother with the original DC version then, it's vastly inferior to the Gamecube remake.

Sheesh....why didn't you say so? ;)

No need to even bother with the original DC version then, it's vastly inferior to the Gamecube remake.

But it is the original; and about the only one I haven't played. :p

It seems that most indie RPGs I've found are either isometric or top down. Not an issue with me, as I loved Ultima and The Summoning among others.

I already bought Eschalon, so it'll probably be a bit. Of course, now I have to buy a tire. :'( This isn't my week.

Have you ever played any of the Resident Evil games before? It's an excellent series imo, one of the best to ever originate from a console system.

They released the original in a 'Director's Cut' edition for PSN (i.e. PSP & PS3) last week - of course I popped it right up. Couldn't wait to get back to some of the worst voice acting, dialogue and wonkiest controls for an absolutely great game ever!

Back
Top Bottom