Bethesda Softworks - Fallout: "We own the rights to the MMO"

If interplay made a terrible mmo it would make their fallout games not sell.

They are. The Bulgarian studio is largely providing the engine and technical assistance. Interplay has several developers working on FOOL, including Jason Anderson for a while, and now still Chris Taylor and Mark O'Green, all former Fallout devs. And Serge Suleiman, formerly of Obsidian (did the world art for Alpha Protocol).

I was under the impression that the Interplay team on the Fallout MMO would be handling the design part of the game, where as Masthead (the developer) would be handling all the rest, presumably after they complete their own MMO. If a larger part of the works falls onto Interplay's shoulders, it spells ever worse for the game if it ever sees light of day, that is.

Bethesda would still be allowed to produce Fallout 4 if the contract reverts. ZeniMax Online is presumed to be working on TES Online. And any further DLC for New Vegas would not be blocked regardless of contract status. I doubt the game is currently further licensed out for a spin-off.

ZeniMax Online is probably deep in development of TES Online, true. However, I believe I read some reports of them ramping up quite a sizable studio and funding (at some point). Which is to say that a Fallout MMO there is not completely out of the question and is at some point along at development. Frankly, unless BethSoft has any concrete plans, readied development and funding for it, I generally fail to see their die-hard position on the Interplay suit, especially the ban on use of assets, lore and stuff on previous Fallout games. Otherwise they could have settled long ago, and watch the FOOL game die a horrible death and wiped the slate clean with the announcement of their own game.

Sure, F4 is covered by the original agreement, and so are future New Vegas DLC. While BethSoft is a one-game team, they've shown not to hesitate do outsource development to other teams (as with F:NV) and they've been on a shopping spree, gathering a number of studios under their wing. While non of them have announced any Fallout plans so far and sure won't for a while (since their Beth's policy obviously is to announce new installments close to release) nothing is stopping them to fund development of a New Vegas-type game to another studio or a different genre spin-off (FPS for example) as to not lose/capitalize on momentum in the franchise.

It may be a different document but I didn't see anything that says Interplay has the rights to release the older fallout games - only to develop the MMO. I think that was actually one of the turning points in the Interplay-Bethesda relationship. The only thing that I can find is that Bethesda is the sole owner of anything with the name Fallout or a concept derived from the game universe. So, I agree with you that Bethesda must have some amazingly inept lawyers.

The right to distribute the pre-existing Fallout games is covered in the Asset Purchase Agreement, while the license to develop the MMO is covered in the Trademark License Agreement.

The point is Bethesda want put their hand on the MMO that's all. The selling success of Fallout 3 certainly surprised even themselves. Interplay offered them buy the MMO license too and they refused now they regret and want get it free, greed and avidity. I hope Bethesda not only lost but get forced to pay all the lawyers bills, they fully deserve it.

The right to distribute the pre-existing Fallout games is covered in the Asset Purchase Agreement, while the license to develop the MMO is covered in the Trademark License Agreement.

Exactly, Bethesda bought the rights to the old Fallout games but Interplay took it upon themselves to release a fallout 1 + 2 (and Tactics, I think) package a year or so ago, without Bethesda's permission.

EDIT: And I really don't see why everybody thinks that Bethesda is the "bad guy" here. Sure, they aren't going about it professionally but I seem to remember Interplay overstepping their legal rights before, with BioWare. They decided to license the Infinity Engine to somebody without BioWare's permission (I must add the required "iirc" here).

Exactly, Bethesda bought the rights to the old Fallout games but Interplay took it upon themselves to release a fallout 1 + 2 (and Tactics, I think) package a year or so ago, without Bethesda's permission.

EDIT: And I really don't see why everybody thinks that Bethesda is the "bad guy" here. Sure, they aren't going about it professionally but I seem to remember Interplay overstepping their legal rights before, with BioWare. They decided to license the Infinity Engine to somebody without BioWare's permission (I must add the required "iirc" here).

Bethsada did not buy the old fallout games if you read the contract. Interplay can sell the games they made and Bethsada will not see a dime of the money. They want to stop sales because the old games have nothing to do with them and there vision of fallout. Im sorry to say based on legal technicality Bethesda is in the wrong. Im not saying interplay is right either but a contract is a contract. You cant break it just because you want the IP license.

Incorrect. Please read the APA Ausir refers to before making blatantly incorrect claims like these. Bethesda complained about the naming "Fallout Trilogy" but failed to inform itself that this name predates Fallout 3 and thus does not break the APA.

I was under the impression that the Interplay team on the Fallout MMO would be handling the design part of the game, where as Masthead (the developer) would be handling all the rest, presumably after they complete their own MMO.

Something like that, but it's hard to know the exact division of labor from the outside looking in.

it's hard to know the exact division of labor from the outside looking in.

In fact there`s hardly anything solid known about this project. This combined with Interplay`s zombie-like status is about as promising as this half-melted snow outside my window.

But hey, it`s easier to ignore this & hate-on Bethsoft...whose fault is exactly what? Releasing a title that`s very likely to become GOTY? (ah but that was Obsidian, they`re the good guys). Or hiring some lame lawyers?

I don`t care much for any corporations, ZeniMax included, but common sense dictates that they`re the ones with biggest chances to do some justice to this MMORPG.

That's exactly the point, many players look at this case from what they know of each respective company, not from the case itself.

Interplay haven't released any good RPG (or game?) since many years, when Bethesda have released the "wonderful" Oblivion (I think it's a crap) then the "amazingly fun" Fallout 3 (can't comment), so yeah they clearly win the case.

In term of law it's pointless to discuss this, at this degree of nonsense agreements they sign, common sense means nothing.

From a morale point of view it's quite clear that Bethesda want all and not pay more, ie they want the MMO for free. This lawsuit won't cost them that much if they fail and if they win it's a huge profit. The counter argument is that with Fallout 3 and FNV they resurrected the brand so they own it now no matter any previous agreements and so should own any Fallout MMO.

Even if I see the points of the second arguing, this lawsuit is so silly that Bethesda should stop this non sense and make a Elder Scroll MMO if they really want make a MMO.

That's exactly the point, many players look at this case from what they know of each respective company, not from the case itself.

Interplay haven't released any good RPG (or game?) since many years, when Bethesda have released the "wonderful" Oblivion (I think it's a crap) then the "amazingly fun" Fallout 3 (can't comment), so yeah they clearly win the case.

In term of law it's pointless to discuss this, at this degree of nonsense agreements they sign, common sense means nothing.

From a morale point of view it's quite clear that Bethesda want all and not pay more, ie they want the MMO for free. This lawsuit won't cost them that much if they fail and if they win it's a huge profit. The counter argument is that with Fallout 3 and FNV they resurrected the brand so they own it now no matter any previous agreements and so should own any Fallout MMO.

Even if I see the points of the second arguing, this lawsuit is so silly that Bethesda should stop this non sense and make a Elder Scroll MMO if they really want make a MMO.

You might be correct if you ignored the legal contract Interplay signed. They had 2 years to secure 30 million minimum to fund the MMO, they did not. So they lose the rights. No mutants allowed of course side with interplay on this, that however does not make interplay right.

In reality interplay is pissed bethesda made all the money they have off o f oblivion and now want a peice of the pie.

You might be correct if you ignored the legal contract Interplay signed. They had 2 years to secure 30 million minimum to fund the MMO, they did not. So they lose the rights. No mutants allowed of course side with interplay on this, that however does not make interplay right.

In reality interplay is pissed bethesda made all the money they have off o f oblivion and now want a peice of the pie.

Oh not this again. Didn't I read somewhere that they did get the money from investors, but Bethesda wouldn't accept it for some reason?

Or did I just dream that up :D

Reading you it seems that it's Interplay that is doing the lawsuit, but it seems I have to learn you a very important point, it's Bethesda that attacked.

Also the case seems far to be as obvious than you seem think because the point you mention isn't one of the new development but a point under justice examination since 2009 following another lawsuit launch by Bethesda. If Bethesda is throwing new points it's most probably they are going to lost on previous points including the one you quote.

About being "pissed" obviously both sides have elements to be "pissed". For the players point of view I can understand Bethesda fans see only the points for Bethesda. I'd quote that what MMO made Bethesda? With a MMO Bethesda won't have their fans fill with mods the holes they let in their games.

Oh not this again. Didn't I read somewhere that they did get the money from investors, but Bethesda wouldn't accept it for some reason?

Or did I just dream that up :D

I don't have a horse in this race (is a less dull conversation even possible?) but I'd be shocked if Interplay had $30M, outside of vague promises from investors that will never actually pay up.

I could have sworn I read that somewhere they had the money. Doesn't really matter I've only taken a passing interest in this scandal. I'm only really interested because I have no idea how Interplay is staying alive. They were dead in the water after Fallout: POS (serves them right for dumping Baldur's Gate III and Fallout III). They were for all purposes dead, but not dead.

Even now I haven't a clue as to how they are staying afloat and reportedly have two of the original Fallout devs working on their FOOL game. That part fascinates me. The legal mumbo jumbo bores me though.

Alrighty then moving onto something more interesting. Has anyone heard about any better DLCs in the future for New Vegas?

Back
Top Bottom