Sacred 2 - Preview @ Shacknews

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Shacknews has kicked up a preview of Sacred 2. Here's an excerpt:
Ascaron noted that Sacred 2's multiplayer component is a big area of focus, though only fairly basic details could be shared at this point. Online cooperative multiplayer games will be able to contain up to either 16 or 32 players--the number is not yet set in stone--with parties of up to eight characters each. Like other games of the sort, it will have a pre-game lobby with chat and friends management, but less typically it supports both voice and video chat out of the box. Similarly to Battle.net, there will be two online options, open and closed, with the former allowing players a greater deal of freedom to set up servers and the latter featuring only Ascaron-run servers in order to limit cheating and provide reliability. For those who still like to play within earshot of others, Sacred 2 will feature a special LAN campaign, though it is unclear how substantial it will be relative to the main single-player/online campaign.
Thanks, Acleacius!
More information.

I am still having a hard time thinking of 32 people in a freaking hack and slash, in a good way. :)
Can you imagine having 30 people on Voice chat going, "who needs a +1 sword, I got 5 extra." :p

Yeah. While the 32 on-line sounds like a blast, I can't imagine 32 people on voice chat or, for god's sake, video chat! That would be pure pandemonium. The old fashioned typed chat alone would be hard enough to keep up with.

Also, did anyone else pick up on this:
"At this point, Ascaron is only showing off the High Elf portion of the world, which comprises about 25% of the game's total geography, but according to the developer that section alone takes about five hours to traverse if walking from corner to corner. "

o_O

That can't be right. No way in hell it could take 5 hours of walking just to get across 25% of the world. That must be a misquote or misunderstanding...

Weell, if Sacred is any pointer to this, you could walk around the starting area 25 % area for 5 hours in the beginning, but then you had to walk all over the whole game area at least three times :)

Yeah that's just staggering. :wow:

I can't recall atm but wasn't Sacred a starforce title?
If so I certinaly hope they choose to jump off that bandwagon, like so many other good developers and publishers.

I played the original before I was Starforce-wary, and I dont know if the original had it or not, and the searches seem sketchy, as if Underworld had it but the original didnt. I dont care enough at this point to devote any more time to it, my time is short tonight.

Word on the street however is that Sacred 2 will not use it.

Ahh good new, thanks xSamhainx.

I kind of noticed the same thing when I do searches, it's as if many people had problems but when I check the starforce site that list all games using it, I don't see it.

I guess it doesn't matter I have a setup now where I am able to play starforce games without any danger to my main files and systems.
I am just using a (spare) seperate hard drive which I solo boot only and this has no personaly data or important files.

GCW says right here that only the French versions of Sacred and the expansion had StarForce. All other versions were protected by VOB.
VOB is the latest CD Copy Protection techniques on the lines of SecuROM and SafeDisc. VOB uses anti-disassembling routines and these make the debugging take considerable amount of time hence deterring crackers. The rest of it remains the same as SecuROM and SafeDisc.

I believe they used an in-house protection and it turned out pretty difficult to crack. It was ages before cracks got available for people who use it.

Good to know thanks, Moriendor and Arma. :)

Definalty gives me some hope they won't be using it on Scared 2. ;)

I have the french version of Sacred Gold and I can confirm it doesnt have Starforce.

Woot!
Anyone need a +1 sword, I got 5 extra! :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom