Inside Chris Taylor's fight to save Gas Powered Games

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I definitely feel for the guy I've had businesses fail in the past. It's bad putting yourself in a bad financial situation but when you put others there as well, it's crushing.

Problem is I didn't care for any of his other games and haven't seen anything in wild man that interests me.

I can't put any money behind something I have zero interest in. If they somehow make a crazy come back and are close at the end I would help out and buy a copy and just give it to a friend or something.

I feel the same but I haven't enjoyed any of his games since Supreme Commander. Part of the article tries to make you feel bad because we the fans supposedly abandoned him.

Wildman just doesn't do anything for me. It doesn't catch my interest. If it was Kings ans Castles yes but that game needs more than 1 million to make.

They didn't meet contract obligations so all money goes to the publishers.

Evil if a publisher just wants that, and therefore is steering things into that direction, for example by placing milestones no-one can ever reach in a scheduled time (scheduled by the publisher, of course !).

Wildman looks interesting in that it's a "prehistoric" theme, something that really hasnt been done right. Paraworld was kinda cool, but it wasnt caveman

Wildman looks interesting in that it's a "prehistoric" theme, something that really hasnt been done right. Paraworld was kinda cool, but it wasnt caveman

I got the game from gogamer free with my order years ago. Wasn't bad and it surprised me.

Reading up on the whole GPG saga - I didnt know that Age of Empires Online was halted, but I could have told you back when it came out that it was insanely risky to go like they did. Micro-transactioned, pay-per-civilization (without even a full roster of civs) it went against what the Age of.. games always were. Competitive, historical rts games loaded w/ a ton of content for your bucks. Lots of civs, lots of strategies, lots of cool stuff.

Like most I played AoE online a bit, I actually liked the cartoony look and the back to basics gameplay. Then they held me back and pressed me for money, then I went and played something else. Actually i think it was Age of Mythology, a game I still love and play to this day. RTS gameplay is not MMO play, you cannot ration it out in like they can get away w/ in mmos. I'm not surprised at all.

Wildman was even more risky - prehistoric theme, claiming it was action rpg while talking all about RTS. There's no arpg there, it's simply an RTS w/ a hero, that's nothing new. Stank of MOBA style gameplay, while insisting on "singleplayer first"? It just looks like a bunch of conflicting information. While i like the theme, i have to admit it looked pretty… meh.

I think the last article I read was dead-on when it said that people would have supported something from GPG's lineage of games - another Supcom, or DS, or someting of that nature would have possibly worked. People want more of the same w/ some new stuff. Nostalgia sells on kickstarter. I had no problem at all throwing money at a Dungeon Keeper clone, Ive been dying to play a new DK for a decade. Even Grimoire, sure I'll give the nostaligic dungeon crawler of a madman a shot. But a Prehistoric moba-looking thing..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom