Project Eternity - Post-Funding Update #67

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Obsidian is back with a new Project Eternity post-funding update asking, "What's in a Game?"It's mostly a behind the scenes look at how the game is developed.
What's in a Game?

Update by Brandon Adler, Literal Task Master

Welcome to my world…

As a producer, one of my jobs is creating and understanding the game's master schedule. It's a never-ending task that requires constant refinement and adjustment. Anything that is added or changed can cause a cascade of unintended consequences which is why as game developers we have a responsibility to vet everything that goes into the game.

Today I'd like to give you a glimpse into how we approach game development from a scheduling perspective and what our typical thought processes are when figuring this stuff out. You will be able to see how each part of our area creation fits into the schedule and why changes and modifications can lead to difficult decisions for the team. Hopefully, it will give a bit more insight into the tough decisions that we make each day when crafting Project Eternity.

The driest. Essentially schedulework, some of the most boring but useful work around. Entire projects have failed when it was lacking, but it isn't a position I would ever apply for.

Very informative update. I like ones like this. Even if it looks like Obsidian is giving away their secrets, it helps the industry as a whole, I think.

Managing "artists" like an assembly line does seem like a recipe for disaster, but I can appreciate the concept and it's probably how I would do it, given no other way to lasso the work. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Pre-purchase (or reuse) of assets makes more "business" sense to me now even if the art suffers. But I knew that already.

Also, the work described should really be an eye opener for the naive kickstarters with little development experience in this area.

Yep, pretty interesting insider look to one of my primary concerns about this game when I laid eyes on that gorgeous first area. (Their art production pipeline and how it will cope with the insane amount of hands on work they need to do for all these screens, for a game of the size promised)

It seems a grueling affair for such a small team, but if they can maintain the level of quality we've seen across the whole (or at least most) of the game it will be (quite literally) a work of art… (Lets hope game mechanics writing and quest design is on par too of course ;) )

Back
Top Bottom