Witcher Problems With Old Save Games in EE?

The Witcher

Geist

Watchdog
I'm just about to install the Enhanced Edition Patch. (previously been playing with version 1.2 and am at the end of Chapter 2). I don't really want to start over from the beginning, so I'm just wondering if anyone has experienced any problems or lack thereof with previous save games after upgrading to the EE. (please no spoilers);)

When I installed the EE patch, my old save games showed up in the load screen without having to do anything. I haven't actually tried to load one but they seem to be compatible.

The only concern I would have is if you start playing where you left off, only to find a quest unsolvable or something farther into the game - now all that time was wasted and you have to start over anyway. I decided instead to start fresh and enjoy all the new content the EE has to offer.

That's exactly the reason why I posted the question. The official word is that old save games are compatible, but given the extensive changes in the EE, I'm not unconcerned about the possibility of encountering some game breaking bug later on. So I was hoping that somebody could confirm that they successfully played through the game from an old save without major problems.
Someone must have tried this...You didn't all start a new game did you?

See, I know for sure they said that savegames were not compatible with patch 1.3, so I just assumed they wouldn't be for the EE either. But maybe not. I think most of the people here started over... I don't know about everyone.

Looks like I get to be the guinea pig. I'm jumping into the water baby. If there are any crocs lurking in the depths, pray they eat me up quickly. If they wait til I've been swimming around for 20 hours before they start chewing on my legs, I will let off a heck of a scream.

How far along are you in the game? It really doesn't take that long to re-play things you've already experienced. fights are much easier - you already know what potions to drink before entering certain doors/ areas. You know how to allocate talents. You know how you should save and spend your money, etc....
I was already in chapter II after only a couple of sit-downs.

I probably spent almost 20 hours to get to the end of chapter 2. The problem is I play extremely slowly and thoroughly. When I try to rush, I just don't enjoy it. Replaying would certainly take a lot less time, but still quite a few hours running back and forth bewteen locations, selling countless drowner brains, meticulously arranging my inventory and obliging my unbreakable habit of just admiring the scenery.

Anyway, so far so good. The old save games loaded up fine and I haven't noticed any glitches yet. Frame rates are noticeably slower in certain areas, but load times definitely feel faster. And Carmen's hair turned brown...

...and her face got prettier too. I remember reading something about an improved model for Triss as well but I've yet to notice any difference there.

I'm a lot like you it seems - I play that thoroughly as well. One thing I did this time that I didn't before is to buy the drowner repelling talisman. After I had enough killing drowners every ten feet in the swamp I decided to buy it, and it speeds up your errands quite a bit. The drowners will not attack unless you attack them. Weird thing though it seemed to stop working in chapter III - well, at least in the sewers - I haven't been back to the swamp yet.

The drowner repelling talisman is a good tip actually. Though, I found that hunting drowners is actually one of the best money pumps in chapter 2, since Kalkstein will buy Ginatz's acid for 15 orens (especially now that dice poker isn't so easy anymore). Yeah, Triss looks exactly the same to me as well (a little more eye shade perhaps). The voices for Leo, Lambert and Dandelion seem a little flatter and not as expressive as before, but I'm sure the dialog is much better overall. One thing I wish they had done was to include some way in which to sort your storage items at the inn.

Update: yes the talisman works in the swamp still. Wonder why not the sewers? Must be a different breed of drowner. ;)

I always peddle my stuff like crazy so never end up with too much stored at the inn.

If you still care, I've played the game with EE patch with an old savegame. No problems whatsoever--my old save was around the beginning of the second chapter. No hitch and no fuss, sailed smooth to the very last cut-scene.

...and her face got prettier too. I remember reading something about an improved model for Triss as well but I've yet to notice any difference there.

Apparently, they improved her boobs. You'd have to stare very hard at the cleavage to notice any difference, though, and we don't spend so much time staring at polygon breasts, now do we?

Last edited:
Hmm... Is that what it is? Well, I did seem to think they bounced a little more naturally during the opening cinematic of the game. :lol:

Thanks for the reassurance Essaliad. And kudos to CD Projekt for making the effort. Now if only they had included an option to adjust the difficulty level in game. I think I saw a mod for that somewhere, though.

Back
Top Bottom