Gods and Heroes: Where's the Love??

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom
Original Sin Donor
I'm not really seeing very much interest in this game, but what Ive seen of it so far in previews and such looks promising to me. Ok, that's an understatement, I think it looks pretty unbelievable. Maybe even enough to bring this tiger out of MMO-retirement!

First off, soldier-minion thing looks cool. As you level, you get to control more of these npc soldiers at your command. You can have different types that compliment your play style. If youre a hack and slasher, you could have healer minions, or ranged, or whatever for example. While minions are nothing new, this takes it to the level of squad-based combat. So basically, when youre doing instances, you and like 4 other players can raid with what's essentially a small army, instread of you having to organize a small army of individual players. This means that you can also theoretically solo a bunch as well if you want. Big selling point for me.

I also think the historic style is something lacking in the MMO field. I have nothing against fantasy, I love elves and orcs and big shoulderpads and wild armor as much as the next guy. But I think there's also a need for some more realistic looking historical themes and graphics. I want Roman armor, basically. I want Roman architecture. I think this is very appealing to history buffs such as myself.

Finally, mythological creatures and gods come to life. While alot of what Ive seen seems to be more rooted in Greek mythology than Roman, I'm not gonna split hairs on this point. Youve got gorgons, minotaur, cyclopes, chimera, and so on and so forth. You have classical mythology themed quests, gods from whom you derive your powers, etc. I know, I'm rambling somewhat incoherantly but I'm just excited at the prospects of the game, and admittedly buzzed out on some particularly strong coffee.

Or am I all wet here? I dont keep too abreast of the latest MMO stuff that much, perhaps I dont know some downers on this game. Has anyone played the beta? Anyone got some first-hand impressions?

Or is this game just being outshone by the hype machine of other titles?

Looks interesting; feel free to tell us/me if they ever happen to get to open beta. ;)

I think there was a beta sign up a while ago for this game, I recall filling out some form in regards to a beta test. But I think my machine isn't up to the specs. And that is why WoW does so well still.. It has low system requirements thus allowing massive numbers of players. Sure, lots of PC gamers have high end machines, but many, many more casual gamers do not.
You make your MMO playable my the greatest number of players possible, and you've got a good shot at maintaining something impressive.
LOTRO has extremely modest system requirements and it's doing pretty well. If they'd only issue a free trial, they'd have many more subscribers.. But that's beside the point...
Gods & Heroes looks really nifty, and I love the setting. An MMO in the ancient world piques my interest to a great extent. But I'm not so sure the MMO model is for me.

Well it's about time!

Thanks for the head's-up!

Back
Top Bottom