GOG rejected to publish Grimoire for being too niche

Gokyabgu

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin 2 Donor
My opinion it's not the first time GOG rejected a game over a projection of low sales. I've see developers talk about this before on other sites, but GOG is a business first.

Simply put it's probably not worth the time and money for very niche low selling games on the service. As GOG has moved past only selling niche games in the last few years.

It might also be a political move due to whose the developer of Grimoire.

Update: Seems it's RPGCodex trolling again.:(

Bullshit maybe but it's their right to say no to any game they want to.

Anyway the codex started this mess and they thrive on outrage game culture. As for posting private business emails on a public site that's another legal matter to look into.

Last edited:
Well many of GoG recent releases are niche indie games (not that I have heard much of them), and I don't think they have a huge market - but yet they are on GoG!

Maybe its the gobbledygook graphics and user interface of Grimoire that threw them off.

I find this hard to believe, as Grimoire is clearly quite similar to many games that great old games offers on their site. Until we hear something from either the author of the game or GoG themselves, I'm casting shade on this.

Oddly, some who mantra about EA scamware didn't say here GOG is business and not charity.

Well then. Imagine you're running that business and are trying to sign a normal, usual contract with - Cleve. Is something like that even possible? Unless you're running some charity.

Last edited:
Oddly, some who mantra about EA scamware didn't says here GOG is business and not charity.

While I hate EA I would buy and sell their games before Cleve's.

Not gonna apologize either I hate the guy more then EA.:p

Someone should warn him that public opinion matters for selling games. As one Snafu can ruin your game in the public eye, and it's very hard to earn back buyer's trust.

Just look at the politicization of games nowadays it doesn't help either.

Erm, I mentioned EA only because when I start spitting on lootboxes and frauds someone comes to "correct" me that EA is not charity.
Well, neither is GOG.

Now about what is more profitable that's no brainer. Works with other types of entertainment/art. And I don't mean just cases where noone buys London Orchestra masterpiece albums yet everyone buys Justin Bieber singles. ;)
But even then, I'd rather be in business selling Pokemon Go and Candy Crush Saga than EA's gambling digital slotmachines falsely advertised as videogames. The latter will soon return to bite someone's arse.

Its a really just about Cleve's inability to keep his mouth shut in the modern era where SJ is a clear reality. He's not that hard to get to and I've told him to STFU but I'm pretty sure he won't listen. Too bad the game is great. A true Wizardry 7 tribute assuming you are into such things.

Yeah, if true, it might just come down to a pragmatic decision - how many units is this really going to sell, and how much grief is this jackass going to bring to our door? Considering his levels of professionalism, and his various litigious threats, I wouldn't get into business with him.

Cleve himself said this to be true. He said they used to contact him about putting the game on GOG when it was ready, then when it was ready they refused the game due to being too niche. It's probably due to the controversy surrounding the author of the game.

Cleve himself said this to be true. He said they used to contact him about putting the game on GOG when it was ready, then when it was ready they refused the game due to being too niche. It's probably due to the controversy surrounding the author of the game.

I would be really surprised if it was due to 'controversy'. Aside from a couple of niche forums nobody knows or cares who Cleve is. It's not like gog is going to get a twitter storm of bs outrage over cultural appropriation or some such other garbage.

I think you are underestimating the SJW impact on GOG. Just google "gog sjw" and enjoy the reading. Welcome to 1984

I think you are underestimating the SJW impact on GOG. Just google "gog sjw" and enjoy the reading. Welcome to 1984

Thats fair. Thank you.
I won't be googling it as I will take your word on it. :)

I think it's all just bs. By default I don't believe anything related to Grimoire anywhere.

Says a topic in GOG forums. I don't know if it's true or not, but it sounds ridiculous to reject it based on that reason for a digital distributor that earned its fame mainly by publishing niche products.

Thinking of how many *extreme* niche products are out there at GOG, I must say that I'm surprised.

Yeah, I'd say the GOG people read his responses to critical consumer reviews on Steam, and were like "Nah, we're good".

Yeah, if true, it might just come down to a pragmatic decision - how many units is this really going to sell, and how much grief is this jackass going to bring to our door? Considering his levels of professionalism, and his various litigious threats, I wouldn't get into business with him.

Indeed. Understandable business decision. Basicly it boils down to: Is this worth of all the headaches this developer causes?

It's also entirely likely that Grimoire doesn't meet the (low) quality bar that GOG requires. Be honest, if someone said to you "Hey, I bought Grimoire and when I launch it it just crashes" every single one of you would react with "Yep, that math checks out, probably true."

Back
Top Bottom