Alpha Protocol - No longer available for Sale on Steam

Probably has to do with some type of expired license or its getting re-mastered.

I wanted so much to enjoy this game, yet the interface was so darned clunky I didn't get more than an hour into it. I'd love to try again with a revamped version.

Last edited:
I just finished replaying Alpha Protocol (via CD which I kept).

I enjoyed it when it came out in 2010, but then when Deus Ex Human Revolution came out a year later and did pretty much the same things almost all of them better I decided that I would probably not replay AP. I eventually changed my mind and enjoyed it quite a bit, not to the level of DX:HR but still good in its own right.

Best Obsidian game ever made

I just finished replaying Alpha Protocol (via CD which I kept).

I enjoyed it when it came out in 2010, but then when Deus Ex Human Revolution came out a year later and did pretty much the same things almost all of them better I decided that I would probably not replay AP. I eventually changed my mind and enjoyed it quite a bit, not to the level of DX:HR but still good in its own right.

I came to both of those later, but also in that order. Very similar games in the ways you describe - I loved both, but Alpha Protocol had a kind of charm that really impressed me. Granted, I think I played it long after the bugs had been addressed, and I approached it like an RPG, rather than an FPS, so the complaints about combat didn't arise for me.

Makes me want to go back and replay :)

I came to both of those later, but also in that order. Very similar games in the ways you describe - I loved both, but Alpha Protocol had a kind of charm that really impressed me. Granted, I think I played it long after the bugs had been addressed, and I approached it like an RPG, rather than an FPS, so the complaints about combat didn't arise for me.

I have been lucky in that I have almost never experienced a game (out of hundreds over the decades) which had what I would consider a lot of bugs.

Alpha Protocol has some elements which some people considered wonky -- stealth takes into account noise so people who feel that they were stealthy only to be discovered were very angry in 2010, and hit success depends upon a hidden die roll so people who feel that they were accurate shooters were angry at sometimes missing -- but the reports of being buggy as heck were in my view overblown (that's not to say that there weren't some bugs). It took a bit of a mindset switch to get used to the gameplay.

I played it basically as I would other stealth-and-combat games such as Deus Ex, Assassin's Creed, and Watch Dogs. I stealth as much as I can and then if I'm discovered I either run away and hide for a bit to try again or I just guns ablaze. Much of the gameplay of AP, though, is in the conversations and how the timed responses the player provides change the progression of the story.

Yep the timed conversations are something no other RPG game has tried yet.:nod:

Looks like it's time for another replay for me also.

Expired license, unfortunately.

Source? Not sure why Steam wouldn't say that instead of saying "At the request of the publisher, Alpha Protocol™ is no longer available for sale on Steam."

Also they've already asked (last year) on their twitter if people are interested in a remaster "for modern consoles"..

https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/1036747936544083968

Of course it does not prove that a remaster is in the making though.

I really should give it a try now that I've got a controller. Those mini-games were horrid with mouse/keyboard.

Source? Not sure why Steam wouldn't say that instead of saying "At the request of the publisher, Alpha Protocol™ is no longer available for sale on Steam."

Also they've already asked (last year) on their twitter if people are interested in a remaster "for modern consoles"..

https://twitter.com/Obsidian/status/1036747936544083968

Of course it does not prove that a remaster is in the making though.

https://techraptor.net/content/alph...storefronts-as-segas-publishing-rights-expire

So the publishing rights are no longer owned by Sega, but by Obsidian.

Bleh. When I go crazy and start playing everything on the phone where save anywhere is hardware restricted, then I might be okay with checkpoints.

Till then, either save anywhere mod or get off my property. In other words, it can stay removed from Steam for eternity for all I care.

Yeah, no quicksave and timed response killed it for me (and the horrible minigame controls, and...).

I thought the level design was rather weak. Outside of that, I liked the game. The C&C was quite good, although I could have lived without the dialogue timer. I don't like checkpoints either, but this game wasn't one of the wrost examples.

Yep the timed conversations are something no other RPG game has tried yet.:nod:

Looks like it's time for another replay for me also.

CDPR is using it ( in Cyberpunk), but I think they overdid it here. ( Mass Effect 2 also had this).
Having it on every dialogue line made it feel rushed, instead of keeping it on intense scenarios.

Back
Top Bottom