What games are you playing now?

I started Battlefield 1 yesterday. I wasn't going to buy it, but I started an Origin Access subscription, or whatever it's called, so my son could try the Battlefront II trial (seriously, paying money for a trial? WTF?). Anyway, noticed that I had access to Battlefield 1, so what the hell.

Verdict so far: average.
The airplane parts are utterly boring. I ended up skipping that particular story.
A lot of it feels like it could have been set in any old war. Full auto machine guns abound. Tanks. Flame throwers.
The exception is the story set in Gallipoli, which feels pretty authentic and is the part of WWI that I'm most interested in. They could have tripled that part of the game and I would have been a happy chappy.

I am playing Blade and Soul right now. Its a F2P Korean MMO meaning its P2W, has grind, bad RNG mechanics and boob jiggle. However, its "action" combat system and combat animation is one the best. Its up there with Tera. They have lot of skill and they all flow nicely and their combo just works seamlessly. Its nice system also since player skill as well as gear both works. There is lot to experiment and figure out. Since the combat is pure joy, the grind doesn't feel all that bad.

I find that Korean MMOs are excellent for "action" combat, animation, character model and world design. Blade and Soul is old but it still looks good. So I wish one day, these Korean designers work with western designers and bring in good story, get rid of bad RNG system and other western ideas in.

For example, ESO would be one of the best MMO with Blade and Soul combat and animation.

Impulse bought Assassin's Creed Origins.

Liking it a lot, so far - actually. Expected to get bored within 30 minutes, but a couple of hours went by surprisingly fast.

My only issue, so far, is that I accidentally assassinated a primary target without realising it was him. Very strange experience - as a bunch of cutscenes and stuff started playing which didn't seem related to anything I'd done.

They could sort of warn you when a primary target is within range or something. Maybe I missed it.

Also, it's not quite as pretty as I expected. Maybe it has something to do with playing a lot of Star Citizen 3.0 lately :)

Yup, visuals are not TW3. Especially not on consoles.

Just don't buy lootboxes from the kid who's selling those. The money is better invested elsewhere (after completing the main story).

I'm playing How to Survive, another Zombie infestation game. It's an older game that was on sale on Steam. In this one, you awake on an island with fuzzy memories just like in all the rest of them.

You have a choice of 5 or so characters to play. Each of these folks have slightly different skill trees, so replaying the game won't give the exact same experience. For instance one lady is great with bows, but not strong enough to develop melee skills. Another dude is a giant, but not so good with anything ranged, etc.

There is no building in this title. You can craft weapons and armor but you'll be finding pre-made shelters when you need to rest. The game focuses on the fights. They are simple and plentiful. You'll scavenge stuff to make your weapons and armor and you basically have melee, bows, rifles, and grenades. You can combine these in some cases, making explosive arrows and fiery bullets.

It's fairly entertaining and I think it's going to be short. Maybe 20 hours to complete. Since I paid <$4, that's okay.

It's fairly entertaining and I think it's going to be short. Maybe 20 hours to complete. Since I paid <$4, that's okay.

This was the best value for a game I ever had. A lot of fun, Kovac is a Legend, and I got it for 75c!!

There may be some Zombie boob, I'm not sure. Definitely Zombie ass. Basically, this is not a game for the Joxer as respawns are frequent. You need the respawns as some of the crafting stuff is from the corpses and you'll run out (mostly cloth fragments). There are a bunch of islands and they reload at least once a day maybe more. No big deal on the early islands, but you'll want to clear the bigger islands and leave. Use the smaller islands for restocking purposes. They're simple to clear.

I received Sakura dungeon a while back as a gag gift, and tried it out last week. So I've been playing that, and blushing along while playing! It is a bit risqué, but it is a decent dungeon crawler, although a bit simplistic.

Had to give up on Shadowrun: Hong Kong. Loved Returns & Dragonfall, but Hong Kong is a real slog compared to both of them. It just does so many things poorer, that after around 12 hours I've had to leave it.

Big shame and a bit gutted coz I buzzed off the previous 2 titles.

It's my first post on the 'Watch in awhile; I've been taking an extended break from RPGs to generally to rekindle the fire for the coming summer break. Instead in my downtime I've been exploring the online retro arcade scene with a view to going right back to the essences of gaming. It's been quite rejuvenating and motivating to do this to be honest, focusing on high scores and pushing one's personal playing skills to the limits. :) Curious related question: Any Watchers with scores on Twin Galaxies?

The RPG backlog that I'm set to attack in a couple of weeks once work ends though looks something like this:
- Shadowrun: Hong Kong (Got distracted only a few hours in...want to get back to that cyberpunk atmosphere!)
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (Some mixed views on this one here, but I'm naturally keen to check it for myself...)
- D:OS 2 (I kept up with the news and read all of the reports here...can't wait for this! Going in practically blind on what choices to make character wise...)
- Elex (I haven't bought it yet, but I've played all of PB's games and know I'll get something out of it...enjoyed reading the reviews and discussions on the game here too.)
- Ringed City DLC for Dark Souls III (Co-op with a buddy...needs to be done to finally complete the series!)

I know technically this isn't a "what games are you playing now" post, but hey, the expressed desired intention counts for something right? ;)

I'm playing Jade Empire. Only played about half an hour, and I'm already hating the combat. Hopefully, story will pick up soon to get me interested.

I'm playing Dead Rising and finding it much easier than when I played on console. I may even finish it this time. The real challenge in this game through is time management and trying to save all. I won't do it this go round but something to keep in mind for my next playthrough. I am also juggling Outcast: Second Contact and have to solve the temples puzzle in the first region. I have collected all the pieces and I think I know what I have to do but we will see.

Interesting Pessimeister mentioned getting back to arcade games as that is what I do when I feel tired after work. I play something like Galaga, Defender or Digger. You can't go wrong on simple games.

Decided to wait for another patch for Assassin's Creed Origins - because of an annoying stutter.

Played a bit of Destiny 2 - and I quite like it. It's probably the best shooter/RPG I've played in terms of the feel of combat. It's not very complex or interesting in terms of mechanics - but it's just delightful to shoot things.

I'm playing Jade Empire. Only played about half an hour, and I'm already hating the combat. Hopefully, story will pick up soon to get me interested.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts about this. I started it twice but could not continue due to the lacking story, boring conversations and focus on interactions. I like the theme and would like to start again if I know it gets better later.

I played Jade Empire years ago and thought it was fine (though the combat and controls were a little wonky). However, having said that I'm finding a lot of older games just don't match up to the best modern games. I believe things have truely improve in all areas over the years (though there are still a lot of crappy games release frequently - whether they be aaa or indie).

Back
Top Bottom