Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning - Fatesworm Launch on Dec 14th

Redglyph

proud GASP member
RPGamer reports that the extension for Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning will be released on December 14th.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning Fatesworm Expansion Launching This Month

THQ Nordic announced that the Fatesworn expansion to Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning will release on December 14, 2021. The expansion will be available on PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One for $19.99/EUR19.99/ 17.99, with a bundle containing both the game and the expansion priced at $54.99/EUR54.99/ 47.99.

Fatesworn features a new storyline alongside a new environment, multiple new quests and missions, new Chaos Realm dungeons, a new gameplay mechanic, new equipment, and new enemies. It involves a new threat to Amalur from the the icy lands of Mithros as the God of Chaos, Telogrus, awakens and starts gathering new followers.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning is a remaster of fantasy action RPG Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, which was developed by Big Huge Games and 38 Studios and released for PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 in 2012. Reckoning was created as part of the work for the MMORPG known as Project Copernicus, featuring a setting and history designed by author R. A. Salvatore. The MMORPG was cancelled when 38 Studios declared bankruptcy in May 2012, with THQ Nordic acquiring the IP in 2018. Re-Reckoning released for PC, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One in 2020, with a Nintendo Switch version released in 2021. Those looking to read more about Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning can check out Jervon Perkin's Deep Look at the PlayStation 4 version as well as Michael A. Cunningham's review of the original Xbox 360 release.

More information.

A fates-worm ? ;)

There'll be worms in it, at least.

I bought the reworked version, because I never played the original, but I am still in the first village and didn't finish all the quests there for some reason - I never know which game will grab me so I feel the urge to finish it and when I will just park in the first spot. But I don't mind to wait for the right moment to continue - so maybe I will end up buying that DLC.

I have started this game so many times since it released. I get to the same spot and stop every time. Not exactly sure what it is, the passion just disappears at a certain spot.

Wisdom, you've just summed up how a lot of people felt about this game at release: boring, too easy, and lackluster. I remember having to force myself to finish, and so happy when it was all done. I cannot imagine that many people will be interested in rebuying this less than average offering.

Here's a review at Wccf Tech.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning – Fatesworn Review – Fate is a Burden
[..]

The story of Fatesworn takes place after the events of the main campaign. After years of conflict, the Tuatha warlord Gadlow has been defeated by the Fateless One, and the Crystal War has finally reached its conclusion. The people of the Faelands thought that the time of peace and rebuilding had finally arrived, but it seems like the events that turned our hero the Fateless One started unraveling the Tapestry of Fate, leading to a new crisis that could spell the end of the world.

After receiving a mysterious letter, and fighting a group of Niskaru, the Fateless One is asked by the Order of Fateweavers to head over to the western region of Mithros and join Agarth, who journeyed to the mountainous region to investigate increased Niskaru activity. Eventually, it is discovered that this increased activity is due to Telogrus' cult, worshippers of the God of Chaos who aims to destroy destiny itself to release people from the bonds of Fate, and only the Fateless One has what it takes to stop what's happening and prevent the Chaos God from having it his way.

The Fatesworn story doesn't move much beyond the boundaries set in the main campaign, but it is enjoyable nonetheless, as it ties surprisingly well with the main campaign, is written nicely, and features the same amazing worldbuilding seen in the main story. It doesn't even overstay its welcome, clocking at around 6 hours or so. Those invested in the world will also be able to lengthen their stay in Mithros by discovering new Lorestones and completing sidequests that provide more information on the new mountainous region, its people, story, and traditions. The main story, new characters, and sidequests are all quite coherent with the setting and the established lore as well, so much that Fatesworn doesn't feel like an addition to a story that was concluded almost 10 years ago, but an integral part of the whole that has always been there.
[..]

With an engaging story, amazing lore and worldbuilding that fit nicely with what has been established in the main campaign, and a huge number of new well-crafted additions, ranging from a new location to new mechanics, new enemy types, and gear, Kingdoms of Amalur: Re-Reckoning - Fatesworn is a great way to end the story that started back in 2012 and a very good reason to journey back to Amalur one more time. The new content doesn't stray too far from what we have already seen, however, so only those who did fall to the dated charms of the base game will find it truly worthwhile.

Pros
  • Great worldbuilding, in line with the main campaign
  • Engaging story
  • Well-crafted new gameplay additions that fit nicely with the new story
  • New endgame content

Cons
  • The story, while engaging, is still a typical fantasy story
  • The new mechanics don't fundamentally alter how the game plays

"Burden" is an excellent word to describe this game, imo. Well, at least the original version, I've no idea how this recent iteration will actually play.

Back
Top Bottom