Risen DRM, hackers to the rescue

You could try smartclose.
It's a program that closes everything on your computer, except what is needed to run games.

google it and try.

Nikitaman in the WoR-forum said:

Use a direct link to "C:\program files\Deep Silver\Risen\bin\Risen.exe"
to start the game -

and not the created game link in the Windows 7 game folder.

I don't know if this works.

Use a direct link to "C:\program files\Deep Silver\Risen\bin\Risen.exe"
to start the game -

Tried this. Same result, 'Please insert original DVD "Risen"'

I have this same problem. I have never had any VD software on my computer. I only have one dvd drive, but I have a removable storage drive lettered ahead of it. I am not even sure what it is, maybe some kind of card drive. There would be no way to change that if that was the problem.

All drive letters can be changed ( except drive a: and c: )

Changing drive letters have no effect. Maybe the DVD is just defective.

I've noticed that opening Windows Explorer and just looking at the CD/DVD contents, BEFORE starting Risen, solves my "Insert Original Disc…."

Cheers!

Tried this. Same result, 'Please insert original DVD "Risen"'

I have this issue too, extremely frustrating.

I use Vista 32 bit home edition and had forgotten that I had Microsoft Defender running in the background along with my Trend Micro AV. Anyway, checking the task manager and killing the Microsoft Defender process seems to help in getting a good launch. Mentioning, just in case this helps someone else.

Last edited:
Edit: I was mistaken, besides killing my Trend Micro AV, and the Microsoft Defender, I have to kill the Groovemonitor, and the Microsoft Media Network and THEN Risen will start up!?!? (sheesh) What a mess! I run Oblivion, WOW, Fallout3, and have run LOTR, all of Office 2007, without ever having to kill any of this on the same PC.
:-/

Regarding DRM stuff - a small question: from those of you that purchased the game through gamersgate - what do they use there ?

The site lists securom (they also replied "securom+serials" to my email question), but it seems suspicious. Everywhere else it's tages used to different extent.

A little off topic, but I'm curious about gamersgate. Is it like steam/impulse and run through a program or is it like GoG where you can download the actual game. I checked the FAQ there and it's a little vague, but it sounds like you can download the whole game as many times as you like.

I guess in my mind I had more a less ruled out any legitimate use of these tools since we're talking about a gaming rig and not a work computer

One legitimate use is to backup any old cds you may have. I wouldn't have Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat or Return to Krondor if I hadn't of made an iso out of them a long time ago. Those CDs are now beyond repair.

If you never have used it before I highly recommend you at least check the tools to backup any older games you may have. They don't last forever :)

2 years ago GG had a "client" now it has none.
Yes you download full game + patches if you want , the games you buy and their keys are displayed on your account and you can download them anytime you want and as many times as you want (i have d/l EU3 & expansions like 10-15 times).
No it is not anything like steam , games are not installed into a specific folder , you don't have to allow net connection to play and they do not auto-update.

Thanks, Tragos.

Someone mentioned Planet Alcatraz at GamersGate and it looks interesting, but it's seems to be only available on GG. I just wanted to know if I would have to have another client on my machine in order to play that one. Two is more than enough clients for my machine. I wasn't going to install a third. Glad I don't have to if I want to get a game there.

Yep - GamersGate and Direct2Drive are different from Steam and Impulse ... and as Tragos mentions there are pros and cons of each.

I also have the same problem but only when I try to start the game with the shortcut, if I insert the disk and use the start menu that appears I have no problems with the game playing.

I find myself in a rather strange situation regarding piracy. I hate piracy for 2 reasons:
1) They're screwing up the gaming industry
2) It is because of them that we sit with DRM.

However, DRM is often so badly implemented, that I have come to habitually use the very hackers that make pirating possible in the first place.

In the good old days before DRM became prevalent, your game often needed only to be installed on your hard drive (if it wasn't streaming FMV off the disc) and you could play, with no disc in tray.

I don't like handling and switching discs every few minutes that I want to play a different game (I usually play 2 or 3 different games a day- unless I go into obsessive mode and stick to one).
I prefer keeping the discs nicely in their covers where they cannot gather dust or get scratched or lost.

So I've found a hacker site and often use the , er.. 'tools' they provide just to disable the DRM on all my currently loaded games, to enable me to just click and play.

Guess when I started using these "tools"? When I needed them to disable the DRM on the very original legitimate copy of Sacred way back then, when it gave me the exact similar message and problems that the OP has been struggling with with Risen.

So, basically DRM has brought me to the point where I use hackers' tools for my legit games. How screwed is that?

Of course, it has happened to me as well, that the DRM on a brand new off the shelf legitimately bought game has precluded me from playing the game, but then I'd been unable to find a "crack" for it…. grrrrrrrr - and in my area it's very difficult to justify getting the local stores to take a game back - you have to "prove" that the DRM blocks you on any system and not just your own personal system.

I wonder to what extent this kind of DRM really prevents piracy? I cannot imagine that it can be good for the gaming industry if a person new to gaming who decided to try out gaming as a hobby can't get half of his games to run because of the DRM.

On the other hand, I cannot understand the mentality of people who openly pirate (steal) stuff, and don't even seem to see what is wrong with what they are doing.

Apologies, but DRM and pirating is a bit of a "rant trigger" for me… :p

Back
Top Bottom