XCom2 opinions

Sounds to me like that's just a seeded number.

It's like in games where you have randomly generated maps. They each have a seed. That sequence of numbers drawn is essentially predetermined but the overall game is random.

I tend to play on iron-man or honest man if I have tons of mods on so I've not been able to see that though, but that would be my initial thought.

Yeah, I think it's something like that. I wonder why they would implement such a system though as opposed to having each shot individually calculated when it actually happens. Performance reasons? Or maybe it was just easier to code that way.

I think I'm getting close to the end now. I'm starting to see Sectopods thrown into the mix. I assume finishing the research projects in the Shadow Chamber is going to funnel me towards the endgame.

Yeah, I think it's something like that. I wonder why they would implement such a system though as opposed to having each shot individually calculated when it actually happens. Performance reasons? Or maybe it was just easier to code that way.

I think I'm getting close to the end now. I'm starting to see Sectopods thrown into the mix. I assume finishing the research projects in the Shadow Chamber is going to funnel me towards the endgame.

Yes.....

In fact, the percentage show IS a lie, if you're playing at normal difficulty or less. A lie in your favor. 80% shots hit 90% of the time, or something like that. Harder difficulties get the true number.
So you can't just re-load and keep taking shots. You can still go back a little bit and do shots (or anything else that requires a random number?) in a different order, but at least you can't just keep re-loading the same shot over and over until you hit.

I believe there's an option to change this if you want - no mod needed.

Still enjoying this, but it's become really easy towards the end. Does War of the Chosen have a more consistent difficulty curve?

Psionics are overpowered. The Domination ability is borderline gamebreaking.

Yeah, the psionics has an amazing rework mod as yes it's a bit stupid. You just train someone for half the campaign and then they come out like super Goku.

War of the Chosen doesn't change the end game too much but makes the mid game a bit more fun I think.

I find the game more fun with War of the Chosen as it does add some fun mechanics but I couldn't play without mods anymore :D

Maybe finish, take a break and when you do feel in the mood again then you can play WotC and with some new class mods and psionics reworked.

Yeah, the psionics has an amazing rework mod as yes it's a bit stupid. You just train someone for half the campaign and then they come out like super Goku.

War of the Chosen doesn't change the end game too much but makes the mid game a bit more fun I think.

I find the game more fun with War of the Chosen as it does add some fun mechanics but I couldn't play without mods anymore :D

Maybe finish, take a break and when you do feel in the mood again then you can play WotC and with some new class mods and psionics reworked.

Without spoiling WotC too much - just a little bit :p - War of the Chosen makes even the beggining of the game a bit too hard IMO (especially when the "Assassin" appears). She has some annoying skills, and everytime she showed up I was like "Oh God, not now..." If my advice is any good, I suggest you to get after her first as soon as you can.

And I agree with Pladio, WotC makes an already fun game even more fun. It's a meaty expansion, which brings new game mechanics, new enemies, and new structures to be built on the Avenger.

Without spoiling WotC too much - just a little bit - War of the Chosen makes even the beggining of the game a bit too hard IMO (especially when the "Assassin" appears). She has some annoying skills, and everytime she showed up I was like "Oh God, not now..." If my advice is any good, I suggest you to get after her first as soon as you can.

And I agree with Pladio, WotC makes an already fun game even more fun. It's a meaty expansion, which brings new game mechanics, new enemies, and new structures to be built on the Avenger.
Yeah the first time I met the assassin I got destroyed. But I now know how to beat her so it's not too bad unless she triggers with a bunch of other soldiers active at the same time.

Still enjoying this, but it's become really easy towards the end. Does War of the Chosen have a more consistent difficulty curve?

Psionics are overpowered. The Domination ability is borderline gamebreaking.
The game does get a little easy at the end. I don't mind that, tbh, since by the time that rolls around I'm usually about ready to be done with it anyway. I agree with Pladio that WOTC probably beefs up the mid-game more than anything. I'd say, trying not to spoil anything, that WOTC might even be a little easier at the end game. Partially because of the game itself and partially because you presumably already know what to do and what's important.

The game does get a little easy at the end. I don't mind that, tbh, since by the time that rolls around I'm usually about ready to be done with it anyway. I agree with Pladio that WOTC probably beefs up the mid-game more than anything. I'd say, trying not to spoil anything, that WOTC might even be a little easier at the end game. Partially because of the game itself and partially because you presumably already know what to do and what's important.

Hmm...well, that's disappointing. I still look forward to replaying it in the future with WotC, but the endgame has been a significant letdown compared to the early and middle stages. I was hoping the expansion would mitigate that in some way.

The end game, which I'll define as starting shortly after you build the shadow chamber, is as much about narrative as anything. The missions serve to tell the story more than create any significant new challenges. The penultimate fight is a little different and the final battle is fairly extensive but there aren't really any "oh shit" moments like when the rulers first show up, or wildly different situations like when the avenger gets shot down. That doesn't change at all with WOTC, although dealing with the Chosen could probably stretch into the end game if you didn't make it a priority.

The end game is even easier after War of The Chosen, but it makes getting there more challenging indeed. You should consider the game won after you kill the 3rd chosen.

The penultimate fight is a little different (…)

Which I do have recorded a video (but it's narrated in my mother tongue) for my YT channel :p :p :p

It's not a professional video (I don't even have the proper tools to do so) but if anyone cares to take a look and leave a like, I can only say "Thank You!!" (don't worry, it is not a monetized channel so no boring advertisements and the like :))

I paused my current XCOM2 WoTC gameplay, so I have yet to record the final mission.

The end game is even easier after War of The Chosen, but it makes getting there more challenging indeed. You should consider the game won after you kill the 3rd chosen.

I find it odd that they would make an expansion that adds significantly to the game but not also beef up the endgame while they had the chance.

I can only assume that most players don't have an issue with the decrease in challenge towards the end, but I find that odd as well.

Well, it has a lot of company. Many games tend to get easier as they go along. Those seem to be difficulties keeping games balanced for both completionist type players and more casual players that just go through a main quest and ignore most everything else.

The easier part of XCom2 doesn't last all that long, though, does it? Just a few missions while waiting for the last bits of tech to finish, and then its End Game. Those missions are fun for sure.

Finished it last night. The final battle was kind of ridiculous, but it was a lot of fun. Almost my entire squad was down to 1-3 health points at the end.

I want to play Phoenix Point to see how it compares.

Finished it last night. The final battle was kind of ridiculous, but it was a lot of fun. Almost my entire squad was down to 1-3 health points at the end.

I want to play Phoenix Point to see how it compares.

Glad you had fun.

I think PP improved on a lot of combat aspects, but I felt the general map to be a bit tedious. I only played it on initial release and I was waiting for final DLC to drop before going back in though, so maybe they improved it since too.

I think PP improved on a lot of combat aspects, but I felt the general map to be a bit tedious. I only played it on initial release and I was waiting for final DLC to drop before going back in though, so maybe they improved it since too.

The reviews are still mixed overall.

I just saw the announcement video for the Kaos Engines DLC being released March 1st. I hope that's the final DLC.

I've been staying away from PP, waiting for the DLC as well.

Did you play Troubleshooter yet, @JDR13;? Quite a different take. Many more skills, much smaller death penalties, and villains that honor masking mandates at all times.

Did you play Troubleshooter yet, @JDR13;? Quite a different take. Many more skills, much smaller death penalties, and villains that honor masking mandates at all times.

I've looked at it, but it's a little too Japanese for my taste.

Not that I don't like certain things from Japan, but the style of their games isn't one of them. ;)

But__ but__ it's Korean! That's why I like to call it K-COM!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom